Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,802 of 3,158
Has anyone else with the Sony WM1A upgraded to 3.01fw and noticed a sonic difference?

I’m a bit sceptical with these things, however I swear the sound has tightened up, with the bass especially hitting harder and sounding more musical than before...

Happy to be told it is placebo or otherwise, however my adventures with the CL2 continue to impress and amaze me in equal measure.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,803 of 3,158
Has anyone else with the Sony WM1A upgraded to 3.01fw and noticed a sonic difference?

I’m a bit sceptical with these things, however I swear the sound has tightened up, with the bass especially hitting harder and sounding more musical than before...

Happy to be told it is placebo or otherwise, however my adventures with the CL2 continue to impress and amaze me in equal measure.

Haven’t done the upgrade yet but have noticed a significant difference when switching back to low gain on the wm1a, seems to tone the brightness back a little.

Dec 20, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,805 of 3,158
Oh, I didn't even notice she was using IEMs..lol...

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,807 of 3,158
I got it pre-owned and initially, the sound was not good: the highs were 'piercing' for lack of a better word I ended up using Large symbio wide tips and let them burn it for a few hours and then the sound settled in. I really like it now. It fits nicely between my i4s and KSE 1200: I wanted the bass of the i4s and closed in-ear fit and detail of the KSE1200.

I'm happy.

:L3000:

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #1,808 of 3,158
I got it pre-owned and initially, the sound was not good: the highs were 'piercing' for lack of a better word I ended up using Large symbio wide tips and let them burn it for a few hours and then the sound settled in. I really like it now. It fits nicely between my i4s and KSE 1200: I wanted the bass of the i4s and closed in-ear fit and detail of the KSE1200.

I'm happy.

:L3000:
They just get better and better. These iems have been getting a lot of grief because of that initial burn in period.
Good to have you on board, glad you are enjoying them :)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,809 of 3,158
For those that want to know if the "peak" will affect them, they must demo this album...

To me, sounds strangely fantastic, but to those on the fringe, this will probably kill their ears.

85/120 on high gain on the WM1A sounds blissful to me.

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #1,810 of 3,158
I can't overstate for the people considering buying the CL2 how important Burn in and tip rolling is for this iem.
My new spiral dots, size medium small (size smaller than usual), have taken this to another level for me.
I did not think that could have been possible. The bass is simply incredible and it does not overshadow the mids or treble one bit. Separation and resolution is unmatched.
This now feels like a combination of the best BA and the Best Dynamic all married together with the most lifelike timbre.
I must have spent over a 100 dollars on tips, and an extra 150 on a copper cable.
Add all that up, and this is still the cheapest True TOTL sound you can get right now.
This iem has taken me on a very interesting ride to say the least.
Get to check out the shure electrostats and xelento tomorrow :)
And other top end daps and amps.
Thanks to @csglinux
Really looking forward to this meetup :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,813 of 3,158
The Xelento will sound very peaky in comparison (ironic considering the CL2 is said to be the peaky one)...

I’d be interested in your thoughts on the KSE1200/1500 - I genuinely didn’t like them an wondered why on earth they cost what they do - but that could’ve just been me / bad day.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #1,814 of 3,158
So i got to try out the WM1A and the WM1Z with the CL2. Did A/B/C testing with all three Sony DAPs.
Without a doubt the best combo was the WM1A. It wasn't close.
Then tried the Sony TA-ZH1ES and they went up another level.
The CL2 scales really really well.
The soundstage and instrument separation on the WM1A was a big step up from the NW-ZX300, and the neutral signature suited the CL2 the best.
I found the WM1Z to be worse, its not as good of a match as the WM1A, the sound is muddier, and there is a bit of a harshness there, that is not present on the other Daps.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,815 of 3,158
Got to try the Xelento. Now granted, I only had a few hours with it, tried different tips, including stocks, it just wasn't a good match with the ZX300.
Bass was bleeding into the mids, I think the 4.4mm copper cable made it worse.
Its not my cup of tea from the time I had with it. And my ears are used to the CL2 signature, and the tonality sounded off.
And highs felt sharp, and peaky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back