Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #2,176 of 3,158
Not spending money on cups of coffee everyday, and don't eat out.
Cook my own food. All the savings add up to..........^^^^^^^^^
And I don't have kids, just 2 cats. Haha
So that money goes here, and this is not exactly a repeat purchase :wink:
Smart man...kids are expensive...

Back on track, the BT cable is actually convenient when working out; not critical to get the best sound. Everyone seems to be wearing those white apple airpods which sound...well like cr%$. My son has them and I tried it out for like 5 seconds...

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #2,177 of 3,158
Is there anyone who has the cl2 and can compare it to the ier-m9 or has demoed the ier z1r and can compare it with the cl2.
Is it sound quality wise a fair comparison ,cl2 vs these Sony's?
From what I hear the IER M9 is the complete opposite of this iem, it is dark and not musical at all.
If you are considering both, you really need to audition them and see what is up your alley. Be careful when you try the CL2 to not push the volume too high (it is very easy to do so) as it has almost no distortion, and high volume to get to the bass slam of other iems also makes the upper mids and treble shrill.
Take whatever player you have, and add 5-10% volume over your usual iem volume levels max. And then let your ears adjust.
SQ wise, this iem can hold it's own against anything and everything else out there no problem.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #2,178 of 3,158
I think they retail for 14k.
It's one of those purchases you just can't think about very much. It's a quality of life issue, and life is short.
Outside of the WM1A, I will be good with spending money on audio equipment for a long long long time, up until the CL3 comes out.
Gonna go with a solid state amp, for about 1500. Gonna be too broke to go full tube amp.
Damn straight on the quality of life issue.

I bought a less expensive car to afford spending money on my headphone set up. I realized one day how much happiness good headphones bring me.

And yes, kids are expensive. But you can't take your money with you when you die.

Someone had a wm1a in the classifieds for $730 I think. For that price I'm even thinking about it even though I have 2 brand new DAPs.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #2,179 of 3,158
@Kitechaser
I already pre-ordered the ier z1r and was wondering if it is maybe already outdated before it is even released.
Because of planar vs 2DD+ba.

Is the sound signaturen of the cl2 comparable with the shure se425. Shure se425 is also a bit midforward and i likr the se425 too.

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #2,180 of 3,158
So 2905 is the newer one, and you said to run them with tube amplifiers correct?
100 watts each?

Yup 2905 is the newer model. 100w of tube goodness will bring them alive. They aren’t too shabby with solid state either so if you can’t source good tube power then good SS is also okay. And the 100w provides plenty of headroom. If you’re stuck with lower powered amplification then 50w will do - but no less than that.

Tubes =! tubes. ANOpax has EAR monos if I'm not mistaken. I am very, very serious about tube amplification - I build and modify amps myself and have heard many different amplifiers. There are some I wouldn't use even if someone gave them to me for free, while others I see as works of true artistic genius. EAR by Tim de Paravicini is quite close to aural heaven from my perspective, his amps just do so much right. To put it in other words, choose your amplification wisely and invest some time and energy into your research.

Edit: 509 tubes, be it EL or PL type, are a special kind of beast. Even within the EAR product range, they represent a particular approach to tube amplification. 100w in that form is simply different from 100w in another form, because there is a lot more to tube amps than just their wattage.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,181 of 3,158
Tubes =! tubes. ANOpax has EAR monos if I'm not mistaken. I am very, very serious about tube amplification - I build and modify amps myself and have heard many different amplifiers. There are some I wouldn't use even if someone gave them to me for free, while others I see as works of true artistic genius. EAR by Tim de Paravicini is quite close to aural heaven from my perspective, his amps just do so much right. To put it in other words, choose your amplification wisely and invest some time and energy into your research.

Edit: 509 tubes, be it EL or PL type, are a special kind of beast. Even within the EAR product range, they represent a particular approach to tube amplification. 100w in that form is simply different from 100w in another form, because there is a lot more to tube amps than just their wattage.
@ANOpax suggested this integrated amp
Its 50 watts pc
I'll be using the WM1A as a dac till I can get a proper setup.
He found me a used one at 1/2 msrp.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #2,182 of 3,158
@ANOpax suggested this integrated amp
Its 50 watts pc
I'll be using the WM1A as a dac till I can get a proper setup.
He found me a used one at 1/2 msrp.
That's a good choice. Shoot me a message once you've had time to get familiar with it.

