Introducing Penon new flagship - Penon Volt IEM & Penon Totem IEM Cable
Mar 15, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #76 of 194
Just curious if any Volt owner has tried the DUNU Blanche cable? I am mulling over going that combo (big fan of DUNU in general, and even though the consensus opinion of the Volt typically would make me shy away, I might be willing to take the plunge if a not-crazy-priced silver cable like the Blanche might make it more my flavor).
I don’t have the DUNU Blanche, but I do like using the Volt with a pure silver cable best. However, it doesn’t make a huge difference in sound IMO. If you don’t like the sound signature with the stock cable, a pure silver cable won’t completely change the sound. I have not tried the Totem.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #77 of 194
...If you don’t like the sound signature with the stock cable, a pure silver cable won’t completely change the sound ...
Yep, this!
...The Volt still intrigue me, but also not certain sound-wise it's for me given the anecdotes of it being mid-focused (I tend to prefer slight-V shape) and "smooth" (I listen to stuff that needs "bite" to sound reproduction, without being harsh. yeah I know....I ask for quite a lot.
Just got my Volts. Comparing vs IBasso IT-07, I would say the IT-07 will be closer to your preferences — mids are a little recessed vs Volt. In fact, I would describe IT-07 as slightly V-shaped vs Volt.

Relatively close, but a noticeable difference.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #78 of 194
I would describe IT-07 as slightly V-shaped vs Volt.
I‘m actually surprised how V-shaped the IT07 is per Crin‘s graph, though I’m sure it doesn’t sound too V-shaped.

25C3DAA1-04DB-4C02-99BB-4328A394BD67.jpeg

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #79 of 194
Just got a slightly used pair of Volts -- listening from my R6 Pro while trying to work :)

Initial impression is that the 'new toy' effect is in full force, but pairing w/ Hiby seems like a winner. Looking forward to comparing w/ iBasso IT-07s from Hugo2go tonight -- best for comparisons since it has dual out -- both can be plugged in at the same time.
Impressions vs IT-07, both driven by Hugo2go:

- Tonality is pretty close. As mentioned above, Volt fills the mids a bit more, makes ‘07 seem a bit thinner. Especially notable on male vocals
- ‘07 seems somewhat V-shaped, with (comparatively) recessed mids and more prominent lows & highs
- Probably as a consequence of the tonality diff, ‘07 stage seems a bit more open/airy, and also slightly more detailed
- Similarly, ‘07 sub-bass seems a bit lifted vs Volt bass which feels a bit more even from sub- all the way to lower-mids.
- Vocals are a bit more prominent and forward on Volt

To be clear, on some tracks, the differences are pretty minimal. But there are tracks where the diffs stand out a bit more. For example, on ‘Barangril’ from Joni Mitchell’s For the Roses there’s a bowed cello which notably fuller from Volt. In addition, her voice has a bit more contralto warmth from Volt — while not ‘shrill’ from ‘07, her voice is thinner. Meanwhile, the precision of ‘Aja’ comes through more from ‘07. Another track which highlights differences is ‘Marrakech Night Market’ -- stage is way more open/airy from '07. Also, there's a lot of high frequency information which comes through more prominently from '07.

Overall, I hear ‘07 as slightly more technical than Volt while Volt is slightly smoother and (dare I say it) more musical. I can see where folks call Volt ‘smooth’.

But again, the differences are small — on a few tracks I literally had to look to see which ones I had in my ears.

Note that both have 16 Ohm impedance, but Volt is more sensitive — 115 dB/mW vs 108, although I question whether that difference is accurate -- seems like less diff to me.

tl;dr: very close, more fullness & warmth in mids from Volt, more stage ‘air’ from ‘07 are the biggest differentiators. Honestly I could be happy with either one.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #81 of 194
Does anyone have the Dunu Zen vs Volt, I would like to know their preferences between both in sound quality
I have both. I have posted some comparisons on the Dunu 17th Anniv. thread but overall I would consder the Zen to be the winner comparing build quality and comfort. (Metal vs Resin).
The Zen has a bold, assertive SQ that does well with rap, rock and similar venures. The Zen bass is the star of the show.
Instrumental timbre to me seems more lifelike and musical on the Volt. As I listen to mostly acoustic and classical genres, the Volt is my choice due to the timbral accuracy and tonal balance.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #82 of 194
Just curious if any Volt owner has tried the DUNU Blanche cable? I am mulling over going that combo (big fan of DUNU in general, and even though the consensus opinion of the Volt typically would make me shy away, I might be willing to take the plunge if a not-crazy-priced silver cable like the Blanche might make it more my flavor).
Yep I have tried it, it's not my favorite pairing as the Blanche is not your typical silver cable, it's as smooth as it gets and Volt is already smooth to begin with... I prefer Penon OSG pairing, note than the recent ISN Solar is superb as well with Volt. But the best pairing is much pricier, Penon Totem brings Volt to such heights...

Does anyone have the Dunu Zen vs Volt, I would like to know their preferences between both in sound quality
Yes I own both :)

Volt is no slouch at all but Zen is weightier down low, with more bass impact... upper mids are livelier with more energy, Volt is smoother there. Lower treble again more energetic on Zen, Volt is smoother but more extended in the upper treble region with more air and also more resolution it's simply more refined.

I love both, Volt is more relaxed and more refined while Zen is more "fun" with more energy with very strong fundamentals.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #83 of 194
20210418_023448.png

20210418_023724.png

Works wonders ^^

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #84 of 194
Totem interconnect and them pigtail adapters. Brilliant little things. I have been telling folks ever since they made them. They are way better than overpriced solutions on the net. In fact I prefer the Totem interconnect to use with my portable amps way more than pure silver and a dozen or so interconnects I own. I can clearly tell they add more space and dynamics to the amplifier stage. Which is what the Totem material does on the cable end.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #85 of 194
I'd love a Totem cable for my A8000. But any price tag above 350$ is off limits, even factoring in the price / performance ratio compared to sky high EA or PW prices.

Another qualm is the 2.5 termination / intermediary. I'd probably be more interested in a straight 4.4 without pigtails, given my needs, at a lower price.

Hence the Tianwaitian for now. I'm also giving CEMA Pipa a shot, should reach me in the next days.

Maybe I'll end up selling most of my cables to fund the One.:smile:

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #86 of 194
Let folks know how that worked out for you on the cable threads. I will be getting ISNs Solar cable soon for review will report how that is once I get it on the midfi cable thread.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #87 of 194
Roger that.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #88 of 194
Let folks know how that worked out for you on the cable threads. I will be getting ISNs Solar cable soon for review will report how that is once I get it on the midfi cable thread.

ISN Solar is a fantastic cable, been enjoying it for over a month, didn't get a chance to write up the review but it's superb value for money for sure!

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #89 of 194
Pairing the Solar with which of your IEMs, mostly?

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #90 of 194
Pairing the Solar with which of your IEMs, mostly?

Most of the time it sits on the Elysium it's a great combo!

But it works pretty well with many IEMs it basically beefs up the lower end, adds some warmth and expands the stage as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back