Introducing Shanling M3 Ultra - New Generation of Compact Android Portable Player
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #91 of 227

Good review but it doesn't touch on the software much or prime mode at all. We knew it would be a very good sounding DAP it is what Shanling is known for. The big question is about the usability. The Sony A300 is officially coming soon according to thewalkmanblogspot and it is on the Canadian testing sites so it will be available here. The M3X has finally become available in Canada for $499.00 CDN and already sold out. The M3 Ultra is $675 CDN on aliexpress so probably over $700 in Canada if available at all, way to rich for my blood even without software issues. The A300 is an evolution of the A series and not an entirely new model so I am hoping it will be cheaper and a better option if it is.

The premium price Canadians have to pay compared to the US makes most DAP's way out of my price range and not worth considering. Looks like the M1S will be much more inline with my budget and not paying massive price premium for Android. If sound quality is as good as Shanling claims then you likely won't give up much in sound quality vs much more expensive M3 Ultra. So looking forward to finally getting some info on the M1S. Decent Android DAP's are becoming so insanely expensive that the non-android DAP's are fast becoming the only affordable option.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #92 of 227
Good review but it doesn't touch on the software much or prime mode at all. We knew it would be a very good sounding DAP it is what Shanling is known for. The big question is about the usability. The Sony A300 is officially coming soon according to thewalkmanblogspot and it is on the Canadian testing sites so it will be available here. The M3X has finally become available in Canada for $499.00 CDN and already sold out. The M3 Ultra is $675 CDN on aliexpress so probably over $700 in Canada if available at all, way to rich for my blood even without software issues. The A300 is an evolution of the A series and not an entirely new model so I am hoping it will be cheaper and a better option if it is.

The premium price Canadians have to pay compared to the US makes most DAP's way out of my price range and not worth considering. Looks like the M1S will be much more inline with my budget and not paying massive price premium for Android. If sound quality is as good as Shanling claims then you likely won't give up much in sound quality vs much more expensive M3 Ultra. So looking forward to finally getting some info on the M1S. Decent Android DAP's are becoming so insanely expensive that the non-android DAP's are fast becoming the only affordable option.
You sure hit the nail on the head here my friend: "Decent" Android based apps. Getting small mobile devices to run "stock" Android isn;t rocket science. There's tons of budget entry level phones that run it smoothly and fine. The problem with most Android based DAP reviews is that they either unfairly knock the device for not running OTHER Android apps like a flagship phone (video, games, etc.) or go to the other extreme and make excuses for it poorly running the OS and relatively simple Android apps like music streaming, browser, etc.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #93 of 227
This is actually my first Android-based DAP after I was using Shanling M0 for quite some time.
This is my second Shanling Product because I like the volume wheel that Shanling Products have and I love the built quality of Shanling products. It is also fate i got to know Shanling because I am born in the same year when Shanling was established too :smiley:
I decided and brought M3 Ultra without any review since it was new and looked promising to me and I need a DAP since my M0 is no longer able to boot.

Gotten my unit on Double 11 Sales. I would say i love the size and hardware quality of this Shanling M3 Ultra (M0's screen is too small for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) .Screen Protectors are pre-applied for front and back, and there is glasses on the top and bottom of the device which look very solid built.
photo_2022-12-02_00-54-23.jpg
photo_2022-12-02_00-54-24.jpg
photo_2022-12-02_00-54-24 (2).jpg

However, I noticed there is some software issue that I think Shanling can look into it.

1. Unable to connect to Public Wifi that required web-based login. When I am connecting to some Public Wifi, for example in the gym, this DAP does not redirect me to the web-login page for the wifi but it shows "connected". But it is connected without any internet access and I cannot find any workaround for this. There is no issue with my Android phone connecting to the same wifi. Not sure it is due to it being based on Open Android.
  2. I am not sure why some software detected Shanling M3 Ultra as rooted. As I am also a Group Exercise Instructor, I was thinking to install LesMills Release app into this device, but I got the warning of this device is rooted and unable to use the app

photo_2022-12-02_00-57-17.jpg
  3. I am unable to sort the song list in Shanling Music App. The playlist is also not sorted properly. For example, if the playlist is ordered based on the song title . I am not sure why when I added the song at a later time was inserted in front of the last song that I added earlier. There is also no way for us to choose how the playlist can be sorted. Thus, I have to give up using Shanling Music App since my song playlist if not in the correct order and it is hard to be used for my Group Exercise classes. Since Shanling is running on the Andriod platform, I am using VLC or Fiio Music app as a workaround. Frankly, I noticed the Fiio Music app has a better UI compared with the Shanling Music app, we can do custom sorting by dragging the music up and down or sorting based on the order selection. I think allowing customize of the sorting for Playlist is the most basic feature that Shanling should provide for the user to choose from. Actually there is 1 thing that the Shanling Music app does better than the Fiio Music app is Shanling Music app is optimized for tablets while the Fiio Music app is not optimized for tablets. but both the Shanling Music app and the Fiio Music app only support portrait view, not landscape view.
Shanling Music App - Unable to sort the music in the order we wanted. No Option in the menu.
photo_2022-12-02_01-07-12.jpg
Fiio Music app - Allow custom sorting or sorting by the selection as dropdown below.
photo_2022-12-02_01-08-17 (2).jpg

