Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,066 of 3,158
One thing I can tell you almost certainly is that these don't play well with high output impedance, which doesn't surprise me given how my isine20 are....

It is my understanding that planar diaphragms. having very little mass and a flat resistive load, require little if any, electrical or mechanical damping, so output impedance of the source should be of far less importance than phones with dynamic drivers or to an even greater extent to those phones with multiple balanced armatures.

Yeah, I've not found the iSine 20 or my Fostex RP driver-based headphones to be notably sensitive to output impedance.

Single dynamic drivers may exhibit some sound changes, e.g. "midbass bloat" but as HiFlight said, it's mainly an issue with multiple driver 'phones.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #1,067 of 3,158
Anyone have a chance to pair them with a pure silver cable? I am thinking of purchasing one on 11/11 aliexpress sale.
Any input would be very appreciated.

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,068 of 3,158
Yeah, I've not found the iSine 20 or my Fostex RP driver-based headphones to be notably sensitive to output impedance.

Single dynamic drivers may exhibit some sound changes, e.g. "midbass bloat" but as HiFlight said, it's mainly an issue with multiple driver 'phones.
It's such a crapshoot. I think the bass, if left unaltered on the hiby r6 sounds awful on the isine20. The Andromeda doesn't sound good either. The it04 on the other hand is fine... Single DDs usually don't have much of a problem since the OI impacts the driver the same at each frequency.

It has something to do with the impedance curves of the driver's not being flat on the multi BAs, impacts on sound aren't linear, so you have shifts. When you have multiple BA drivers, that makes more sense to me why that's the case. Some BAs just have similar characteristics so don't really have issues.

I saw an explanation why planar have issues with OI somewhere, I'll try to dig it up. Basically, muddy bass in some planars....

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,069 of 3,158
It's such a crapshoot. I think the bass, if left unaltered on the hiby r6 sounds awful on the isine20. The Andromeda doesn't sound good either. The it04 on the other hand is fine... Single DDs usually don't have much of a problem since the OI impacts the driver the same at each frequency.

It has something to do with the impedance curves of the driver's not being flat on the multi BAs, impacts on sound aren't linear, so you have shifts. When you have multiple BA drivers, that makes more sense to me why that's the case. Some BAs just have similar characteristics so don't really have issues.

I saw an explanation why planar have issues with OI somewhere, I'll try to dig it up. Basically, muddy bass in some planars....

My first instinct with planar bass getting wonky is that it's more likely to be a lack of current than too much impedance. (For example, OTL tube amps that don't play nice with planars often have high output impedance but also are designed to provide high voltage but not high current, b/c they're design for high impedance headphones. So I wonder if folks are pinning it on the impedance when actually it's that they can't provide enough current.) (But I'm not an engineer, so who knows if anything I just typed makes sense. : )

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,070 of 3,158
My first instinct with planar bass getting wonky is that it's more likely to be a lack of current than too much impedance. (For example, OTL tube amps that don't play nice with planars often have high output impedance but also are designed to provide high voltage but not high current, b/c they're design for high impedance headphones. So I wonder if folks are pinning it on the impedance when actually it's that they can't provide enough current.) (But I'm not an engineer, so who knows if anything I just typed makes sense. : )
You are correct...Low impedance devices are generally considered to need high current for best results vs high impedance loads which are typically voltage dependent. Low impedance does not necessarily relate to high efficiency; such is the case with the CL2 which clearly requires a fair amount of current to deliver optimum performance.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #1,071 of 3,158
Yes, planars should not be affected by OI of the source. At least I've never experienced any issues using my planars over-ears or IEMs (including UM ME1 & iSine) driving from low OI devices, or my 20-ohm Balanced Output of my DX7 DAC/Amp.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,073 of 3,158
Yes, planars should not be affected by OI of the source. At least I've never experienced any issues using my planars over-ears or IEMs (including UM ME1 & iSine) driving from low OI devices, or my 20-ohm Balanced Output of my DX7 DAC/Amp.

Is this related to low and high gain?

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,074 of 3,158
Is this related to low and high gain?

High/Low Gain can sometimes make a difference depending on the amp/DAP i am using and which headphones. The Audeze Sine I have requires a lot more power than advertised and benefits from High Gain. It's actually the hardest headphone I have to drive to volume. But that's independent of Output Impedance.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #1,075 of 3,158
I have played around with high gain on the ZX300 and the CL2 quite a bit.
With high gain on, I have noticed the dynamics improve, but it also raises the noise floor.
This IEM is a power hog for sure, and scales very well with source.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,076 of 3,158
I have played around with high gain on the ZX300 and the CL2 quite a bit.
With high gain on, I have noticed the dynamics improve, but it also raises the noise floor.
This IEM is a power hog for sure, and scales very well with source.
Like I wrote in my review, I think the CL2 can be paired with more expensive sources and amplifiers. For me it just gets better and better, but I guess you can understand that it's kind of difficult to take a big desktop system with me on public transport, so the DX150 remains the CL2s best friend. For now... :ksc75smile:

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,077 of 3,158
Like I wrote in my review, I think the CL2 can be paired with more expensive sources and amplifiers. For me it just gets better and better, but I guess you can understand that it's kind of difficult to take a big desktop system with me on public transport, so the DX150 remains the CL2s best friend. For now... :ksc75smile:
You know what I just found out :)
I downloaded my albums again in high res versions 24/96 and up. 3000kb/sec
And I am not joking these may well be my end game iems. The sound is hard to believe.
The dynamics, clarity, is like nothing I have ever experienced.
I will upgrade my source, and music quality before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,078 of 3,158
Can you please recommend a good desktop setup. Get me started in that direction.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #1,079 of 3,158
There is a big difference between 24bit/44khz and 24bit/192khz
And this iem is resolving enough to make it beyond obvious.
It's very exciting :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #1,080 of 3,158
I am listening to Art Garfunkel watermark LP, and I feel like I am in the music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back