Introducing LUNA by DUNU, the world's first pure beryllium rolled foil diaphragm flagship dynamic in-ear! (Page 18: Loan Tour Announcement)
Nov 17, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #31 of 422
The fact it uses the same driver manufacturing tech Stellia and Utopia uses is very very encouraging :)

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 422
It's expensive... But you'd be looking at a nearfield setup of $7,000 plus some sound treatment to approach flagship IEM performance.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #33 of 422
Well so much information about the process and materials but not a single word about the sound character beside reference. I have the Vega, Atlas, Lab2, JVC 10K all single DD iems, I also have the Utopia which may have a similar process. I will be interested to hear what the sound is like. Please talk about sound because it is what drive the price point not the process. I don’t Think $1650.00 is too high if there is a totl sound that goes with it.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #34 of 422
Would have liked a fun bass sound rather than reference.

But let see how things go.

Yeah, I wish more companies used the four pin connectors JH Audio uses... Tunable bass is nice. Technically they could also do three way tuning or have an active crossover and DSP correct for each circuit/set of frequencies if everyone started using that.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #35 of 422
No worries for Dunu ... It'll sell. That's just reality nowadays in headfi and has always been in HiFi. If you want the best you have to pay. And I mean PAY, because nothing gets overlooked more by we audiophiles than the law of diminishing returns.

This piece of gear is not about price performance ratio. The value in this case is in knowing you have the best, the first, or the newest.

Consumer vs hobbyist psychology.
Of course, it will sell. Simply due to the fact that most people can't get over GAS(gear acquisition syndrome). I'm one of them though, haha.
If you want the best you need to do a lot of researching, spend an enormous amount of time listening to different gear again and again. That's only the tip of an iceberg I assure you. What you pay and what you get OFTEN doesn't relevant at all.

Back to the topic, I'm looking forward to trying Luna and see for myself of what it's capable of.

Nov 17, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 422
The fact it uses the same driver manufacturing tech Stellia and Utopia uses is very very encouraging :)
The fact it's from DUNU is already pretty exciting TBH hehe. :wink:

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #38 of 422
Nov 17, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 422
How can you live in NYC and only make $200/w, homeless people make more than that

My Dad is paying for the rent. I'm also a college student.

Nov 17, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #43 of 422
Should have went in another direction than the comparison to NASA and the Apollo Program. Really, a whole page of smack comparing Dunu to the Apollo Program? It only took tens of thousands of people and some of the greatest minds of the time to get man to the moon and this IEM is compared to that?

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #44 of 422
While I love my dk-4001 I would certainly be interested in a trade up program.

If we had an offering that was analogous to LUNA, we certainly would've considered doing such a thing. However, our DK hybrid series stands apart from our dynamic driver only models.

Well so much information about the process and materials but not a single word about the sound character beside reference. I have the Vega, Atlas, Lab2, JVC 10K all single DD iems, I also have the Utopia which may have a similar process. I will be interested to hear what the sound is like. Please talk about sound because it is what drive the price point not the process. I don’t Think $1650.00 is too high if there is a totl sound that goes with it.

The reason why we shied away from describing LUNA's sound is that we want people to form their own opinions. It wouldn't be fair for us to prescribe to people what we think its sound signature is like. As most people who went to CanJam Shanghai can attest, LUNA was popular to the point of problematic, and with only one unit available for audition, we had a long line of people waiting to listen to it. Currently, there are plenty of sound impressions written in Chinese on social media platforms like Weibo; we also held a small listening event this weekend with FUJIYA-AVIC, and many Japanese audio lovers post their impressions on Twitter. These impressions are all not in English, of course.

The only person prominently active on Head-Fi with ear time with LUNA is @jude, and even he only got a few moments with it. We'd love for him to chime in on its sound, but of course he might be too busy to come 'round these parts. He, of course, has an entire website and community to manage. That is why our goal is to secure a Head-Fi dedicated listening unit as soon as possible.

