Introducing Penon new flagship - Penon Volt IEM & Penon Totem IEM Cable
May 28, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #136 of 194
If you have never inversed a tip before you can do this with practically any tip. What this does is it creates a horn effect for your earphones. Opens up the sound of any IEM.

You probably have a crap ton of throw in tips like everyone else does. Start with those. You will be surprised how good those become after you do this. Them starline tips that is in the video was useless for me as their larges are effectively medium in size beyond that they were pretty much nothing special. You can buy a large amount of those for nothing on ebay.

When you inverse them tips it literally becomes one of the best tips that I would actually pay money for. The inside out starlines now has a grippy surface and then even better the stem of the tips become longer. I hate short nozzle tips they are useless for me so longer nozzle tips end up working much better for my needs.

The best part is doing this mod effectively opens up the sound of any IEM they are attached to. The key to doing this mod is that you need the right bolt. If you dont have a can of bolts and nuts in the house somewhere. Go by your friendly neighborhood hardware store. Take a few tips with you and try this and buy a few bolts which will cost nothing.

May 28, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #137 of 194
@Dsnuts @ehjie -- Thanks.

From reading, this doesn't appear to be specific to the Volt, correct? Meaning I can play around with tips on all my IEMs. Super!

Yes, that's correct.
It was a re-discovery tip for the Globes, actually. One day, inverted tips were the discussion, someone mentioned the E-pro. With my e-pros on hand, I immediately inverted them, tried them on the Globes, presto! instant success.
The differences are very immediate...

May 28, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #138 of 194
... The key to doing this mod is that you need the right bolt. If you dont have a can of bolts and nuts in the house somewhere. Go by your friendly neighborhood hardware store. Take a few tips with you and try this and buy a few bolts which will cost nothing.
Bolt my ass! Imagonnause a screw :)
Yes, that's correct.
It was a re-discovery tip for the Globes, actually. One day, inverted tips were the discussion, someone mentioned the E-pro. With my e-pros on hand, I immediately inverted them, tried them on the Globes, presto! instant success.
The differences are very immediate...
Yep, lots of silicon tips floating around, I've generally preferred foam tips in most cases. So I'm looking forward to hearing something new.

Did order a package of Medium E-pros though.

May 28, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #139 of 194
Re: The Volts
1622233501674.png

Just finished the ENTIRE album, w/o even hitting the fwd button!
But why should i listen to such a heavily compressed production?

I purchased this cd a year after its release, 1997.
Its one of those albums, i memorised almost by heart, i love the substance of the album. How they were produced?
For what intent it was recorded like so, not very much fond of that compression techniques.

But for what the entire album is worth:
1. This is a basshead album - check out the stage depth -from where the bass tones emanate.
2. Bass bloat checker - sub-bass to mid bass bleed. if it bleeds, sorry that's not an ideal set what you're hearing
3. Bono's vocal qualities, as well as the Edge's (from where my friends called me back in school "Edgy" then "Ehjie") and Adam's, too
4. Unbelievable extended cymbal crashes - are they really that long? or just inherent to the Volts?
5. Studio / live set feels. Multiple settings, proper staging i.e. listener sits in the recording engineers deck room, sometimes w/ the band...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #140 of 194
Volt Totem on full Desktop size imaging on this source
Those Sonion ESTs got the driving power they require...
volt.totem.300.png

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #142 of 194
Just received my Volts, can anyone recommend me a good dap to pair with them? My budget is up to 400USD, I've been eyeing Shanling M3X and M5s, any other option for around that price?
Currently I'm using Lotoo Paw S1 and Qudelix 5k but I'd like to have a separate dap.IMG20210609132538.jpg
I’m hoping to receive mine tomorrow! I’m going to be using an ifi xdsd and q5k. Can let you know how they pair and scale with my jotunheim v1.

