Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #92 of 1,659
Two questions, if I may; can it function as a pre-amplifier for speakers, and can you use the USB to feed an external DAC (yes, I know you have the module but I have several DACs)..?
Thanks, I am definitely interested!
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Yes, it can be used as a pre-amp for active speakers or power amp.

Its USB output can actually be used to feed digital signal to different USB DAC if you want.

Standard Tidal Android version?
Would be Idagio available in the future?

Regards.

Yes, we will be using full Android apps of the streaming services.

We will try to provide better outlook on apps we want to add closer to the release.

Love the idea of this. I'm currently in love with the KANN Alpha and for my use case it's perfect for full size headphones. This would be an awesome desktop solution for me.

I'm surprised with the use of AKM chips. Shanling must've bought a bunch of overstock. I'd be buying this on launch, with the AKM factory fire I bet these will be very limited.

Yes, luckily this DAC module was in design for quite some time, so we have big enough stock of these AKM DACs.

Plastics or aluminum?

Aluminium construction.

in my opinion this product is a dap in a different package. m8 has 4497 akm, this 4497

DAC module itself is bigger than a DAP. M30 should be compared to desktop DACs and Amplifiers, not to DAPs.

Unless you need to run desktop headphones with a battery-powered device, I don't quite see the benefit of this over far better desktop amp/dac solutions for far less money. Also, if you're only using IEMs, you're already better off with Shanling's own M8 for $2000 less!

Based on what do you assume that you can get better desktop DAC/AMPs at far less money?
This is full fledged Desktop device, with batteries as a boost to the sound quality.

Hopefully M30 will be able to support bit-perfect playback thru the stock Tidal app, tho I strongly prefer Qobuz and have no issues with Bit-Perfect transmission thru the M3H and Bubble UPnP

Yea these are my thoughts as well. Battery powered operation is totally cool but why make a transportable product "intended for desktop use" still without hearing it first hand it's tough to form an opinion.

@Shanling maybe M30 will see a small review tour as I'm sure those of us in this market/price point would appreciate some hands on input/impressions and reviews.

Our Android system runs all the apps bit perfect, with no effect from Android SRC.

This is not designed as a transportable product, we have no intentions to compete with devices like transportable Chord DAC/AMPs. This is desktop device, that uses batteries for a clean power and boost in sound quality.

We plan to have some loaner units available around the world.

Is there any mention of the power output? Will be nice to have one solution to drive speakers directly.

Waiting for the full specification on output power. But M30 is designed to run headphones, not speakers.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #93 of 1,659
Well guys you all got the wrong thread to wyne and cry about your miseries of spending too much on audio gear. This is the m30 thread if your not happy then I am sorry for you.

I own tia fourte noir and Symbiote elite 19 and know nothing that sounds better then this setup.
If your crying that you spent 3k plus and only got 15% more quality and still not happy lol well thats your problem.

While I spent 3.8k on the iem and 1.5k on cable. Well I am beyond satisfied as I got a world class sound that nothing on the market can even come close to its performance. Yet! Its so good and it touches all my preferences.

So please keep the thread clean and related to M30

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #95 of 1,659
Mr @Shanling will spotify or tidal offeline work? For downloaded music?

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #96 of 1,659
Thanks @Shanling for the clarifications about DAC module that is being more advantages or larger than DAP

Yeah, it seems you put in batteries in the device and no matter what else is in it, people view it as a portable dac/amp at most.

People don't really remember days of Red Wine Audio and others.

Mr @Shanling will spotify or tidal offeline work? For downloaded music?

It will run the standard Android apps for this, including the offline mode.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #97 of 1,659
Yeah, it seems you put in batteries in the device and no matter what else is in it, people view it as a portable dac/amp at most.

People don't really remember days of Red Wine Audio and others.

It will run the standard Android apps for this, including the offline mode.

That's the thing many audiophiles aren't engineer's and dont really understand the issues power from the wall can cause....

You really need high end gear and trained ears to know this!

I been threw many setups in my journey.
And my ultimate goal was dmpz1 but sheesh the price and no streaming!

Shanling you are the first on the market creating a device that is desktop and is a true all in one do it all device! And has streaming!

I give you full support and believe in your product, as from my experience this is the best way to enjoy clean and high quality music. Finally my dream device has come true! 🥰🥰🥰

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #99 of 1,659
That means you are jumping in head first ? Then I will have to wait and see your impressions :)

I already contacted @MusicTeck and asked them to get 1 for me as soon as its released.
I will be the first owner on the planet 🤣😂

I have never been so excited about a product like this ever before.
I always follow my tiger senses and they never let me down ever.
I have a good way to feel genuinely good products

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #100 of 1,659
I spent 3.8k on the iem and 1.5k on cable

A fool and his money are soon departed.

That's the thing many audiophiles aren't engineer's

And may I ask where you got your bachelor of engineering degree from??

