Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Feb 12, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,191 of 3,158
Yea I did post my CL2 review recently. I wasn't a fan of the lower treble peak, but EQ does help clean it up and it better with a drop in the 3-5KHz range.

Which electrostats did you try? My review actually compares the speed and transparency of the treble of the CL2 to my previous experiences listening to Stax. heh. My parents bought a set of MartinLogan towers and a Parasound poweramp for them when I was in my teenage years. They're awesome. He gave me some Pioneer and Speakerlab speakers when I bought my house, but he wouldnt part with the MartinLogans. :)
Quad ESL-2905
That speaker gave me goosebumps, hair on the back of my neck just stood up . I have never heard anything that even approximates the sound coming out of this setup. The imaging is so real, and tonality of instruments is dead on accurate. Ruined dynamic speakers for me on the spot.
Now the CL2 obviously cannot match the quads (iem vs full size speaker), and anyone that tells you that is out to lunch, but the sound signature is the same.
The thing I love about the CL2 (amongst many other things) is that every instrument sounds different, and sounds like it does when I hear them live.
Only the quads and this little iem, have managed to do that for me so far. (4k bump included)
I am going to check out the magnepans and soundlabs next, let's see if they can hang with the 2905s.
The Martin Logans are a no go for me because of the dynamic bass :frowning2:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,192 of 3,158
Isolation is better than stock. If you get them you will see why.
It's the design..
Where do you order the spiral tips from, and how do I choose size, etc. for my earphones?

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,193 of 3,158
Where do you order the spiral tips from, and how do I choose size, etc. for my earphones?
Amazon has them.
You may want to try a regular size you usually wear, and maybe a size smaller for the CL2.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #2,195 of 3,158
I've spent the last few days being unfaithful to my CL2 with a sordid affair with the Shure 846.

I have been wanting to try the 846 for a long time, the Shure E2c (along with the Etymotic Er6i) were my first foray into 'proper' earphones around 17 years ago. Since then I've had the 535 a few years ago and always been curious about the 846. The mids on the 535 I used to love but had read mixed reviews on the 846. Skip to last week and got a mint condition used pair for a good price so gave them a punt.

I've been using them for a few days and decided to compare them a little with the CL2. I used a mixture of FLAC and 24bit FLAC files from my Sony WM1a to compare.

Got to be honest and say that to my ears that in some respects they are quite similar, both have excellent fit and sit in the ear very comfortably.
Now soundwise they are similar but with a couple of small difference's. The 846 have more sub-bass presence, more of a rumble when it is required in certain tracks. This gives them a slightly greater sense of depth, the bass is also just as textured as the CL2, no real difference on that front.
The mids and vocals are also very similar, maybe the Shure's are slightly more forward with a tad more smoothness. However the CL2 have a little more detail in the high end of the range. Detail in the mids is very similar.

Overall layering and depth is very close but I would give a slight nod to the Shure on this score, instrument separation s very similar on both and would struggle to choose one over the other.

In conclusion I'll be keeping both of these earphones, there's just enough difference between them to warrant keeping both.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #2,196 of 3,158
@McCol Nice insights! The main comparisons I'll be making in my review of the CL2 tour unit will be against my 846, too. One thing I will say now is that I find the CL2 a more energetic and exciting listen, especially upon initial listening impressions in direct comparison, where the 846 is more linear. I also enjoy the added tactility of bass that the planar driver produces over the BA drivers. Not going to get into much more detail than that now, that'll come in my final write-up, but I wouldn't swap my Shure's for the RHA; there's a couple of niggles that would make me hesitant to have the CL2 as my only TOTL iem, but there's no denying the astounding technical capability of those little planar drivers.

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,197 of 3,158
I've spent the last few days being unfaithful to my CL2 with a sordid affair with the Shure 846.

I have been wanting to try the 846 for a long time, the Shure E2c (along with the Etymotic Er6i) were my first foray into 'proper' earphones around 17 years ago. Since then I've had the 535 a few years ago and always been curious about the 846. The mids on the 535 I used to love but had read mixed reviews on the 846. Skip to last week and got a mint condition used pair for a good price so gave them a punt.

I've been using them for a few days and decided to compare them a little with the CL2. I used a mixture of FLAC and 24bit FLAC files from my Sony WM1a to compare.

Got to be honest and say that to my ears that in some respects they are quite similar, both have excellent fit and sit in the ear very comfortably.
Now soundwise they are similar but with a couple of small difference's. The 846 have more sub-bass presence, more of a rumble when it is required in certain tracks. This gives them a slightly greater sense of depth, the bass is also just as textured as the CL2, no real difference on that front.
The mids and vocals are also very similar, maybe the Shure's are slightly more forward with a tad more smoothness. However the CL2 have a little more detail in the high end of the range. Detail in the mids is very similar.

Overall layering and depth is very close but I would give a slight nod to the Shure on this score, instrument separation s very similar on both and would struggle to choose one over the other.

