Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #1,771 of 3,158
I have... remember? Earfoams are the Flare PRO tips.
Those were among the best fit for me with the CL2, I think I mentioned them in my review as well.

They have an unusual shape, depending on physiology could be great fit... for me one of the best combo bass wise...
That's where I remember hearing about them..duh :)
Awesome. I just ordered a set.
One quick question, how did they compare to the tennmaks for you?

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,772 of 3,158
That's where I remember hearing about them..duh :)
Awesome. I just ordered a set. One quick question, how did they compare to the tennmaks for you?

I had a better seal so more impact definitely, but you loose a bit of clarity (the tennmaks were quite good there) and when I tried them for my physiology UE900 tips were just as good in the bass and no loss of clarity. Of course YMMV!

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,773 of 3,158
I had a better seal so more impact definitely, but you loose a bit of clarity (the tennmaks were quite good there) and when I tried them for my physiology UE900 tips were just as good in the bass and no loss of clarity. Of course YMMV!
So the bore was wider on the flares or the u900?
I know tennmaks are 6mm wide. I lose some treble with the tennmaks compared to the dots, but bass and clarity are a step up.
I don't know if I can marry what I get out of both.
Maybe I should try the u900 instead?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,774 of 3,158
So the bore was wider on the flares or the u900?
I know tennmaks are 6mm wide. I lose some treble with the tennmaks compared to the dots, but bass and clarity are a step up.
I don't know if I can marry what I get out of both.
Maybe I should try the u900 instead?

UE900 are narrower than tennmaks, but just the width of the nozzle basically.
Maybe worth a try, or get a custom eartip ?

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,775 of 3,158
UE900 are narrower than tennmaks, but just the width of the nozzle basically.
Maybe worth a try, or get a custom eartip ?
That's probably the best idea, thanks. I'll look into customs.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,776 of 3,158
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32712...XwHNkJvyHZhJX2n830SKrmRSHfaDcvu71544938509844

Found some tennmak knockoffs, the large are 1mm bigger than the tennmaks. 3 pair for a $1.20
Also thinking about doing an experiment on one of the tips and filling the outer skin with a soft silicone glue, 3 mm deep to increase isolation. A foam without the foam.

Switched to the Dots for the day, and I missed the tennmaks dearly. It's crazy how much the sound changes based on tips.

Dec 16, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,777 of 3,158
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32712...XwHNkJvyHZhJX2n830SKrmRSHfaDcvu71544938509844

Found some tennmak knockoffs, the large are 1mm bigger than the tennmaks. 3 pair for a $1.20
Also thinking about doing an experiment on one of the tips and filling the outer skin with a soft silicone glue, 3 mm deep to increase isolation. A foam without the foam.

Switched to the Dots for the day, and I missed the tennmaks dearly. It's crazy how much the sound changes based on tips.
Don’t know if I’m having special times because I am only on my cell, however trying to purchase a pair and it only gives me a random selection of cities, none of which are mine... how do you manually enter a city?

Dec 16, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,778 of 3,158
Don’t know if I’m having special times because I am only on my cell, however trying to purchase a pair and it only gives me a random selection of cities, none of which are mine... how do you manually enter a city?
I just did paypal. Address goes in automatically
Also if you send them a message, they will send you all large sizes or whatever you request.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,779 of 3,158

Can you guys please try out this song and reply back if it sounds harsh.
Thank you.
@davidmolliere :)

Funnily enough, the YouTube version sounds a lot better than the CD version, whoever mastered the CD version needs to go back to audio school!

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,780 of 3,158
Funnily enough, the YouTube version sounds a lot better than the CD version, whoever mastered the CD version needs to go back to audio school!

That is so funny
The YouTube version sounds a billion times better than the CD, HAHA.
Proper Dynamic Depth, no cramped mids, no loudness artifacts, sounds great.
She has an amazing voice, would love to get my hands on a quality release.

P.S These European singers are smashing American pop stars into the ground.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #1,781 of 3,158
That is so funny
The YouTube version sounds a billion times better than the CD, HAHA.
Proper Dynamic Depth, no cramped mids, no loudness artifacts, sounds great.
She has an amazing voice, would love to get my hands on a quality release.

I’ll check if my Qobuz flac files are like the CD but I don’t remember this...

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,782 of 3,158
Well - approx 80 hours in & still waiting for these to convince me to keep them - until I just listened to Freya Ridings on YouTube as above. Wow!!. Not sending them back now they are giving a hint of what most on here say they are capable of. But why does all the music from CD's I have ripped on lossless to Windows Media Player not sound like the YouTube gig of Freya above?? I have not heard better. Is there a better way to copy CD's than on to WMP?

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,783 of 3,158
Well - approx 80 hours in & still waiting for these to convince me to keep them - until I just listened to Freya Ridings on YouTube as above. Wow!!. Not sending them back now they are giving a hint of what most on here say they are capable of. But why does all the music from CD's I have ripped on lossless to Windows Media Player not sound like the YouTube gig of Freya above?? I have not heard better. Is there a better way to copy CD's than on to WMP?
Find and download a DSD format of Hotel California, the whole album. Once you hear it for yourself, you will have the CL2 in your pocket everywhere you go from there on out.
What setting are you ripping your CDs at?
Windows has a pretty bad codec and disk copier from what I remember.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,784 of 3,158
Try using exact audio copy. It is free, do a test track and see if it changes things.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,785 of 3,158
For a closed back headphone equivalent to the level of the CL2 does anyone have some recommendations? Unfortunately, I cannot audition as 300 miles from the nearest vendor so will be buying before trying. As my first post, I had Mr Speakers Ether C Closed that was great for the music I like - female vocalists - but not enough bass. I am tempted to try the latest Ether C Flow with the tuning pads. But the Sennheiser HD820 & Sony MDR Z1R are also up there, amongst others. Anyone here have a high end closed back? Hugo 2 will be driving them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back