And yes you are correct about many if not all audiophiles are not engineers. If they were we would not have to read the nonsense they sprout on about in forums like these and they certainly would not be spending 1.5k on a cable and boasting about it.

And don't ever use audiophile and engineer in the same sentence. They are mutually exclusive and insulting to engineers of any discipline.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #101 of 1,659
Yes, it can be used as a pre-amp for active speakers or power amp.

Its USB output can actually be used to feed digital signal to different USB DAC if you want.

*SNIP*
Thank you very much for your reply! I look forward to seeing it and hopefully trying it out!
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #102 of 1,659
Apologies for the multi-quote replies but I've been offline for a whole 24 hours :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am quiet displeased with all your negativity towards shanling.

It's not negativity towards Shanling per se, rather fair comment about a product Shanling has put out there that doesn't seem to be very well thought through, uses parts and software that's already redundant, will depreciate faster than the sum of its parts and costs more than twice what it's realistically worth (if not more). It's not a personal attack, it's critical response to the facts by a number of very experienced people who've been in this hobby for a while. The same would apply to ANY manufacturer putting out this product.

If we can't hold manufacturers to account and expect a certain standard of performance for our money then we may as well all just put on our favourite brand T-shirts and get matching pom poms.

Price is a non issue if it's competitive again'st existing systems/products but trying to check too many boxs simply for the sake of being an "all in one" doesn't always give anything a competitive edge, it simply drives up the bill of materials which translates into a higher cost

Spot on! Extension of what I replied above.

And I will soon hear it, I own M8 and its best dap ever, do M30 will be even better !

How do you figure that? The M8 already has better specs than the M30. More storage, more modern DAC. This sounds like cheerleading to me.

Problems I see:
a. That future digital modules with AK99999 Quad DAC would cost another $1500-2000... The same as a complete A&K DAP. So upgrade would be as expensive as just buying a high-end DAP.
b. What do you do with the module that came stock with the M30? Nobody would buy it used, because everyone already got it (with their M30). So basically resale value of modules is $0.

Goes to my point about value and redundancy. This product hasn't been thought through. At all. And is overpriced by a factor >2.

Based on what do you assume that you can get better desktop DAC/AMPs at far less money?
This is full fledged Desktop device, with batteries as a boost to the sound quality

Based on personal experience with high-end desktop systems that cost half of what you're asking for the M30. Look, this isn't personal. But please don't pretend you're offering better value - let alone better sound quality - at $3600 just because this pseudo desktop device runs on batteries.

I own tia fourte noir and Symbiote elite 19 and know nothing that sounds better then this setup.

Nail on head. Your IEMs are the main reason for that sound quality. Are you planning on selling your IEMs and buying over-ear headphones for the M30? Because if you're not, you're:

1. Wasting your money on a desktop device.

2. Already have TWO devices that are better suited for your IEMs (M8 and DX300).

3. Good luck finding headphones that sound better than your IEMs.

Seriously, at this point I can only assume there's another reason for your blind support for the M30 other than wishful thinking or some strange idea that this device will somehow transcend what's already being done better for less money.

More importantly, as an experienced member of this community you should be giving newcomers better advice than what you currently are.

As always, the above is my own opinion, YMMV, and my door is always open for a PM discussion if you think I'm going OT.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #103 of 1,659
A fool and his money are soon departed.

And may I ask where you got your bachelor of engineering degree from??

And yes you are correct about many if not all audiophiles are not engineers. If they were we would not have to read the nonsense they sprout on about in forums like these and they certainly would not be spending 1.5k on a cable and boasting about it.

And don't ever use audiophile and engineer in the same sentence. They are mutually exclusive and insulting to engineers of any discipline.
Easy Mate,
Let's not make it personal. You want to express your opinion or disagree with the choices of others, it's fine. But don't denigrate a person because you believe they are wrong. As far as engineers...? Worked with lots of them from multiple disciplines and frankly, they would be a bit insulted by your insinuation that they couldn't be considered an engineer and an audiophile. But hey, what do I know, I'm only in it for the music!
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #104 of 1,659
From what I see there are some missed opportunities here.

1. I feel not comfortable to buy modular product in one preset combination. I want ak4499 dac or somelast gen sabre, and I am not going to pay extra for that later; I will wait when I am able yo configure the unit myself.

2. I might be wrong, but I understand thatmost of the controlling will have to be done on unit itself. For that purpose, no proper full-functionality remote app and flat display on body of the unit will be very limiting from the UX point of view, esp. if part of “hifi rack”.

I might be wrong, but these seem to be biggest detractors for me, based purely on the form factor.

Jan 22, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #105 of 1,659
For that purpose, no proper full-functionality remote app and flat display on body of the unit will be very limiting from the UX point of view, esp. if part of “hifi rack”.

I might be wrong, but these seem to be biggest detractors for me, based purely on the form factor.

We have remote app for it, both for Android and iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back