Introducing Penon new flagship - Penon Volt IEM & Penon Totem IEM Cable
Jun 12, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #151 of 194

How do you wear your volts? Typically one would result in more bass with Jerry Harvey iems but I can’t really tell a difference here. The tighter fit sits better in my ear.

Any orientation will work. However, the Back of the shells should seal this area of the concha .
Not only the bass gets the benefit, but the entire audible spectrum...
1623491202169.png

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #152 of 194
From last night i traveled from my current location a 100 mi. (one way) to visit my "neighbours" @kotetsu & @Jackomik.
A cold one was the perfect start for some vinyl spinning, digital tracks and portables. We stayed up to 0330. The Volts were the portable centre piece played back onto half a dozen players, sources including that set below the Rega P3; Mscaler-Cutest-WA6. Volts' performance was Nothing short of astounding!
Will share the highlights as i just arrived back from them.
It's been great seeing you gents and
Thank you very much for the generosity...
IMG_20210611_003657.jpg
Most welcome! It was indeed a fun night.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #153 of 194
Any orientation will work. However, the Back of the shells should seal this area of the concha .
Not only the bass gets the benefit, but the entire audible spectrum...
1623491202169.png
According to this diagram, I get a better seal with the second orientation in the right. I just had an opportunity to experiment while at work so might have a different opinion later.

1623526439809.jpeg

That’s a uni lola and it stuck out so much further haha so I’m happy with the volt not being that dramatic.

1623526811905.jpeg

for me I think the soundstage in jerry Harvey iems is the very best I have heard, only matched by legend x. I think the volt might be just a touch behind something like fh7. I’m very happy with that placement for me. as I think the mids and treble are more refined in the volt than fh7.

I’m using unbalanced 3.5mm with ifi xdsd and it gives the treble some nice articulation as I have heard smoother iems in cca ca16 and jq hua jiang. I love the mids to treble presentation in volt and just find the sub bass a little disjointed to my taste from the mix. I feel like this isn’t too big of a problem thus far for me because to my ears most acoustic bass instruments seem to be picked up by the BAs. High toms, double bass, berry sax
all sound “accurate” to me and not as bloomy as hua jiang was. And I actually like this kind of presentation bc it sounds more “natural” than the BE drivers I enjoy so much.

I might just not understand frequency bands as they correspond to instruments but this is my interpretation of what I’m hearing. I may just be spoiled by imr rah and dk3001 pro as those are some of my favorite dynamic drivers I have heard to date. I really like the presentation the volt provides and REALLY enjoy a lot of music other than electronic on them.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #154 of 194
According to this diagram, I get a better seal with the second orientation in the right. I just had an opportunity to experiment while at work so might have a different opinion later.

1623526439809.jpeg

That’s a uni lola and it stuck out so much further haha so I’m happy with the volt not being that dramatic.

1623526811905.jpeg

for me I think the soundstage in jerry Harvey iems is the very best I have heard, only matched by legend x. I think the volt might be just a touch behind something like fh7. I’m very happy with that placement for me. as I think the mids and treble are more refined in the volt than fh7.

I’m using unbalanced 3.5mm with ifi xdsd and it gives the treble some nice articulation as I have heard smoother iems in cca ca16 and jq hua jiang. I love the mids to treble presentation in volt and just find the sub bass a little disjointed to my taste from the mix. I feel like this isn’t too big of a problem thus far for me because to my ears most acoustic bass instruments seem to be picked up by the BAs. High toms, double bass, berry sax
all sound “accurate” to me and not as bloomy as hua jiang was. And I actually like this kind of presentation bc it sounds more “natural” than the BE drivers I enjoy so much.

I might just not understand frequency bands as they correspond to instruments but this is my interpretation of what I’m hearing. I may just be spoiled by imr rah and dk3001 pro as those are some of my favorite dynamic drivers I have heard to date. I really like the presentation the volt provides and REALLY enjoy a lot of music other than electronic on them.

Actually using the Totem cable on the Volts stretches the Sound field in all directions, approaching or reaching the Solaris classic Gold level for depth.
and they are one of the Largest sound fields i have ever heard including full size cans.
The largest and deepest sound field i experienced was the Beyer T5P 2g powered by the Woo SA6 LE...

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #155 of 194
Jun 15, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #156 of 194
Where do you think the ESTs pick up the treble. I just feel like the mid bass has great definition and speed I can’t believe it would only be coming from the single dynamic! I feel like the BAs cover a lot of the lower mids and even into some upper mid bass. I’m becoming increasingly more pleased with with the sub bass response on this set. Jazz trumpet like Christian Scott sounds to my ears like the timbre created by an EST driver.

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #157 of 194
Referring to @tgx78 's graph, the pink line should be the transition bet. the BA to the 4 x ests
May not look like much, but they are 4 Est units per side. I tried them on tracks w/ multiple cymbal crashes, left and right, percussion.
The Volts create this astonishing treble extension, decay and lingers in the air for a very long time. Yet they still sound very realistic.

I read somewhere that Penon was generous in assigning high quality receivers and drivers on the Volts.
They believe, that should they place in "just good" parts are simply not acceptable, may not feel proud to call them a Flagship unit.
That custom 1 x dynamic driver is probably one of the best (for design, quality & tuning) in the entire IEM industry, regardless of price range.
Compared to the other flagships w/ BA trebles, Volt ests have their natural tone and is more convincing to listen to, more hi-fi.
With the Volts implementation, Ests are here to stay...

1623790041491.png

1623789745190.png

Attachments

• 1623789725128.png
    1623789725128.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 23, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #159 of 194
New cable flagship Storm is in :)

00EF685B-9280-4C26-A095-4B1C2502AE53.jpeg

Blind purchase and I am quite happy with it, it’s not aiming at reference but rather a very organic and natural presentation with superb technicalities on top… it’s less punchy than Totem but very intoxicating and engaging and works superbly with Vision Ears Elysium and Tansio Mirai Spark for example

More in depth impressions later…

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #160 of 194
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #161 of 194

Blind purchase and I am quite happy with it, it’s not aiming at reference but rather a very organic and natural presentation with superb technicalities on top… it’s less punchy than Totem but very intoxicating and engaging and works superbly with Vision Ears Elysium and Tansio Mirai Spark for example

O.K.....that's sexy. Glad these are a limited run (I think), hahahaha. They'll be sold out before I'll be able to convince myself to get one. :smile:

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #163 of 194
I'm currently using an Alo Ref8 cable with my Volt, I'm satisfied with the sound but not with ergonomics.
Any rec'ed cable for the Volt? I'm looking for a light one, highly flexible under $200. Thanks

Yeah ALO Ref8 is a bit rigid... That's twice 200$ but I like the ISN Solar (https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-solar.html). Closer to your budget, Dunu Blanche is nice but not as good.

Volt deserves a good cable... I still have to try Penon Storm new flagship with it btw :p

Edit : Well I just plugged it to Storm and I like what I am hearing, although I might prefer Totem on that combo given the cable sound profile and Volt signature. I'll spend more time and report impressions.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #164 of 194

00EF685B-9280-4C26-A095-4B1C2502AE53.jpeg

Congrats. will be waiting for further impressions.
The Totem doesn't add anything up top - it increases definition...

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #165 of 194

Users who are viewing this thread

Back