Overall, I won't be able to comment much since I just started to use this DAP. But I like it is Android based thus I can have some workaround when Shanling Music Player is having some bugs / missing features. Unlike M0 which I suffer a lot due to the software limitation. I tried to use this M3 Ultra for my Group Exercise Classes and it makes a lot of difference compared with music played from my tablets. Most importantly I can adjust the volume precisely during the class. I am happy with my purchase as of now. aside from the software issues that I stated earlier while I am using it for the past 5 days.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #94 of 227
I have the m3x since august 2022 and when i see the specs of the ultra version, i'm still happy to have the first gen: the new m3x get a new cpu but with the same dac, same build, same screen... So, the deal dont seems so good.

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #95 of 227
Dec 1, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #96 of 227
This is actually my first Android-based DAP after I was using Shanling M0 for quite some time.
This is my second Shanling Product because I like the volume wheel that Shanling Products have and I love the built quality of Shanling products. It is also fate i got to know Shanling because I am born in the same year when Shanling was established too :smiley:
I decided and brought M3 Ultra without any review since it was new and looked promising to me and I need a DAP since my M0 is no longer able to boot.

Gotten my unit on Double 11 Sales. I would say i love the size and hardware quality of this Shanling M3 Ultra (M0's screen is too small for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) .Screen Protectors are pre-applied for front and back, and there is glasses on the top and bottom of the device which look very solid built.
photo_2022-12-02_00-54-23.jpgphoto_2022-12-02_00-54-24.jpgphoto_2022-12-02_00-54-24 (2).jpg

However, I noticed there is some software issue that I think Shanling can look into it.

1. Unable to connect to Public Wifi that required web-based login. When I am connecting to some Public Wifi, for example in the gym, this DAP does not redirect me to the web-login page for the wifi but it shows "connected". But it is connected without any internet access and I cannot find any workaround for this. There is no issue with my Android phone connecting to the same wifi. Not sure it is due to it being based on Open Android.
  2. I am not sure why some software detected Shanling M3 Ultra as rooted. As I am also a Group Exercise Instructor, I was thinking to install LesMills Release app into this device, but I got the warning of this device is rooted and unable to use the app

photo_2022-12-02_00-57-17.jpg
  3. I am unable to sort the song list in Shanling Music App. The playlist is also not sorted properly. For example, if the playlist is ordered based on the song title . I am not sure why when I added the song at a later time was inserted in front of the last song that I added earlier. There is also no way for us to choose how the playlist can be sorted. Thus, I have to give up using Shanling Music App since my song playlist if not in the correct order and it is hard to be used for my Group Exercise classes. Since Shanling is running on the Andriod platform, I am using VLC or Fiio Music app as a workaround. Frankly, I noticed the Fiio Music app has a better UI compared with the Shanling Music app, we can do custom sorting by dragging the music up and down or sorting based on the order selection. I think allowing customize of the sorting for Playlist is the most basic feature that Shanling should provide for the user to choose from. Actually there is 1 thing that the Shanling Music app does better than the Fiio Music app is Shanling Music app is optimized for tablets while the Fiio Music app is not optimized for tablets. but both the Shanling Music app and the Fiio Music app only support portrait view, not landscape view.
Shanling Music App - Unable to sort the music in the order we wanted. No Option in the menu.
photo_2022-12-02_01-07-12.jpg
Fiio Music app - Allow custom sorting or sorting by the selection as dropdown below.
photo_2022-12-02_01-08-17 (2).jpg

Overall, I won't able to comment much since I just started to use this DAP. But I like it is Adnriod bassed thus I can have some workaround when Shanling Music Player is having some bugs / missing features. Unlike M0 which I suffer a lot due to the software limitation. I tried to use this M3 Ultra for my Group Exercise Classes and it makes a lot of difference compared with music played from my tablets. Most importantly I can adjust the volume precisely during the class. I am happy with my purchase as of now. aside from the software issues that I stated earlier while I am using it for the past 5 days.
1. Not sure if you already tried this. I was able to get around web-based Wi-Fi logins by downloading a web browser with my m6u and m3x. Once connected I open chrome and it redirects to login page.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #98 of 227

Overall, I won't able to comment much since I just started to use this DAP. But I like it is Adnriod bassed thus I can have some workaround when Shanling Music Player is having some bugs / missing features. Unlike M0 which I suffer a lot due to the software limitation. I tried to use this M3 Ultra for my Group Exercise Classes and it makes a lot of difference compared with music played from my tablets. Most importantly I can adjust the volume precisely during the class. I am happy with my purchase as of now. aside from the software issues that I stated earlier while I am using it for the past 5 days.

