Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,206 of 3,158
Well, I think there is a certain percentage of the population that just hears things differently. Some one I know tells me they hear earphones differently than me; like the Xelentos, which I love the high end, he says the treble sounds screechy; and I love the Legend X and he just hears it differently; in fact he loves the CL2, and doesn't like BA at all!

I'd say it's probably close to 100% hear things differently with earphones and all audio gear otherwise we would all own the same set of earphones, no head-fi required lol

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,207 of 3,158
Ok on the subject of copper cables

I’ve looked at the ALO Litz cable for around $100 or £150 here in the UK (we always get ripped off!!), now is this approx the same quality as the PWaudio Copper 28 v2? And how much of a step up is the Anniversary No 5 cable?

It’s a bit of a minefield to be honest.
The ALO litz is 4 core 28 gauge.
I would go at least 26 gauge minimum, thicker would be better.
The #5 is 26 gauge if I am not mistaken.

The one that I got is 24 gauge, 4 core, Hybrid, same materials as the EROS ii.
I paid 200 dollars for that after I kept bugging the seller for a discount (so got 40 dollars off) I'll let everyone know how that pairs.
I'll try to link some other cables here when I get a chance, the ones that I was considering, and don't break the bank.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,208 of 3,158
Well, I think there is a certain percentage of the population that just hears things differently. Some one I know tells me they hear earphones differently than me; like the Xelentos, which I love the high end, he says the treble sounds screechy; and I love the Legend X and he just hears it differently; in fact he loves the CL2, and doesn't like BA at all!
You know the funny thing is, we would be in agreement about how Full size speakers sound 99.99% of the time, but something about when you stick an iem into a closed ear canal, everything goes topsy turvy.

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,209 of 3,158
I suppose that ultimately it's down to personal preference, at the moment I am loving both the CL2 and the 846. There's earphones I've sold in the past as I didn't rate them despite others telling me that they were the best thing since sliced bread.
It's also cost; I listened to Legend X, and they sound great! But I'm not dropping $2,500 on them... The biggest surprise for me at canjam was the cables of Effect Audio; profound improvement on the sound of my Xelentos and AndroSS, the Xelentos in particular had a HUGE improvement; and the AndroSS? The mids just burst alive! It was amazing!

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,210 of 3,158
The ALO litz is 4 core 28 gauge.
I would go at least 26 gauge minimum, thicker would be better.
The #5 is 26 gauge if I am not mistaken.

The one that I got is 24 gauge, 4 core, Hybrid, same materials as the EROS ii.
I paid 200 dollars for that after I kept bugging the seller for a discount (so got 40 dollars off) I'll let everyone know how that pairs.
I'll try to link some other cables here when I get a chance, the ones that I was considering, and don't break the bank.
Look at Effect Audio, their Eros II+ cable blew me away!

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #2,211 of 3,158
Look at Effect Audio, their Eros II+ cable blew me away!
The one that I am supposed to get in the mail is the Dunu version of the EROS ii+,
Only difference is the EROS ii is 22 gauge, and Dunu is 24 gauge.
I am hoping it does for the CL2, what the EROS did for your iems.
Cables make a pretty big difference when you have higher quality transparent iems.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,212 of 3,158
Think I'm sticking with my EA Lionheart cable for the CL2s. It has the best balance for me; picked it up used for a decent price.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #2,213 of 3,158
Think I'm sticking with my EA Lionheart cable for the CL2s. It has the best balance for me; picked it up used for a decent price.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:
You have to try out my new cable when I get it, could definitely use another ear on it.

Also What I found the best way to burn in the CL2, as I had to do it twice, is high volume EDM.
Fastest most effective way in my opinion, if anyone has a new pair.
Tip rolling is a must, with the right tips, bass hits hard on the tracks that call for it. My personal favs are deep insertion spiral dots.
Also the SPC Cables have a severe timbre issue, copper fixes it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #2,214 of 3,158
Don't forget to say IMO, it isn't an absolute that CU is better than SPC

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #2,215 of 3,158
Don't forget to say IMO, it isn't an absolute that CU is better than SPC
Fair enough. :)
If anyone thinks the CL2 has timbre issues, they should try a pure copper cable.
In my opinion this iem is very transparent, and is extremely sensitive to source and cables.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #2,216 of 3,158
Also What I found the best way to burn in the CL2, as I had to do it twice, is high volume EDM.
Fastest most effective way in my opinion, if anyone has a new pair...
That advice comes with a warning, watch high volume. You can damage any earphones with constant high volume. If you can listen to it comfortably you are probably fine.
I do disagree with my friend Kitechaser on this one, I think one can burn in earphones with low volume just as well as higher volume. Low volume is safer.
Still, I'm sure we both agree that burning in earphones is a must, especially with your better pairs.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #2,217 of 3,158
That advice comes with a warning, watch high volume. You can damage any earphones with constant high volume. If you can listen to it comfortably you are probably fine.
I do disagree with my friend Kitechaser on this one, I think one can burn in earphones with low volume just as well as higher volume. Low volume is safer.
Still, I'm sure we both agree that burning in earphones is a must, especially with your better pairs.
Yeah agreed. Anything that flexes the driver will work I think. Maybe 15% above normal listening volume, should be safe at that point.

Also, how did your cable pair with the CL2?
THE Neotech one from Ali.

Add: I did high volume because I didn't want to sit through another 300 hours of burn in.
Got frustrated into doing it.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,218 of 3,158

People vary a lot in musical taste, and it's even more true when it comes to singing. Somehow this is right up my alley. For me it's a great cover of a pretty timeless song, paired with a very clear and direct studio sound without too many effects on top.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #2,219 of 3,158
@Kitechaser, might want to also: (why I don’t bother anymore, this can be maddening/never-ending-search for audio bliss that is more trouble for me than I can take at this point in my very stressful life) try this hulking old HP amp, that is also somewhat spendy---find it used <$1k, like one that came up last year for sale here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/price-drop-bakoon-hpa-01m-satri-current-amplifier.892263/

Supposed to have great synergy with planar:

https://www.headfonia.com/bakoon-international-products-hpa-01m-for-ears-and-years/2/

Something I would play with, instead of neckband BT which I don't like much, if I had spent $$$ on CL2 (waiting for full TWE CL3 <$300, stubborn Scottish boneheaded, illogical< from my father’s side of the family) is the clunky adapter being used with Unique Melody ME1 CIEM, which I would never purchase as I’d soon enough manage to lose/break these $1+k wonders.

https://forum.headphone.com/t/wireless-headphones-yay-or-nay/664/110

Bad enough they don’t put high enough capacity Li-ion button cell/lipoly cells in TWE, but then they don’t even try on the larger/bulky adapters, TRN TN20’s only have 70mah per side, can’t possibly have enough ‘juice’ to drive any earphones, let alone more demanding. Those TRN adapter could easily have 120mah/per side with Varta 1654 cells. And I would image with kitechaser’s very sensitive golden ears, the hiss using the BT20 at lower volumes would be unbearable.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,220 of 3,158
Maybe stating the obvious, however to put it out there, the CL2 definitely sound better when they are in a warmer environment. This is the warmest day in the UK for a while, and they're reminding me of that with their sweet sweet sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back