Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,231 of 3,158
Long term break in effect?
This is a frequency response graph using the EARS platform (Pixel 2XL, apple USBC DAC now/Google DAC initially) of when I first received them and yesterday. The bass response is enhanced after time, but it could of course been positional/seal change as well. For those of you who note peaking in the mid-high region, that 4Khz spike is very consistent and is there every time I've tested. I personally cut it down about 5dB via equalization.
Blue is now
Red is initial (9/25)
y4mfrVc-HMZNONnj5vvwzlkzuRakQ8PbdJ44eC7nNUpN9xyBF5ULGYmeEyEgANdkc8-NYeB0pnV7hKrT5LPN5Tr6_w-VMNHEPczdXyXDE4QkIPqBmVNIKCusjx_tXIJe0BxWGgTR3M42wJk6g4sdtBqMm2mof9vuYLdTXVxrr9_xnxmQ572meztKt_zOSbw1YZFACpL5iSrkIWDvG5w5ezO4g

Similar graph and compensation curve on some other planars I have -- super busy chart. sorry.

Red: Unique Melody ME1 Planar IEM as a Universal IEM. I converted this shell to custom IEM recently and it changed the sound quite a bit and I think its quite close to neutral now, maybe a tad south of it in the upper mids.
Blue: Hifiman HE560
Green: Audeze Mobius
Black: Audeze Sine - not the seal on these is challenging with ears since the pads are on-ear and are shallow and small.

planar.jpg

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,232 of 3,158
I am aware of some of the criticism of the Ears testing rig. But, the Shure se846 tracing I get is very similar to that of Goldenears published data.
I've also tested the Oriolus, akg n5005, and that 4k spike isn't there. I like the Rha quite a bit, but personally cut that area back about 5 db, and boost the 20-100 hz range about 5 db.
Also since there is that fall off around 7khz, you avoid the closed ear canal resonance effect.

Yep. I was sure you're probably aware but others may not. I think the Compensated data files they give us fix the issues.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,234 of 3,158
Thanks.
Did you test the RHA as well?

No I don't have it. I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it or not right now. Given your graph, I think I will be passing on this.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #1,235 of 3,158
Before you sell your CL2. How is doing with the tube amp?

Not replying in the Solaris thread doesn't belong there...

It's doing great actually, it's a fantastic pairing, it brings welcome smoothness and warmth to the CL2 as well as additional bass oomph. I really think that CL2 + tube is a very interesting pairing!
I'll update my review accordingly this week, just want to spend more listening time before adding full impressions.

I wish I could keep the CL2 but I have stretched myself thin with the Solaris there... Selling a bunch of stuff as well...

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,236 of 3,158
Not replying in the Solaris thread doesn't belong there...

It's doing great actually, it's a fantastic pairing, it brings welcome smoothness and warmth to the CL2 as well as additional bass oomph. I really think that CL2 + tube is a very interesting pairing!
I'll update my review accordingly this week, just want to spend more listening time before adding full impressions.

I wish I could keep the CL2 but I have stretched myself thin with the Solaris there... Selling a bunch of stuff as well...
You have bought a ton of stuff :) 5 grand plus. Ouch.. :)
Looking forward to the update.
The tune amp will likely be a great upgrade for me.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,237 of 3,158
You have bought a ton of stuff :) 5 grand plus. Ouch.. :)
Looking forward to the update.
The tune amp will likely be a great upgrade for me.

Luckily not that much oh my!
The 1Z was secondhand at a good price and almost fully funded by selling the DX200Ti and amps but yeah some spending for sure...

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,239 of 3,158
I am going to build a desktop System in the next few months.
I think when tubes are done right, they are marvellous. I have little doubt that a good tube design pairs well with the CL2!
But getting the tube amp, and upgrading my library to minimum 24/44 high res are the things I am currently working on.
I am finding myself more and more interested in genres of music that I didn't really listen to before I got the CL2.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,241 of 3,158
Luckily not that much oh my!
The 1Z was secondhand at a good price and almost fully funded by selling the DX200Ti and amps but yeah some spending for sure...
I bought a pair of Wolf von Langa fieldcoil drivers this summer, to substitute for the midrange drivers in my three-way horn speakers. They cost more than any other element in my setup and are not even functional by themselves (need a suitable power supply). So, yes, you did some spending, but there are crazier people out there - like me! Be careful where this hobby can take you...

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,243 of 3,158
That's where I found out about it. After hearing what he had to say about it, I just had to have a listen.
Beautiful music.
The whole album is a masterpiece.
Between this and @davidmolliere rec of Amber Rubarth "Grass top", I was an emotional mess the other night.
Just lost in my music :)

@Kitechaser Ken ball had a few interesting things to say about Beck's Sea Changes here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-solaris.891180/page-44#post-14571754 .... being a very well recorded album should make it sound spectacular, or at least very interesting, with most good IEMs, methinks :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back