In conclusion I'll be keeping both of these earphones, there's just enough difference between them to warrant keeping both.
Did you ever end up getting a balanced copper cable?
My Dunnu OCC Copper and OCC Silver hybrid cable finally got shipped, can't wait to try it out.
Should have it this week.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #2,198 of 3,158
Did you ever end up getting a balanced copper cable?
My Dunnu OCC Copper and OCC Silver hybrid cable finally got shipped, can't wait to try it out.
Should have it this week.

No not got round to trying one yet, happy with current cable but not ruled out trying one. Just looking to do it on the cheap!!

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,199 of 3,158
No not got round to trying one yet, happy with current cable but not ruled out trying one. Just looking to do it on the cheap!!
Get those cheap Chinese OCC copper cables on aliexpress.
Once you get to try it out, you won't want to go back. Copper cables make a really big difference here.
The cable I got from China is fairly expensive, but I am not looking for another iem, just wanna max this one out.
Screenshot_20190217-104425_AliExpress.jpg

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #2,200 of 3,158
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/us-...-2-pin-and-mmcx-starting-october-2018.889794/

get into this tour and try PW Audio line which goes from not very expensive >https://www.pwaudio.com.hk/entry-series

(only those higher line are carried in this tour by Music Sanctuary, but there are others in PW stable...such as those listed on HK authorized dealer @MTMTaudio), to quite expensive, flagship model can be had ~630usd balanced/single from jp, much less than the sponsor of that thread.

'hype' on the flagship model:

"By using 26AWG wires and FEP jacket for the positive signal and 24AWG wires and PVC jacket for negative signal, the 1960s offers a large soundstage, better sense of airiness, bass that is textured and well extended and an incredibly resolving sound matched by no other cable.

The 1960s flagship IEM cable consists of wires made in the USA, and is hand braided and built by Peter Wong himself."

Ya, kitechaser style contentions 'matched by no other cable', lol

Hope nobody accuses me of being a Cantonese shill for HK based peter woo audio vs Mandarin shill, just bc I have some Cantonese bloodline on my mom's side...not really Cantonese- just from that region, Hakka outcast ethnicity is nomadic 'tribe' not unlike the wandering Jews, for similar & differing reasons.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,201 of 3,158
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/us-...-2-pin-and-mmcx-starting-october-2018.889794/

get into this tour and try PW Audio line which goes from not very expensive >https://www.pwaudio.com.hk/entry-series

(only those higher line are carried in this tour by Music Sanctuary, but there are others in PW stable...such as those listed on HK authorized dealer @MTMTaudio), to quite expensive, flagship model can be had ~630usd balanced/single from jp, much less than the sponsor of that thread.

'hype' on the flagship model:

"By using 26AWG wires and FEP jacket for the positive signal and 24AWG wires and PVC jacket for negative signal, the 1960s offers a large soundstage, better sense of airiness, bass that is textured and well extended and an incredibly resolving sound matched by no other cable.

The 1960s flagship IEM cable consists of wires made in the USA, and is hand braided and built by Peter Wong himself."

Ya, kitechaser style contentions 'matched by no other cable', lol

Hope nobody accuses me of being a Cantonese shill for HK based peter woo audio vs Mandarin shill, just bc I have some Cantonese bloodline on my mom's side...not really Cantonese- just from that region, Hakka outcast ethnicity is nomadic 'tribe' not unlike the wandering Jews, for similar & differing reasons.
Mulberry Madness is not just a handle now is it?
Your posts crack me up :)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,202 of 3,158
Ok on the subject of copper cables

I’ve looked at the ALO Litz cable for around $100 or £150 here in the UK (we always get ripped off!!), now is this approx the same quality as the PWaudio Copper 28 v2? And how much of a step up is the Anniversary No 5 cable?

It’s a bit of a minefield to be honest.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #2,203 of 3,158

I traded my 846's for a pair of Xelentos and never looked back. I think the Shure's are Passe'. Maybe with the right cable the high end can be opened up, tho.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #2,204 of 3,158
I traded my 846's for a pair of Xelentos and never looked back. I think the Shure's are Passe'. Maybe with the right cable the high end can be opened up, tho.

I suppose that ultimately it's down to personal preference, at the moment I am loving both the CL2 and the 846. There's earphones I've sold in the past as I didn't rate them despite others telling me that they were the best thing since sliced bread.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #2,205 of 3,158
I suppose that ultimately it's down to personal preference, at the moment I am loving both the CL2 and the 846. There's earphones I've sold in the past as I didn't rate them despite others telling me that they were the best thing since sliced bread.
Well, I think there is a certain percentage of the population that just hears things differently. Some one I know tells me they hear earphones differently than me; like the Xelentos, which I love the high end, he says the treble sounds screechy; and I love the Legend X and he just hears it differently; in fact he loves the CL2, and doesn't like BA at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back