Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #271 of 3,158
To the people using the nw-zx300. Are you using the DC phase linearizer? I am using type B Low. This gives a nice boost to the sub and mid bass.
DSEE HX I thought was fairly useless, and made the music sound artificial.
Tried the bluetooth, without LDAC it is something I will never use. No dice RHA.

Got my nw-zx300 3 days early, only been playing with it for an hour or so. I'm using DC phase linearizer type B standard, I also didn't care for DSEE HX, but I do not have much music on the DAP yet, couldn't wait to play with it so will load everything later, or the burn in time you do. I can't believe Sony recommends 200 hrs burn in time for each output. I read it myself but that seems extreme, oh well I will do my best to achieve it.

As far as sound its worth every penny so far. The CL2's, well let's say you and Joesph Lin are/were right. You don't know what you are missing till you hear it. They are better then I though, or gave them credit for. Thanks for the recommendation. :ksc75smile: I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #272 of 3,158
Unfortunately, I have to make a decision on these really quickly due to RHA's ridiculously short return period. I have to say that despite a few days of burn-in, I don't think they actually sound better to my ears than the Xelento. There's a midrange recession that robs the music of just a little bit of life. Don't get me wrong, these are very good headphones, but I suspect I'm going to spend the next day tip-rolling to see if they open up with the right tips.

It doesn't help that the only remote cable is the Bluetooth one, and I find the normal wired cable far too clunky to be useful in my day to day listening. The contrast between the finish of the bluetooth cable and the wire ones is jarring.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #273 of 3,158
Unfortunately, I have to make a decision on these really quickly due to RHA's ridiculously short return period. I have to say that despite a few days of burn-in, I don't think they actually sound better to my ears than the Xelento. There's a midrange recession that robs the music of just a little bit of life. Don't get me wrong, these are very good headphones, but I suspect I'm going to spend the next day tip-rolling to see if they open up with the right tips.

It doesn't help that the only remote cable is the Bluetooth one, and I find the normal wired cable far too clunky to be useful in my day to day listening. The contrast between the finish of the bluetooth cable and the wire ones is jarring.
I am interested in hearing your comparison to the xelento. I am also looking to pick those up in a few months.
And yes the cables they come with are too clunky, and have bad microphonics, I am using a 4.4mm ALO Litz.
The Cl2 and Xelento I feel will complement each other very very well.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #274 of 3,158

And what DAP are you using to play these?

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #275 of 3,158

I think most of the people did not realize that the low impedance and low sensitivity IEM requires powerful amp. Most when see low impedance would assume CL2 will sound good with any DAP even a phone. The fact is that you can hear the music but there will be no life in it. If it is properly driven, the sound is very good especially bass and treble. How do you know CL2 is properly driven? If you hear a lot of deep bass roaring and the highs are sparkling, you are in business.

As of tips, I found JVC Spiral Dot are really good, the best I have tried so far. It blocks out majority of the outside noise and elevates the lows and highs. The problem of it is that you tend to listen in higher volume because the louder it is the better it sounds.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #276 of 3,158
Running my CL2 out of an iPhone XS using the lightning to headphone adaptor. That’s my standard listening while getting things done option.

I will try some Spiral Dots, thanks. I do really like that the sound is almost as good as with Xelento with better isolation.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #277 of 3,158
Running my CL2 out of an iPhone XS using the lightning to headphone adaptor. That’s my standard listening while getting things done option.

I will try some Spiral Dots, thanks. I do really like that the sound is almost as good as with Xelento with better isolation.

Although I'm sure they sound fine out of the Iphone you aren't really doing them justice. As has been said already the CL2 need a decent source or amp to get the best out of them.

Oct 1, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #278 of 3,158
I think most of the people did not realize that the low
I think most of the people did not realize that the low impedance and low sensitivity IEM requires powerful amp. Most when see low impedance would assume CL2 will sound good with any DAP even a phone. The fact is that you can hear the music but there will be no life in it. If it is properly driven, the sound is very good especially bass and treble. How do you know CL2 is properly driven? If you hear a lot of deep bass roaring and the highs are sparkling, you are in business.

As of tips, I found JVC Spiral Dot are really good, the best I have tried so far. It blocks out majority of the outside noise and elevates the lows and highs. The problem of it is that you tend to listen in higher volume because the louder it is the better it sounds.
I am gonna try the spiral dots too, about to order them.
I have some symbios coming in, so will post a comparison when I have them all.
On the sony the mids are very energetic, and these do need a good DAP to get them to run at peak performance.
I don't think the iPhone can do these justice, out of my galaxy, they sound like a cackling Hyena.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #279 of 3,158

Exactly, low impedance means they require higher current, low sensitivity means they need power so you won't get both from a smartphone not matter if you push the sound loud enough to 85/90%

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #281 of 3,158
I think most of the people did not realize that the low impedance and low sensitivity IEM requires powerful amp. Most when see low impedance would assume CL2 will sound good with any DAP even a phone.

This is exactly what I though, boy was I wrong.

Oct 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #282 of 3,158
Guys quick question. So I am using medium tips with the CL2, for spiral dots, should I order M/L or M?
Any help will be much appreciated.
These are gonna come in from Japan, so a return is not feasible.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #283 of 3,158
Guys quick question. So I am using medium tips with the CL2, for spiral dots, should I order M/L or M?
Any help will be much appreciated.
These are gonna come in from Japan, so a return is not feasible.

I have no experience with those tips, sorry.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #284 of 3,158
The RHA double flange large, are pretty nice. The isolation went up and the bore size is larger than the medium tips. Bass and isolation went up tremendously.
My ears are hurting so I can't make any long term SQ judgements. But these are pretty awesome.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #285 of 3,158
The RHA double flange large, are pretty nice. The isolation went up and the bore size is larger than the medium tips. Bass and isolation went up tremendously.
My ears are hurting so I can't make any long term SQ judgements. But these are pretty awesome.

Those worked the best for me, till I did some tip rolling and found the Klipsch that I'm using now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back