Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 23, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #1,831 of 3,158
That sounds like you'll be angling for an exchange, rather than a retune... which means you'll lose the 800+ hours of burn-in on them, and will have to go through that process again. Which sounds... NOT something to look forward to ? I mean, it will take quite a long time before they'll sound the way you're used to, no? :frowning2:
Oh they can retune it????? Awesome
I'll definitely go for that.
Didn't know that was a possibility.
@RHA Team please let me know what I can do.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,832 of 3,158
I think it will depend on the reason why there's an imbalance... if the driver on the left is actually defective (=has some internal physical problem that causes it to play bass at a lower level than it should), I guess there's no possibility of doing anything other than an exchange (at least of the "defective" driver - which might as well mean the whole left piece, in this case, though, probably just simpler).

If the imbalance is due to something else (no idea what, though), I'd think there should be some possibility of solving it without having to exchange. I'm sure RHA will let you know, but yeah, I'd at least ASK if it's possible to just "fix" what you have. Since you essentially LIKE them the way they sound, and you'd really just like the left and right piece to sound the same way :) .

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #1,833 of 3,158
Can I just ask how it is definitely known re this imbalance...

Even with a dummy head etc - we know how finickity the CL2 are for fit, so it could be that using the device one side wasn’t fitted the same?

Placebo could be a dangerous thing here, I would go for a second opinion - someone who hasn’t heard them and hasn’t seen this, to see if they can also hear something wrong.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #1,834 of 3,158
Can I just ask how it is definitely known re this imbalance...

Even with a dummy head etc - we know how finickity the CL2 are for fit, so it could be that using the device one side wasn’t fitted the same?

Placebo could be a dangerous thing here, I would go for a second opinion - someone who hasn’t heard them and hasn’t seen this, to see if they can also hear something wrong.
We tried it with different tips, at least 10 plus times. And it wasn't a dummy head, it was a portable tube measurement device.
And I've really listened in, and yes the bass response in the left ear is lower.
Its obvious when you know to look for it.
But yes, I will get one of my buddies to do a blind test tomorrow.
They sound great regardless, but if RHA can fix that imbalance, I'd be up for it.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,835 of 3,158
We tried it with different tips, at least 10 plus times. And it wasn't a dummy head, it was a portable tube measurement device.
And I've really listened in, and yes the bass response in the left ear is lower.
Its obvious when you know to look for it.
But yes, I will get one of my buddies to do a blind test tomorrow.
They sound great regardless, but if RHA can fix that imbalance, I'd be up for it.
Cool :)

Other than that potentially not so good news, the fact that you concur with my thoughts re the Beyers, the Shures - and, unknowingly, the Focals, means that I need to listen to you re the WM1Z, and not worry about it.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,836 of 3,158

Other than that potentially not so good news, the fact that you concur with my thoughts re the Beyers, the Shures - and, unknowingly, the Focals, means that I need to listen to you re the WM1Z, and not worry about it.
Yeah we have very similar ears and tuning prefrences. I will be getting a WM1A soon, and will call it a day.
Thank God it wasn't the other way around, my wallet will be a lot happier :)

Hey by the way, could the imbalance be caused by cables?
Okay no, just switched left right ends, bass is still centered right soundstage.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,837 of 3,158

You still need to listen to me about the copper cables :wink:

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,838 of 3,158
To add, it wasn't just me who thought the WM1A was the better pairing. It was unanimous with everyone who had a chance to listen to the different daps.
I pointed it out, and others agreed.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,839 of 3,158
I'm a firm believer in synergy, me - could well be that the CL2 and the WM1A have especially good synergy, together :) (which is really very good to know, for CL2 owners :))

While with different stuff one might possibly notice less of a difference between the ZX300 and the WM1A (heard from different people that balanced they're closer than people here mentioned - but I don't think they compared them with the CL2), or appreciate the WM1Z way more than the WM1A.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #1,841 of 3,158
I wish everyone here a heartfelt Merry Christmas!
Hopefully you'll enjoy this interpretation of "Silent Night", very interesting arrangement and well produced.

Hey, that sounded harsh on the CL2s. Mids were crowded up front, loudness war victim.
:beyersmile:

Nah, just kidding :) sounds great. Merry Christmas to you too. :christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:
And everyone else. Hope you get some good gifts, and enjoy time with the family.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #1,842 of 3,158
IMG_0984.JPG Merry Christmas everyone!

ZX300 arrived yesterday, paired it with my CL2 using a SPC 4.4 cable, while I'm waiting for the OCC one.
The sound is SUBLIME. The notorious mid-range tuning is not at all harsh or "shouty". Synergy must play a vital role with these iems.
Still tip rolling, have tried Tennmaks which isolate prety darn good, but they sound like utter garbage for me to be honest, while the stock silicone tips sound far superior to my ears.
I'm also waiting for some symbio wide bores, fingers crossed these will be my favourite :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,845 of 3,158
I think Synergy and power are both very important with the CL2. I don't care for it paired to the AK70Mk2 nearly as well as to the Opus #1s/xCAN combo and honestly the best portable pairing I have is the little Cayin N3/ifi xDSD paired to the CL2. That mix does good work without over emphasizing the mids and getting a bit sharp. I am also finding the CL2 to be very position sensitive and easy to over-insert where I get one ear seated more deeply than the other which doesn't work well for obvious reasons. I am finding that I am using tips a size larger than I am used to not because I need them for seal, but because they keep both earpieces positioned the same. I am seeing some of both camps arguments on them for sure. Lots of detail, but very tip, position, and source sensitive and can get a bit odd in the mids at times. Review should be finished later this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back