Of course, when our lead engineer Andy Zhao tuned the LUNA, it was targeted toward our own 'reference' signature. The following is, in Andy's own words, his goals for tuning LUNA:
在宽松,流畅,自然的前提下提供极好的解析力和声音密度,中频丰满有感情,低频下潜到位量感精准,声场开阔声音通透。

Roughly, it means that he wished to draw out maximum detail and fullness of sound while maintaining the widest possible bandwidth in its extension, without compromising on a relaxed and mellifluous overall sound. The pure beryllium foil driver, especially when constructed in the way we fashioned it, naturally exhibits these attributes. We additionally looked to provide a sense of evocative warmth in vocals, but still maintain a very neutral tone. Our key goal, however, was to deliver the most natural timbre around, and we wanted to reduce ringing as much as possible, unless particular components of ringing proved to be especially euphonic. We believe LUNA meets these tuning goals.

In terms of measurements, our in-house results are quite favorable. We performed preliminary testing on standalone IEC 60318-4 ear simulators, and validated these results with our B&K 4128C HATS. The most significant results go beyond frequency response or distortion figures, however. That's why we elected to show the results of our high-speed vibrometry testing. It's proof positive that the driver exhibits near-perfect pistonic motion. While at our booth in Shanghai, Jude mentioned off hand that he'd like to conduct a full suite of measurements for LUNA, and we'd be happy to have him do them once we have finalized everything by next month.

True, but I make $200 per week and I have bills to pay for. I'll wait until the price drops.

That won't happen anytime soon, or perhaps ever. There's a reason why LUNA is nearly double the price of our previous offerings --- the pricing is dictated by immense cost of the raw materials and the subsequent advanced processing, from the beryllium sheets, to cutting them out, forming them, gluing them to their suspension, and securing them within their support structure. To protect the driver, the custom titanium alloy is quite costly as well.

But that's why we still offer products with PVD beryllium. Soundwise, they give us a number of characteristics in common with our pure beryllium foil driver, but are more cost effective.

Should have went in another direction than the comparison to NASA and the Apollo Program. Really, a whole page of smack comparing Dunu to the Apollo Program? It only took tens of thousands of people and some of the greatest minds of the time to get man to the moon and this IEM is compared to that?

Having spent a significant amount of time working in a lab at JPL and wandering its halls, marveling at our accomplishments over this past century, I personally can appreciate and attest to the extraordinary amount of work that goes into each and every space mission. I understand your concern; LUNA is never going to be anything that expands mankind's awareness of our place in the universe. It won't anchor fundamental understandings of mathematics and physics. It will never serve as the catalyst for an entire aerospace industry. No one lost their lives the same way the astronauts of Apollo 1 did. Our lives were never in jeopardy the same way the X-15 test pilots, or all 32 of the Apollo program's astronauts were.

Our goal with LUNA's marketing campaign was merely to pay homage to the Apollo program on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and it was certainly not our intent to diminish its immense accomplishment. We are not conflating DUNU with NASA. We have the utmost respect for all of the men and women who worked on the Apollo program, or any program whose goal is to push the frontiers of mankind. It is a bold undertaking, and we salute this spirit.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 422
If we had an offering that was analogous to LUNA, we certainly would've considered doing such a thing. However, our DK hybrid series stands apart from our dynamic driver only models.

Having spent a significant amount of time working in a lab at JPL and wandering its halls, marveling at our accomplishments over this past century, I personally can appreciate and attest to the extraordinary amount of work that goes into each and every space mission. I understand your concern; LUNA is never going to be anything that expands mankind's awareness of our place in the universe. It won't anchor fundamental understandings of mathematics and physics. It will never serve as the catalyst for an entire aerospace industry. No one lost their lives the same way the astronauts of Apollo 1 did. Our lives were never in jeopardy the same way the X-15 test pilots, or all 32 of the Apollo program's astronauts were.

Our goal with LUNA's marketing campaign was merely to pay homage to the Apollo program on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and it was certainly not our intent to diminish its immense accomplishment. We are not conflating DUNU with NASA. We have the utmost respect for all of the men and women who worked on the Apollo program, or any program whose goal is to push the frontiers of mankind. It is a bold undertaking, and we salute this spirit.

Nice save. No doubt you know your stuff. Could be just me but all that space program stuff started to sound like a infomercial after a few sentences. I prefer direct tech and spec talk about a product and not a long winded story to hype the product like a infomercial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back