1. Just try to open any page in Via browser, it should redirect you to the log-in page.

2. I don't think we saw any app reporting our device as rooted, will test it out.

3. Yes, Playlist sorting is severely lacking in our app. But the open Android system helps with this.

I have the m3x since august 2022 and when i see the specs of the ultra version, i'm still happy to have the first gen: the new m3x get a new cpu but with the same dac, same build, same screen... So, the deal dont seems so good.

The sound tuning and overall sound quality is different on M3U, so it's not just about the CPU/system.

1. Not sure if you already tried this. I was able to get around web-based Wi-Fi logins by downloading a web browser with my m6u and m3x. Once connected I open chrome and it redirects to login page.

M3U, as all our player, have already internet browser installed, it's the Via app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #99 of 227
1. Just try to open any page in Via browser, it should redirect you to the log-in page.

2. I don't think we saw any app reporting our device as rooted, will test it out.

3. Yes, Playlist sorting is severely lacking in our app. But the open Android system helps with this.

The sound tuning and overall sound quality is different on M3U, so it's not just about the CPU/system.

M3U, as all our player, have already internet browser installed, it's the Via app.

1) I tried and it does redirect me into any login page. Even I try to login to any website it does not redirect.
2) Hope Shanling team can look into it
3) In this case, prime mode is considered useless for me since I to use another app for my music playing. I hope Shanling Team can work on this enhancement and should not be an excuse because it is running on Android. I am using Fiio Music app on a Shanling device (but Fiio Music app needs subscription to play MQA on non Fiio devices). that is so funny :sunglasses:

Anyway, your prompt support on this forum is really appreciate and reason I choose Shanling devices. Waiting for the good news on this
Thanks for info but it does not redirect me to any page. It shows connected on the Wi-Fi Setting after I have chosen the SSID without require me to login. but no internet access at all.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #100 of 227
1) I tried and it does redirect me into any login page. Even I try to login to any website it does not redirect.
2) Hope Shanling team can look into it
3) In this case, prime mode is considered useless for me since I to use another app for my music playing. I hope Shanling Team can work on this enhancement and should not be an excuse because it is running on Android. I am using Fiio Music app on a Shanling device (but Fiio Music app needs subscription to play MQA on non Fiio devices). that is so funny :sunglasses:

Anyway, your prompt support on this forum is really appreciate and reason I choose Shanling devices. Waiting for the good news on this

Thanks for info but it does not redirect me to any page. It shows connected on the Wi-Fi Setting after I have chosen the SSID without require me to login. but no internet access at all.
Interesting, on networks I tried Via browser worked fine. If you install Chrome browser, does it work correctly with the network log-in?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 2, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #102 of 227
Does M3U still using shanling player and not eddict player?, shanling player has stop getting updates on 2021 while eddict still has update
They are different apps.

Our Android players are using special version of Shanling Music player that keeps getting continuous updates.

Eddict player app is developed as companion app for use on iOS and Android smartphones.

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #103 of 227
Received my order the other day. Great player! Very fast interface without lags and brakes. Chic crystal sound with expressive mids and solid bass. Before this player I had: Cayin N3Pro, HiBy R3 Pro Saber, Shanling UP4, Shanling M0, Sony NW-A105, FiiO BTA30, SMSL C200, Moondrop Moonriver 2 and Astell&Kern KANN. So I have something to compare.
DSD 256 plays without problems.
The regular software player is really very unfinished. Especially in terms of sorting music files and interacting with network storage (NAS). The player stubbornly refuses to download album covers in good quality from a network drive. But BubbleUPnP and USB Audio Player PRO proved to be fully compatible with this player and 100% satisfied my needs for ease of use and interaction with external devices.
Many thanks to Shanling for the excellent hardware! I wish you to improve your software.
PXL_20221203_190242750.jpg
IMG_20221204_203226.jpg
PXL_20221203_193125933.jpg
PXL_20221203_200338273.jpg

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #104 of 227
I will list the errors in the work of the regular player together with network storages (NAS).
1. Does not display artist information
2. Does not display the bit depth of the file being played (the information is shown in the statusbar line! Miracle!)
3. The album cover does not match the file in the music folder
4. Cover quality is poor
5. The player is very slow to open the music file
2022_12_05_21.53.37_100616.jpg

None of these problems is present if the same music file is played from a memory card!!!

For example, I will give a screenshot of USB Audio Player PRO. This player works perfectly with both network attached storage (NAS) and a memory card.
2022_12_05_21.56.34_100608.jpg

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #105 of 227

The M3U is listed as having ricore amps, are these just the amps built into the dac chips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back