Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,247 of 3,158
I bought a pair of Wolf von Langa fieldcoil drivers this summer, to substitute for the midrange drivers in my three-way horn speakers. They cost more than any other element in my setup and are not even functional by themselves (need a suitable power supply). So, yes, you did some spending, but there are crazier people out there - like me! Be careful where this hobby can take you...

Well sure, there is always crazier... I feel this is crazy enough for me so far :p

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,248 of 3,158
I am a diehard Tupac Shakur fan. Been listening to his music for as long as I can remember.
When I first got the CL2, I didn't think it was a good IEM for Rap, so I moved off that genre.
Tonight I went back to 2pac, and to my surprise, it sounds amazing.
I am listening to his songs like I have never heard them before.
Instruments in songs that I never knew existed. Songs that I have been listening to for over 15 years.
A very very unique iem.
Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Edit: just found a Tupac Greatest Hits DSD.
Today is a good day.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #1,250 of 3,158
Just got a tip from the Solaris thread. Symbios with the foam removed.
The mediums fit the CL2 so well, and are so comfortable.
Work better for my ears than even the spiral dots.
So comfy. And the CL2 is kicking like a mule.
Might be worth trying for others.
YMMV. Obviously.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #1,251 of 3,158
Im also waiting for my Symbios tips
hoping to get them soon, Spiral dots are nice but doesn't seem to seal well..

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,252 of 3,158
Im also waiting for my Symbios tips
hoping to get them soon, Spiral dots are nice but doesn't seem to seal well..
Take the foams out of 1 pair and try them like this. Game changer for me.
The CL2 is kicking like a true dynamic iem for me with these tips.
I really hope they work for you as well as they are for me. :)
And please report back when you try them.
These might just be the go to tips for this iem.
Edit: These are symbios W

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,253 of 3,158
150 hours in. Sounds mostly the same as 85 hours, but the speed and tightness of this driver is just incredible. Best reproduction of attack and decay I've ever heard. Every detail is there. In no way do any frequencies obfuscate others. And it doesn't sound dull (I'm looking at you oppo pm-3). It lacks the grain of a lot of planar drivers.

This is a remarkable driver. Has anyone torn into it to actually see it? There's gotta be some secret hidden in the air damping of this driver....

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,254 of 3,158
150 hours in. Sounds mostly the same as 85 hours, but the speed and tightness of this driver is just incredible. Best reproduction of attack and decay I've ever heard. Every detail is there. In no way do any frequencies obfuscate others. And it doesn't sound dull (I'm looking at you oppo pm-3). It lacks the grain of a lot of planar drivers.

This is a remarkable driver. Has anyone torn into it to actually see it? There's gotta be some secret hidden in the air damping of this driver....
I don't think so. But I suggest you don't volunteer :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #1,256 of 3,158
We feel duty-bound to point out that this would void the warranty.
I just want to congratulate you guys on a job well done. Really enjoying this little product you guys have designed.
Must have a little pixie dust in there somewhere.
Not about to void warranty to find out :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,257 of 3,158

What do you think of the tuning so far?
The 4k bump in particular
And what tips are you using?

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #1,258 of 3,158
Currently using large kz starlines. I have spiral dots on order, but the starlines have been the best of the 10 or so types of tips I've used. I typically don't have any issue getting a good seal, and these are no different. I just wish the nozzle were a little longer so I could get these right up against my eardrum.

As far as tuning. I have these EQ'd about average and it took me an average amount of time to get them where I wanted them. In general I've EQ'd them to be warmer and add some air to the 8-20k range. I have -3db at 4k. Generally id agree there is a slight peak here, but don't agree with people saying it's 5-10db. They're nowhere near the isine20 in terms of being really badly tuned.

Overall, tuning is adequate. It's a very capable driver so it takes to EQ just fine, and that's ok by me.

Also, I have no intention of opening up my pair, my hands are so shaky I can barely change out cables on these tiny things!

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,259 of 3,158
Currently using large kz starlines. I have spiral dots on order, but the starlines have been the best of the 10 or so types of tips I've used. I typically don't have any issue getting a good seal, and these are no different. I just wish the nozzle were a little longer so I could get these right up against my eardrum.

As far as tuning. I have these EQ'd about average and it took me an average amount of time to get them where I wanted them. In general I've EQ'd them to be warmer and add some air to the 8-20k range. I have -3db at 4k. Generally id agree there is a slight peak here, but don't agree with people saying it's 5-10db. They're nowhere near the isine20 in terms of being really badly tuned.

Overall, tuning is adequate. It's a very capable driver so it takes to EQ just fine, and that's ok by me.

Also, I have no intention of opening up my pair, my hands are so shaky I can barely change out cables on these tiny things!
For all the arguments about tuning. It has to be said, it responds to eq really really well.
You can tailor it to whatever sound you prefer very very easily.
My ears are now very used to the 4K region, if I mess with it, I miss it instantly.
Edit: I am going to take a week off from listening to these. My ears are fatiguing, and they need rest.
Enjoy your CL2s. :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,260 of 3,158
For all the arguments about tuning. It has to be said, it responds to eq really really well.
You can tailor it to whatever sound you prefer very very easily.
My ears are now very used to the 4K region, if I mess with it, I miss it instantly.
Edit: I am going to take a week off from listening to these. My ears are fatiguing, and they need rest.
Enjoy your CL2s. :)

Yeah, I EQ everything, so generally technical capability is far more important to me than stock tuning. I'm trying to think of something I have heard that takes to EQ across the spectrum so well, but I can't.... The it04 is close and so is the isine20, but the bass EQs better in these without bleeding into the mids, and goes deeper than the isine20.

I do have some trouble with DSP/mseb on these, but that likely has a lot more to do with their relative difficulty to drive. I get distortion relatively quickly versus my more efficient pairs using mseb too liberally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back