congrats on new set :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #143 of 194
Just received my Volts, can anyone recommend me a good dap to pair with them? My budget is up to 400USD, I've been eyeing Shanling M3X and M5s, any other option for around that price?
Currently I'm using Lotoo Paw S1 and Qudelix 5k but I'd like to have a separate dap.
I picked up the M3X about 5 weeks ago and have written extensively about my expereince with it on the M3X thread. The long and the short of it is this: the little M3X once it burnt in is everything the LP6K is and more in a smaller, more battery efficieient package. I'm genuinely getting 16 hours out of it on a balanced connection. I've been A/B testing tracks between the two devices and I by far prefer the M3X ove the LP6K. And having come from the M5S, which I loved, the M3X is a significant step up from the M5S - even at a lower price. Shanling has pulled off some amazing wizardry in this little DAP. The canvas or background of the Lotoo may be just little more black - but to get there, it needs the PMEQ preset "Headphone" where the little M3X goes toe to toe with it with no EQ and when EQ is activated it can do everything the P6K can and more. . The other thing that's interesting to me is that the LP6K is rated 300mW SE and BAL yet the M3X at a stated 265mW produces far more sound at a lower volume. If I want to volume match same track, same IEM, same cable. I need to punch the LP6K to 55 / 100 where I'm at 30 / 100 on the Shanling. And with my planars, I need High Gain on the Lotoo, where I have plenty of juice on the M3X out of low gain. Also on my M5S, I ran everything on high gain but it's not necessary on the M3X. Dont let the price fool you or the fact that it's postioned as an enetry level DAP dissuade you. All the trickle down from the M8 is there, Now I'm not saying the M3X will take on the M8 at $1600 but it rund circles around the LP6K at $1200 . Spend some time on the last 50% of the M3X Thread. It's pretty unanimous - It's an outstanding player. I'm somewhat tempted to post this on the LP6K thread but dont want the hassle of getting beat up by all the zealots justifying their purchases up over it. Ive shared my view with a few other "Headphonus Supremus" members who have had the Lotoo and they agree with me. I think the M3X is underrated and the LP6K is over rated, so if it's on your shortlist, trust me on this one - put it in your shopping cart.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #144 of 194
I picked up the M3X about 5 weeks ago and have written extensively about my expereince with it on the M3X thread. The long and the short of it is this: the little M3X once it burnt in is everything the LP6K is and more in a smaller, more battery efficieient package. I'm genuinely getting 16 hours out of it on a balanced connection. I've been A/B testing tracks between the two devices and I by far prefer the M3X ove the LP6K. And having come from the M5S, which I loved, the M3X is a significant step up from the M5S - even at a lower price. Shanling has pulled off some amazing wizardry in this little DAP. The canvas or background of the Lotoo may be just little more black - but to get there, it needs the PMEQ preset "Headphone" where the little M3X goes toe to toe with it with no EQ and when EQ is activated it can do everything the P6K can and more. . The other thing that's interesting to me is that the LP6K is rated 300mW SE and BAL yet the M3X at a stated 265mW produces far more sound at a lower volume. If I want to volume match same track, same IEM, same cable. I need to punch the LP6K to 55 / 100 where I'm at 30 / 100 on the Shanling. And with my planars, I need High Gain on the Lotoo, where I have plenty of juice on the M3X out of low gain. Also on my M5S, I ran everything on high gain but it's not necessary on the M3X. Dont let the price fool you or the fact that it's postioned as an enetry level DAP dissuade you. All the trickle down from the M8 is there, Now I'm not saying the M3X will take on the M8 at $1600 but it rund circles around the LP6K at $1200 . Spend some time on the last 50% of the M3X Thread. It's pretty unanimous - It's an outstanding player. I'm somewhat tempted to post this on the LP6K thread but dont want the hassle of getting beat up by all the zealots justifying their purchases up over it. Ive shared my view with a few other "Headphonus Supremus" members who have had the Lotoo and they agree with me. I think the M3X is underrated and the LP6K is over rated, so if it's on your shortlist, trust me on this one - put it in your shopping car

I picked up the M3X about 5 weeks ago and have written extensively about my expereince with it on the M3X thread. The long and the short of it is this: the little M3X once it burnt in is everything the LP6K is and more in a smaller, more battery efficieient package. I'm genuinely getting 16 hours out of it on a balanced connection. I've been A/B testing tracks between the two devices and I by far prefer the M3X ove the LP6K. And having come from the M5S, which I loved, the M3X is a significant step up from the M5S - even at a lower price. Shanling has pulled off some amazing wizardry in this little DAP. The canvas or background of the Lotoo may be just little more black - but to get there, it needs the PMEQ preset "Headphone" where the little M3X goes toe to toe with it with no EQ and when EQ is activated it can do everything the P6K can and more. . The other thing that's interesting to me is that the LP6K is rated 300mW SE and BAL yet the M3X at a stated 265mW produces far more sound at a lower volume. If I want to volume match same track, same IEM, same cable. I need to punch the LP6K to 55 / 100 where I'm at 30 / 100 on the Shanling. And with my planars, I need High Gain on the Lotoo, where I have plenty of juice on the M3X out of low gain. Also on my M5S, I ran everything on high gain but it's not necessary on the M3X. Dont let the price fool you or the fact that it's postioned as an enetry level DAP dissuade you. All the trickle down from the M8 is there, Now I'm not saying the M3X will take on the M8 at $1600 but it rund circles around the LP6K at $1200 . Spend some time on the last 50% of the M3X Thread. It's pretty unanimous - It's an outstanding player. I'm somewhat tempted to post this on the LP6K thread but dont want the hassle of getting beat up by all the zealots justifying their purchases up over it. Ive shared my view with a few other "Headphonus Supremus" members who have had the Lotoo and they agree with me. I think the M3X is underrated and the LP6K is over rated, so if it's on your shortlist, trust me on this one - put it in your shopping cart.
I remember reading your impressions on the M3x thread! I'm very tempted to buy it.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #145 of 194
Currently I'm using Lotoo Paw S1 and Qudelix 5k but I'd like to have a separate dap.IMG20210609132538.jpg

Congrats! The Volts are not picky @ all. You can choose any brand including the dx160...

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #146 of 194
Jun 11, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #147 of 194
From last night i traveled from my current location a 100 mi. (one way) to visit my "neighbours" @kotetsu & @Jackomik.
A cold one was the perfect start for some vinyl spinning, digital tracks and portables. We stayed up to 0330. The Volts were the portable centre piece played back onto half a dozen players, sources including that set below the Rega P3; Mscaler-Cutest-WA6. Volts' performance was Nothing short of astounding!
Will share the highlights as i just arrived back from them.
It's been great seeing you gents and
Thank you very much for the generosity...
IMG_20210611_003657.jpg

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #148 of 194
How do you wear your volts? Typically one would result in more bass with Jerry Harvey iems but I can’t really tell a difference here. The tighter fit sits better in my ear.

Attachments

• 1432A2DA-9289-4E17-8255-4CB748CE7B34.jpeg
    1432A2DA-9289-4E17-8255-4CB748CE7B34.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 22483ADE-D517-4D13-AEF4-CC888C718C85.jpeg
    22483ADE-D517-4D13-AEF4-CC888C718C85.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 12, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #149 of 194
How do you wear your volts? Typically one would result in more bass with Jerry Harvey iems but I can’t really tell a difference here. The tighter fit sits better in my ear.

1623476023396.png

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #150 of 194

Users who are viewing this thread

Back