Introducing Penon new flagship - Penon Volt IEM & Penon Totem IEM Cable
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #61 of 194
And here is a sign, I can't put down the Volt even after the review it's really a superb IEM and insane value for money!

In fact now that I can just enjoy them without having to work on them, it's a sweeeeet time!
I think the Volt is currently at the top of my list of what I’m most interested in getting. I think of all the high-end IEMs that have caught my attention, this probably sounds the most different and unique compared to my current IEMs, so it would be the best addition to my collection.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #62 of 194
I think the Volt is currently at the top of my list of what I’m most interested in getting. I think of all the high-end IEMs that have caught my attention, this probably sounds the most different and unique compared to my current IEMs, so it would be the best addition to my collection.
Right there with ya! I am getting a set, the second I have the funds. :ksc75smile:

Dec 27, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #63 of 194
Feels like

However, I'm

Will try after a couple months...

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #64 of 194
So... I have received @iFi audio Zen Can amp today along with the iPower (clean power supply) and let me tell you out of R8 balanced to balanced out of Zen Can the Volt scale insanely well with more headroom and power (Zen CAN shares its OPAMP with the revered Pro iCAN btw). Background is as black as they come, making for yet more resolution and separation and a more vivid presentation.

IMG_2330.JPG

I'll write up a new section in my review as Volt really scales up further yet in terms of bass, highs, headroom and soundstage.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #65 of 194
So again new source, trying with Volt and Totem and let me tell you Shanling M8 brings fantastic energy to the table... Volt literally comes alive with what I consider to be the illegitimate child of DX220 Max and WM1Z in the M8.

Same powerful and fun bass as both, M8 has great authority and as I have noticed with the Zen Can, Volt loves it. The dual AK4499 bring insane detail retrieval taking stage and imaging yet further as I think M8 is on par with DX220 Max there in terms of stage, dynamic range, black background and resolution while it does share the power, physicality and density the WM1Z is known for. Volt is built to scale and combined well with the smooth and laid back R8 as well as the dynamic and energetic M8. Surprisingly when you look at specs vs R8, the sheer tuning of the M8 allows to use Volt with low gain, mainly thanks to the power of its bass and energy up top. There is more upper mids bite and lower treble energy and Volt with Totem out of M8 is plenty exciting but never harsh. Something to behold and I'll sure be interested to compare it to no less than the custom Elysium I am getting next week. It's impressively resolving.

I'll be updating my Volt review with the M8 pairing soon...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #66 of 194
So here is my Totem review : https://iem.reviews/2021/01/10/penon-totem/

In ear monitor reviews by davidmolliere 2021-01-10 16-18-49.png

I took a bit of time as switching between cable and all the IEM pairings is quite time consuming, in fact more than IEM reviews!
But it's worth it, Totem is one of a kind :)

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #67 of 194
So here is my Totem review : https://iem.reviews/2021/01/10/penon-totem/

In ear monitor reviews by davidmolliere 2021-01-10 16-18-49.png

I took a bit of time as switching between cable and all the IEM pairings is quite time consuming, in fact more than IEM reviews!
But it's worth it, Totem is one of a kind :)
Another excellent review David. I agree 100%. This cable really is THAT good and I hope more people get switched on to it so more can experience what an enormous upgrade this is to many IEMs.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #71 of 194
My mom is ordering the Volt right now and is deciding between the Totem orca mix of 5 other Penon cables since between us we have 7 quality iems. Would you get the totem or would you do this Screenshot_20210124-232428_Chrome.jpg
Since we each only have 1 pair of ears, I usually recommend buying one TOTL over a bunch of lesser items. In this case, I personally would go for the Totem.

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #73 of 194
Hmmm so I got myself the R6 2020 this week and naturally thought I would try my Volt and Totem combo on it and... I'll write up my detailed impressions but let me say it's one of my favorite pairing, maybe even over DX300 and M8... R6 2020 has superb synergy with Volt extracting yet a bit more perceived resolution... mids are more open and linear and highs are even more impressive. At the same time the snappy attack and quick decay makes the bass a lot of fun and less prominent than the more fun M8.

Fun times :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #74 of 194
Hmmm so I got myself the R6 2020 this week and naturally thought I would try my Volt and Totem combo on it and... I'll write up my detailed impressions but let me say it's one of my favorite pairing, maybe even over DX300 and M8... R6 2020 has superb synergy with Volt extracting yet a bit more perceived resolution... mids are more open and linear and highs are even more impressive. At the same time the snappy attack and quick decay makes the bass a lot of fun and less prominent than the more fun M8.

Fun times :)
Just got a slightly used pair of Volts -- listening from my R6 Pro while trying to work :)

Initial impression is that the 'new toy' effect is in full force, but pairing w/ Hiby seems like a winner. Looking forward to comparing w/ iBasso IT-07s from Hugo2go tonight -- best for comparisons since it has dual out -- both can be plugged in at the same time.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #75 of 194
Just curious if any Volt owner has tried the DUNU Blanche cable? I am mulling over going that combo (big fan of DUNU in general, and even though the consensus opinion of the Volt typically would make me shy away, I might be willing to take the plunge if a not-crazy-priced silver cable like the Blanche might make it more my flavor).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back