Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #62 of 1,660
Snapdragon 430, off-the-shelf DAC, op-amp based amplifier, Android that's nearly half a decade old, only 32GB ROM...

The modularity is pretty good, and while I'm all for it, at the price of $3600 it's quite ridiculous. Form-factor wise there's QLS, which are known for near-optimal DAC executions and Source quality capable of rivaling some o the most expensive dedicated servers out there. Sure, the QLS QA390 doesn't have Android or an Ethernet port or Tubes, though it's also only $1400. On the other hand, On the other hand there's the HiBy R8 sports a QC SP 660, 64GB ROM, full-blown android, and still is only $1900. it doesn't sport tubes though it fits in a pocket. I won't judge beyond this, but Shanling's pushing forth quite an expensive product that for now is spec-wise not king. Soundwise we'll still see. It'll sound amazing, likely. But will it be $3600 amazing? The market for this seems quite narrow IMHO.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #63 of 1,660
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #65 of 1,660
Cool idea. For whoever spends 4 grand for this, more power to you. Items in this hobby don't hold value long, especially Android devices. We'll be at Android 11-12 in a couple of years, so an item with Android 7, no matter how customized, is out of date at the start. I could see $2000-$2400, but the price of a good used car...no. Especially from a brand that isn't considered Boutique. Does it have hardware EQ? Bespoke dac? For 4 grand it batter make every headphone sound sublime. It doesn't particularly look hi-end either, at least not in the photos. Not like how B&W, Chord, Naim, BAT and others look. I like how someone is trying something new though...respect that. It's just the price that I can't justify.

Jan 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #66 of 1,660
3.5k are imho better spent on a decent dac/amp combo and a source like a fanless macbook air or even an ipad pro. Also portable and I can choose which software I want to run.

the problem is that boutique-manufacturers with their small production-runs habe no access to decent modern android SoCs and have to use lowend leftovers nobody uses in phones anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #68 of 1,660
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN heard it!!!!
Have you!!

Android 7 was officially released in August 2016.

Google has stopped support for Android 7 or earlier. This means that no more security patches or OS updates will be pushed out. The OS is obsolete before this device is even released.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #69 of 1,660
Wafer technologies, transistors and resistors printed on a wafer have 0.005% precision tolerances that can not be matched by any discrete transistors or resistors (highest is 0.5% resistor and 5% transistors - the reason why many things can tolerate within 5%). This is the main technical reason why DAC converter with IC based is always going to out perform any discrete in any tests
If I understand correctly, what you’re saying is that, besides implementation, delta-sigma dacs are generally much more accurate than ladder (r2r) dacs, right?

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #70 of 1,660
Have you!!

Android 7 was officially released in August 2016.

Google has stopped support for Android 7 or earlier. This means that no more security patches or OS updates will be pushed out. The OS is obsolete before this device is even released.

I dont care about os and dont cake about ram. This is a heavily modified android so as long your streaming apps work and work perfectly what the heck you care about security updates lmao.

This is a music device I dont want android securities....

And I will soon hear it, I own M8 and its best dap ever, do M30 will be even better !

Why you guys look ar soc and ram? This is designed to work well and will eficiently do all its tasks does it need soc 660? No

Whats the primary objective of this device? Music quality not the soc and youtube you can watch that on your cell phone

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #72 of 1,660
Cool idea. For whoever spends 4 grand for this, more power to you. Items in this hobby don't hold value long, especially Android devices. We'll be at Android 11-12 in a couple of years, so an item with Android 7, no matter how customized, is out of date at the start. I could see $2000-$2400, but the price of a good used car...no. Especially from a brand that isn't considered Boutique. Does it have hardware EQ? Bespoke dac? For 4 grand it batter make every headphone sound sublime. It doesn't particularly look hi-end either, at least not in the photos. Not like how B&W, Chord, Naim, BAT and others look. I like how someone is trying something new though...respect that. It's just the price that I can't justify.

They put a whole R2R in a DAP!
Luxury Precision P6 Lossless Bluetooth HiFi Audiophile Portable Music – MusicTeck

(I'm not a big fan of ASR, though based on this person's measurements, it would say it was a pretty big win! Wolfx700 Measurement&Review of Luxury&Precision P6 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum (Anything over 90db is good enough and chances are, there will be more significant problems that you can iron out rather than chase those 10db))

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #73 of 1,660
I am quiet displeased with all your negativity towards shanling.
They are unique! And only brand that put all there effort toward maximum sound quality. They offer outstanding hardware quality... Yes the software part lacks a bit behind.
But how can you all be so judgyfull on a device of this calliber!
YOU HAVEN'T EVEN heard it!!!!

This device offer dmp z1 functionality! But with much more features and opportunity to suit you prefect sound carachter!

What is it that you dont like? Because its a new way to listen to music you need to bash it and screm and wine that its not good?

Guys this is desktop performance on batteries just like dmpz1, modular is really good means you can easily upgrade in future 1 module and voila your back on track and on latest gear again!

And there is no competitor on the market against m30! No one offers this. And its 1/3 the price of dmp z1! And has streaming options!

If you want stay with daps for portability but your still limited. M30 is transportable this is not a dap lol so stop trying here.

Battery powered desktop gear is the future! Why no one understands this?

Go find me a desktop gear that cost 3.6k and has dac, amp, dap all in one? This is the cleanest and purest way to enjoy music!
No usb cables, no dirty pc, no wifi, no bluetooth all clean direct inside the same box. This is the best you can get period!

See you all in a few months lol remember my words 🤠😃🙃 nothing will touch M30 capabilities.

Tiger has spoken !
🐅🐾🔥🌪

You mean Quloos QLS QA390 Digital Music Player – Apos Audio
???

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #74 of 1,660

Users who are viewing this thread

Back