Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #1,261 of 3,158
Gartner is a strategy consulting company that came up with a "Hype Cycle" for technology. I think it works for the CL2. I think we are just past the trough of disillusionment.

cl2 (1).jpg

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,262 of 3,158
I’ve got so many of the KZ star line tips that it would be rude of me to not try that recommendation - just hope they’re large enough!

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,263 of 3,158
I've bought a nice cable for the CL2 from a fellow head-fier, should be here with me this week. After I have had enough time to try it out I will add in a paragraph to my review, together with some thoughts about bluetooth.

And the new firmware update for my DirectStream DAC is out, this could be a very good week from an audiophile perspective...!

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,264 of 3,158
I’ve got so many of the KZ star line tips that it would be rude of me to not try that recommendation - just hope they’re large enough!
My ears are not tip picky at all. YMMV. I usually don't hear much difference so long as I get a good seal, which I can usually do with just about anything that's large enough. The only tips I really dislike are spinfits....

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #1,265 of 3,158
My ears are not tip picky at all. YMMV. I usually don't hear much difference so long as I get a good seal, which I can usually do with just about anything that's large enough. The only tips I really dislike are spinfits....
Very interesting - they sit much further away from the driver than I thought...

Bass is definitely boosted, and the mids are thicker / richer, unsure about the reduction of treble - although it does lend itself an air of analougeness - vocals definitely sound richer!

Its funny, seeing how the tips are (generally speaking) trashed when people talk about the KZ line - which is why I’ve never used them up to now...

Will see how they fare tomorrow.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,266 of 3,158

Nice to see someone else who also dislikes spinfits...most people seem to like them and I don't understand. They give a good seal, but thin material means that sound isolation is poor. I have also noticed it makes the sound lighter. I've tried a few different variations (like the newer double flange) but same deal. Don't get them.

I'm also not a fan of comply tips. Alter the sound sig too much.

I'm usually fine with typical silicone tips. The stock medium tips of the CL2 fit me just fine. The problem is when the earpiece is too thick and I'm unable to push the tip in deep enough (esp if it's a stubby tip). Not a problem at all with the tiny CL2.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,267 of 3,158
Nice to see someone else who also dislikes spinfits...most people seem to like them and I don't understand. They give a good seal, but thin material means that sound isolation is poor. I have also noticed it makes the sound lighter. I've tried a few different variations (like the newer double flange) but same deal. Don't get them.

I'm also not a fan of comply tips. Alter the sound sig too much.

I'm usually fine with typical silicone tips. The stock medium tips of the CL2 fit me just fine. The problem is when the earpiece is too thick and I'm unable to push the tip in deep enough (esp if it's a stubby tip). Not a problem at all with the tiny CL2.
I think new bee foam tips are better than comply. They're quicker to recover and not as dense, having to insert and remove comply tips is a major pain. They're my preferred foam tips, and super comfortable.

I'd never noticed how thin spinfits are but you're right. My own hypothesis is that they're made for people with long and narrow ear canals, and that's not me. Like I said, I can get a good seal with most anything that's large enough.

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,268 of 3,158
I like spinfit because they fit my right ear well which I think have trouble with other tips on. The Final Audio E-tips also work well, as well as Rebound foams.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #1,269 of 3,158
Ahhh spoke too soon, the decored symbios, something is off, (shrunk soundstage and tunneling of the sound when compared to the spiraldots.) these have a more constricted nozzle at the very end. The tip is narrower than the base. (Still work really well with the DM6)
Back to Spiral Dots, will do a longer listening session again soon.
These really do well with wide bore tips, any constriction of the nozzle is a detriment to the sound in my opinion.
KZ whirlwind silicones look promising.
Wider bore.
Edit: just ordered some tennmak tips. Will be here in 2 days.
All this talk of eq got me working. +1db in the 30-60k range, +.5db at the 125 k on the NWZX300, and this hits harder than quite a few well known dynamics out there, with no bleed into the mids.(works well for EDM)
Just beautiful.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,271 of 3,158
The most subjective part of all of this, however this morning I tried the KZ tips again, and they seemed odd with that treble reduction I mentioned last night, so back to the Symbio large wide bore tips for me...

Why are my ear holes so damned large lol

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #1,272 of 3,158
The most subjective part of all of this, however this morning I tried the KZ tips again, and they seemed odd with that treble reduction I mentioned last night, so back to the Symbio large wide bore tips for me...

Why are my ear holes so damned large lol
Weird how that happens :)
Spiral dots are king for me right now.
When I get the tennmak tips in a couple of days, ill do a quick review, those are the only other wide tips on my radar.
FYI: Symbios also skew the signature for me. The tip of the nozzle is smaller than the bottom. It kind of corrals the sound for me. Affects soundstage a lot.
Yours might be different.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #1,273 of 3,158
Weird how that happens :)
Spiral dots are king for me right now.
When I get the tennmak tips in a couple of days, ill do a quick review, those are the only other wide tips on my radar.
FYI: Symbios also skew the signature for me. The tip of the nozzle is smaller than the bottom. It kind of corrals the sound for me. Affects soundstage a lot.
Yours might be different.
Because my lug holes are so large, the solid core of the Symbio W helps me get a good seal, better than the spiral dots...

Tempted to decore a Symbio and put the foam into the spiral dot - does the foam come out cleanly or is it a hatchet job?

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,274 of 3,158
Because my lug holes are so large, the solid core of the Symbio W helps me get a good seal, better than the spiral dots...

Tempted to decore a Symbio and put the foam into the spiral dot - does the foam come out cleanly or is it a hatchet job?
Cleanly

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,275 of 3,158
Just be careful with it. Turn the outer shell completely over, on all sides. And gently slidethe bore out of the foam.
And slip them back on the spiral dots in a similar way.
Works, I am doing it as I type this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back