Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,366 of 3,158
TBH, it sounds a bit different overall. I have the EQ set closer to flat than anything else I own right now and it sounds just about right.

4khz harshness is gone. I had it at -3db and noticed it sounded all wrong today and put it at 0 and it's now fine..... I had to draw down the bass, midbass and lower mids quite a bit from where I had them, it was way too warm earlier today and was making some songs kind of.... Dull.

Pretty much, they sound unEQd this week the way they sounded EQd last week.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,367 of 3,158
TBH, it sounds a bit different overall. I have the EQ set closer to flat than anything else I own right now and it sounds just about right.

4khz harshness is gone. I had it at -3db and noticed it sounded all wrong today and put it at 0 and it's now fine..... I had to draw down the bass, midbass and lower mids quite a bit from where I had them, it was way too warm earlier today and was making some songs kind of.... Dull.

Pretty much, they sound unEQd this week the way they sounded EQd last week.
Burn in is very real with this iem. That is why it is so hard to review.
I noticed changes up to the 400 hour mark. So itll be very interesting to see what else you find going forward.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,368 of 3,158
Well that's good to hear, I want them to settle down already. They were kind of disappointing this morning until I decided to re-EQ.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,369 of 3,158
The 4kHz harshness is really gone for you guys?? I have a couple hundred hours on them, and while they've calmed down a little bit, it's no where near the harshness being gone. I still pick it up clear as day. Not believing at this point that it'll ever be gone.

Using copper cable and have a terrific, deep tip seal.

Nov 19, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,370 of 3,158
@joshnor713 I might EQ it down 1 db, but I feel like you lose a bit of euphoria/richness, in female vocals especially, any more than that. What I had going on this morning was pretty drab sounding until I got rid of the -3.5 there. I can see having issues with certain sources, especially those with sabre DACs...

What source are you using?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,371 of 3,158
I notice the same exact thing when I eq the sound down at 4k. Really messes with female vocals and guitars.
Around the 350-400 hour mark I remember going back to the direct sound option on the Sony NW-ZX300. The extra bass boost options started sounding wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,372 of 3,158
The 4kHz harshness is really gone for you guys?? I have a couple hundred hours on them, and while they've calmed down a little bit, it's no where near the harshness being gone. I still pick it up clear as day. Not believing at this point that it'll ever be gone.

Using copper cable and have a terrific, deep tip seal.
I would just let it run continuously for the next 4-5 days, and see if your set mellows out.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,373 of 3,158
I would just let it run continuously for the next 4-5 days, and see if your set mellows out.

I did that for the first couple weeks I got it. I noted that it calmed down a bit. In the beginning, listening to rock wasn't a great experience for me. Now it's doable, but whenever sounds in that 4kHz region are prevalent, I can't help but be taken aback at the quality. It's megaphone kind of shrill. Just can't believe how everything else with the sound is stellar and this small region just nosedives. Really does sound like it's a bad unit, but I'm convinced that it's not since both earpieces have the same sound.

RHA said they wanted to push the driver to the limit but I think it's safe to say that they exceeded its limit.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,374 of 3,158
I did that for the first couple weeks I got it. I noted that it calmed down a bit. In the beginning, listening to rock wasn't a great experience for me. Now it's doable, but whenever sounds in that 4kHz region are prevalent, I can't help but be taken aback at the quality. It's megaphone kind of shrill. Just can't believe how everything else with the sound is stellar and this small region just nosedives. Really does sound like it's a bad unit, but I'm convinced that it's not since both earpieces have the same sound.

RHA said they wanted to push the driver to the limit but I think it's safe to say that they exceeded its limit.
Not hearing anything like you are describing. I was listening to nine inch nails today, and it sounds incredible.
Classic rock sounds great.
There are some grunge albums, late 90's 2000's that sound like crap, but they sound like crap on my other iems too.
You have 200 hours on it, try another 200, and if the sound doesn't change, I would consider a different source, or maybe just sell it.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,375 of 3,158
Not hearing anything like you are describing. I was listening to nine inch nails today, and it sounds incredible.
Classic rock sounds great.
There are some grunge albums, late 90's 2000's that sound like crap, but they sound like crap on my other iems too.
You have 200 hours on it, try another 200, and if the sound doesn't change, I would consider a different source, or maybe just sell it.
I kind of also wonder how loud you like to listen.... I know kitechaser and I both listen very loud. This is a pair that really sounds good when pushed loud.

Grunge might also explain this morning a little bit, I listened to nirvana and RATM this morning and it wasn't very good. RATM felt particular dull this morning and that was just wrong. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,376 of 3,158
Don't listen loud, sensitive ears unfortunately. Maybe just not a good pair for my case.

For instance, the original IE 800's treble leaves my ears ringing if I listen too long, at reasonable volume.

Maybe I'm just able to pick up the CL2's peak more than others. I'll keep running it but not confident there would be a significant change by now, aside from brain burn-in :p

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,377 of 3,158
Don't listen loud, sensitive ears unfortunately. Maybe just not a good pair for my case.

For instance, the original IE 800's treble leaves my ears ringing if I listen too long, at reasonable volume.

Maybe I'm just able to pick up the CL2's peak more than others. I'll keep running it but not confident there would be a significant change by now, aside from brain burn-in :p
Could be. Different strokes for different folks. We all hear very differently, you very well may be much more sensitive in that particular range or just don't particularly like this flavor.

I will say that when I put these in after a break, the sounds is"off" for a minute, after that they're immersive. Sort of like the Andromedas, they have a sound that's not necessarily accurate, just extremely vivid, and you can push the hell out of them.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,378 of 3,158
Guys i need help here to find right kind of MMCX connector
wanna buy Plussound cable, and they have three types of MMCX,
MMCX for Shure/Fender/Campfire
MMCX for Wistone
MMcx for Etymotic
MMcx for sony xba
i already have plussound cable with MMCX but its kind of loose and connetor moves its not tight
thx for your help guys:beerchug:

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #1,379 of 3,158
Guys i need help here to find right kind of MMCX connector
wanna buy Plussound cable, and they have three types of MMCX,
MMCX for Shure/Fender/Campfire
MMCX for Wistone
MMcx for Etymotic
MMcx for sony xba
i already have plussound cable with MMCX but its kind of loose and connetor moves its not tight
thx for your help guys:beerchug:
Campfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back