Feb 7, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #2,183 of 3,158
@Kitechaser
I already pre-ordered the ier z1r and was wondering if it is maybe already outdated before it is even released.
Because of planar vs 2DD+ba.

Is the sound signaturen of the cl2 comparable with the shure se425. Shure se425 is also a bit midforward and i likr the se425 too.
I personally haven't heard the Z1R, but will check it out at canjam LA.
From what I am hearing of others impressions, it is having major coherancy issues, plenty of reports of the mids being brittle, that is in comparison to the DD sound that is covering the highs and lows. I don't know how Sony will go about fixing that, or if it can even be fixed. Solaris for me had a bit of that problem too, the bass and lower mids have a weight and tonality that the higher frequencies don't.
It all comes down to tastes and preferences.
Plenty of people on this thread love the Solaris and the CL2, some like one more than the other. If I had to guess the Z1R would be the same story.
I haven't heard the Shure 425, so I'll let someone who has answer that question.
The only thing I'll add is that nothing will replace you getting a pair in your own hands, I think the CL2 is the best headphone I have ever heard, and would pick it over everything else on the market, but the only opinion that counts is yours :)
And yes Planars are the future, no doubt.

Awesome song I found.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #2,184 of 3,158
I'm a sucker for gadgets and I was wondering if any of you had seen this?
https://us.creative.com/sxfi/
There's a thread on Headfi somewhere about itand it looks like it might be fun to try for not a lot of money.
If you order this they're sending a set of supposedly 99$ headphones free.
I'm sure they're craptastic and I'll give them to someone but the little dac/amp intrigues me anyway.
I ordered one anyway and I'll give it a shot with the CL2's(if I can get my Hiby R6 updated to 8,1).

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2,185 of 3,158
Just spent last night listening to my buddy play acoustic guitar, he is a professional musician, then listened to the CL2, and it's the closest rendition of a live performance I have heard so far.
The details on the sliding fingers, the sounds of the picks, are part of the live performance as much as the other sounds.
Come back to Head-fi and some people are calling that detail exaggerated and unnatural, I find that crazy.
I don't think they have ever heard instruments live, that are not being blasted towards them through a dynamic loudspeaker.
The CL2 is how instruments sound when you are a foot away from them. Practically in your face.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #2,187 of 3,158
Just spent last night listening to my buddy play acoustic guitar, he is a professional musician, then listened to the CL2, and it's the closest rendition of a live performance I have heard so far.
The details on the sliding fingers, the sounds of the picks, are part of the live performance as much as the other sounds.
Come back to Head-fi and some people are calling that detail exaggerated and unnatural, I find that crazy.
I don't think they have ever heard instruments live, that are not being blasted towards them through a dynamic loudspeaker.
The CL2 is how instruments sound when you are a foot away from them. Practically in your face.

I dont normally listen to live bands a foot away from their instruments. That seems rather awkward. :)

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #2,188 of 3,158
I dont normally listen to live bands a foot away from their instruments. That seems rather awkward. :)
I do, especially orchestras. Not a foot away, but close enough to hear every detail.
The timbre and presentation is like you are at a private concert in your living room.
Life like as many people have posted here before.
Got a chance to listen to some floor size electrostat speakers this weekend, and @ANOpax is 100% correct, this is what the CL2 sound signature is in the iem form.
A ditto copy in portable form.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #2,189 of 3,158
I do, especially orchestras. Not a foot away, but close enough to hear every detail.
The timbre and presentation is like you are at a private concert in your living room.
Life like as many people have posted here before.
Got a chance to listen to some full size electrostat speakers this weekend, and @ANOpax is 100% correct, this is what the CL2 sound signature is in the iem form.
A ditto copy in portable form.

Yea I did post my CL2 review recently. I wasn't a fan of the lower treble peak, but EQ does help clean it up and it better with a drop in the 3-5KHz range.

Which electrostats did you try? My review actually compares the speed and transparency of the treble of the CL2 to my previous experiences listening to Stax. heh. My parents bought a set of MartinLogan towers and a Parasound poweramp for them when I was in my teenage years. They're awesome. He gave me some Pioneer and Speakerlab speakers when I bought my house, but he wouldnt part with the MartinLogans. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back