Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,292 of 3,158
I'll give a comparison I think makes sense here. This is like the first 4k TV when everything else is a 1080p tv, it's cutting edge. Yes, there are flaws, but they're minor in comparison to the potential. I think RHA has probably seen enough feedback to tone down the 4khz region at this point....

Like I said before, it's like in house hunters when someone complains about the paint color.... Get over the 4khz issue. Even with the bump here some find harsh it makes the isine20 (which btw, recommended EQ for the 4khz region is +8 on!) seem like a crude prototype in comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,293 of 3,158
@SciOC I really like your description of Andromeda, this is EXACTLY how I hear them so that's why I LOVE them :)
So far I had mixed feeling about these CL2 but no now I need to get a pair of CL2! damn it!
If you do grab a pair, dear god let them burn in at least 100 hours before even getting them close to your ears.

Obvious weakness of this new planar form factor... Burn in....

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,294 of 3,158
Felt like sacrilege, but removed the foam out of the Symbio and added it to the spiral dots, holy hell! - better mids, treble still extended (although not quite as much as real Symbio), and a much harder hitting bass... Think I could enjoy this, however - as per @Kitechaser I'm going to sit pretty for a while before making final judgement

Nov 13, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,295 of 3,158
I am at 550 hours. And the more my brain gets used to the sound, the more the dc phase linearizer options on the ZX300 sound off to me.
My preferred option for sound processing is direct sound, which is to say, none.
Which is a complete 180 from a few hundred hours ago.
Earlier I found Direct sound bland and lacking in dynamics.
Brain burn in, CL2 burn in, also the sound on the ZX300 finally maturing.
Killer combo.
I am turning into a micro detail fiend. :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,296 of 3,158
Oooh, Natalie prass, switching tracks right now, not sure why I didn't think of her before now.

Anyway, y'all are much pickier than me about tips. I swear if something is big enough to cram far enough down my massive ear canal to get a seal, it all sounds the same, wide bore or not.
You won't be saying that when you hear the difference. Get some dots

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,297 of 3,158
Okay I can conclusively say, Spiral Dots with symbio foams installed, turn the bass up more than a few notches. If you think the CL2 is bass light, not anymore.
Its kicking at full Dynamic levels.
The signature has changed to the point where I am going to have to wrap my head around it.
It's just as comfortable as a regular spiral dot.
Isolation is phenomenal.
This combo is something you definitely wanna try out.
This is with 0 EQ applied.
Edit: whether you want the CL2 to be this bass heavy, or not, is an entirely different question. I am still figuring that out.

Add 4 hours later: I personally don't like the bass bump of these tips, I am enjoying the detail retrieval and accuracy of this driver, and for me (out of the box with spiral dots) the signature is damn near perfect, your tastes may vary.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,298 of 3,158
Whereas for me I found the Spiral Dots a bit bright / harsh, the warmth / lushness that is on offer adding the foam works wonders!

Never ever have I heard such intimate vocals from an IEM (struggling to recall if I've heard full sized cans with this intimacy!), Glorious times.

Nov 14, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,299 of 3,158
Whereas for me I found the Spiral Dots a bit bright / harsh, the warmth / lushness that is on offer adding the foam works wonders!

Never ever have I heard such intimate vocals from an IEM (struggling to recall if I've heard full sized cans with this intimacy!), Glorious times.
These are on a different level. The DM6s I recently got have gotten no more than an hour and a half of listening time in the past month. Its a really good iem, but it is ruined for me after extended listening time with the CL2.
I completely understand why @McCol is going to sell all his other iems, there is no going back after you hear something like this. Vocals and guitars are on a whole another level. I am really starting to appreciate the bass more too, especially in a quite room, the textures are so detailed, and all the notes carry weight, that is non existent on BA drivers.
After the CL2 BAs sound like plastic to me.
I know other people will disagree, but for me, I don't even know how you improve on a sound like this?
Better tuning? Not really
Better bass? How?
Treble? I guess
Mids? Please don't even think about touching these mids :)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,300 of 3,158
Yup, seriously toying with getting extra Christmas funds by selling my AK T8ie mkii and Layla... Getting preciously zero play time.

@RHA Team knocked the ball out of the park with these, just a shame that it probably isn't with the stock accessories.

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,302 of 3,158
What do you mean? 'cos of the spike in the 4-5k frequency? Meaning you'd tone it down (or would think that toning it down would/might make for an improvement)?
The bump is in the upper mids.
This is me personally, I am really enjoying the spike, it gives string instruments a really nice bite, and they sound incredibly detailed, and lifelike and at the same time stand separated from the rest of the mix but very organically.
The lower treble drops right after this bump, and for me, it really really helps with listener fatigue. I mean it when I say, I can listen to these for 10 hours at a time, and not have throbbing ear drums like other iems.
The treble has another spike, that extends for a bit, and to my ear, it sound airy, separated, with sparkle, and highly detailed.
I think the mistake people are making when they compare the frequency graphs to multi BA iems, is that you cannot recreate that signature on a single driver without it all sounding like mush.
To have the separation that this driver has, you need those spikes and drops, so the different frequencies stand out in the mix.
To people just eyeing the graphs, they might think, what the hell was RHA thinking, but If you listen to the iem, and abandon your preconceived notions of what a perfect tuning looks like, this is one hell of a sound. It just works beautifully.
Edit: once brain burn in occurs, you will wonder how you listened to music in any other way but this before.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,303 of 3,158
Yup, seriously toying with getting extra Christmas funds by selling my AK T8ie mkii and Layla... Getting preciously zero play time.

@RHA Team knocked the ball out of the park with these, just a shame that it probably isn't with the stock accessories.
I still have hope @RHA Team switches out stock accessories for their next production run.
This iem needs to sell like hotcakes, because I really want them to have the chance to expand on this tech.
Edit: And my new barely used DM6 is going to my sister.
Still going to buy her a new CL2 and Sony NW-ZX300A for her birthday in May.
She'd better appreciate it, and never give me grief for anything ever again. And I mean ever.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #1,304 of 3,158
I still have hope @RHA Team switches out stock accessories for their next production run.
This iem needs to sell like hotcakes, because I really want them to have the chance to expand on this tech.
Edit: And my new barely used DM6 is going to my sister.
Still going to buy her a new CL2 and Sony NW-ZX300A for her birthday in May.
She'd better appreciate it, and never give me grief for anything ever again. And I mean ever.

I don't believe they are selling that quickly now though, after initial interest and sell-out, sales appear to have slowed. The stock on Amazon's website has been stuck on 10 for some time now, if its a true stock level indication that is.

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,305 of 3,158
I really wish I liked speed metal, i think itd sound absolutely amazing on these.
I don't believe they are selling that quickly now though, after initial interest and sell-out, sales appear to have slowed. The stock on Amazon's website has been stuck on 10 for some time now, if its a true stock level indication that is.
Well, why not order from RHA directly or through Audio 46, where you can easily get a 10% off coupon? I generally don't like too order through Amazon unless I think it's the only safe option.

Frankly, audio 46 is the way to go given the 10% off. Majorhifi was the coupon code I used, but they were listing different ones that worked too so it wasn't like it was a one time deal. $810 shipped with the coupon (tax in New York presumably).

Like I said before, if this doesn't sell great, I hope they license the tech. The driver is top notch. I've not even touched the stock cables or tips. The tips look like standard fare and I was told copper is the type of cable you want (after rolling my cables, I agree).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back