Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #241 of 3,158
It's a tricky subject I feel when discussing the best DAP's/Amps and DAC's to use with the CL2 as there are so many variables which could makes one person's winner another's loser.

An example being the Q5, I've been using the CL2 with it the last week and think they are a really good pairing, open sound with plenty of detail. The ZX300 I've had for a couple of days and from the 4.4mm output there is a definite improvement over the Q5, not by a massive amount but an improvement.

I sold my DX200 recently as I wanted more of a basic player with no apps or streaming etc etc. I can use my Iphone/Q5 forthat and it is more fluid than any DAP that I've owned over the last couple of years that try to support Android.
However from a SQ point of view, the ZX300 is probably not quite as good to my ears than the DX200, not by a huge margin though and I'm happy with the small sacrifice to have the more straightforward functions of the ZX300.
True. But remember, it takes 200hrs of burn in to get the best sound out of the zx300.
I am at 80 hours and counting.
SONY mentions that in one of their player menus. The capacitors need 200 hours to get fully efficient.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #242 of 3,158
It's a tricky subject I feel when discussing the best DAP's/Amps and DAC's to use with the CL2 as there are so many variables which could makes one person's winner another's loser.

An example being the Q5, I've been using the CL2 with it the last week and think they are a really good pairing, open sound with plenty of detail. The ZX300 I've had for a couple of days and from the 4.4mm output there is a definite improvement over the Q5, not by a massive amount but an improvement.

I sold my DX200 recently as I wanted more of a basic player with no apps or streaming etc etc. I can use my Iphone/Q5 forthat and it is more fluid than any DAP that I've owned over the last couple of years that try to support Android.
However from a SQ point of view, the ZX300 is probably not quite as good to my ears than the DX200, not by a huge margin though and I'm happy with the small sacrifice to have the more straightforward functions of the ZX300.
How are you liking the Cl2 now that you have had some time with it?

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #243 of 3,158
How are you liking the Cl2 now that you have had some time with it?

They impress me a little more with each different album I listen too, they pull details from the music that I've heard before but not with as much clarity or finesse as I do now. The fit is one of the major pluses for me, these fit like a glove, never work there way out of the ear and I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

Didn't realize the burn-in period for the Zx300 was as long as that!

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #244 of 3,158
They impress me a little more with each different album I listen too, they pull details from the music that I've heard before but not with as much clarity or finesse as I do now. The fit is one of the major pluses for me, these fit like a glove, never work there way out of the ear and I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

Didn't realize the burn-in period for the Zx300 was as long as that!
It takes 200 hours of burn in, EACH, for the SE and Balanced output.
So 400 total. In the player EQ setting screen, there is a tab that talks about sound quality, if you press it, it let's you know why it needs 200 hours.
I am only using balanced, and will not be using SE.
Will be running it continuously for the next 3-4 days. To get to 200 hours of burn in,on both the CL2 and the Sony.

"""""The burn-in process on this device is very real btw. The changes in sq are quite substantial with each 50 hrs.""""
This is from the zx300 forum.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #245 of 3,158
I wonder what amanand88keys has to say on this subject. I think he said he is using a dx150.
That is correct. I have absolutey no issues driving the CL2 with the DX150 from its balanced output. I listen on 75-95 out of 160 volume steps. That's with the high-gain setting, low gain mode would also work. I have not tried single-ended output so far, but I will look into it for the upcoming review.
I would expect the KANN to drive the CL2 pretty effortlessly. There might be other technical aspects that could result in a bad match, but given that RHA used iPhones to demo the CL2 at IFA Berlin this year, I don't think that's the case.
There's always the possibility of someone not liking the CL2, plain and simple! People have different tastes and standards.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #247 of 3,158

Ok, I admit I am spoiled by WA8. I should shelf it or I will lose interest in listening to other DAPs. Q5's image is bright with CL2. The highs are good with sharpness here and there, boxed in feel. The bass hits harder more on around 150hz than the rest. Unlike WA8, it roars with deep bass and smooth high. Very smooth. I am using Q5 listening to Ariana Grande Moonlite now(I use hundreds of different style music to burn in), the high is good, almost airy but the bass around 0:43 or so hits lighter than WA8. I am at 48 hours of burn in. Let's see what will happen at 200 hours.

It is just my personal preference, take it as a grain of salt.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #248 of 3,158
Oh my goodness, the source is critical to CL2! I finished 27 hours of burn in with WA8 with satisfying highs and lows(too much bass!!). I feel like needing to switch to other source to test it so I switched to DP-X1. To my surprise, it sounded so plain and dull! It is like DP-X1 is not able to drive it properly. I then realized, when playing with WA8, I have to turn the volume all the way to 2/10. I rarely turn the volume this high. For comparison purpose, my T1 is 600ohm and I turn WA8 volume to 3/10 to get a satisfying listen. When listening to Andromeda, I rarely turn more than 1/10. However, I have to use 2/10 for CL2!! I listen to Utopia at 1.5/10!

I suspected as much :)

Specs are not everything, and driving the CL2 loud enough doesn’t mean it’s driven well enough. Low impedance IEMs are deceptive, because you don’t need power to drive them loud enough, but the lower the impendance the higher the need for current. That’s even more true for multi-BA, but I suspect the CL2 still need both current and power to be driven well. You need some headroom. This can greatly affect bass in particular but treble also. Last but not least output impedance can skew the signature as well, needs to be under 2 ohms for the CL2 (the rule of 1/8th applies).

DX200/DX150 should be good with the CL2, as most amp modules are pretty powerful and in particular with AMP8 and AMP7 which feature discrete components, like desktop amps do. They can provide 2700mA and 6,2V RMS.

Not surprised that DP-X1 has trouble driving them but surprised that KANN has trouble driving them well balanced, with the 7V RMS of power, but then I don’t know how much current it provides and if the OI is low enough.

I guess amps like WA8 are pretty good options, from the feedback so far tube amps should be interesting with the CL2.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #249 of 3,158
I suspected as much :)

Specs are not everything, and driving the CL2 loud enough doesn’t mean it’s driven well enough. Low impedance IEMs are deceptive, because you don’t need power to drive them loud enough, but the lower the impendance the higher the need for current. That’s even more true for multi-BA, but I suspect the CL2 still need both current and power to be driven well. You need some headroom. This can greatly affect bass in particular but treble also. Last but not least output impedance can skew the signature as well, needs to be under 2 ohms for the CL2 (the rule of 1/8th applies).

DX200/DX150 should be good with the CL2, as most amp modules are pretty powerful and in particular with AMP8 and AMP7 which feature discrete components, like desktop amps do. They can provide 2700mA and 6,2V RMS. Surprised that KANN has trouble driving them well balanced, with the 7V RMS of power, but then I don’t know how much current it provides and if the OI is low enough.

I guess amps like WA8 are pretty good options, from the feedback so far tube amps should be interesting with the CL2.
I agree with you. The more I listen to it, the more I believe a good amp is a necessity to reveal the true potential of CL2. I am listening to Jason Derulo's the other side with iDSD now, the bass is tight, strong and thick and the highs are airy. Very good listening experience. Still, the highs are not as smooth as WA8. Ok, I'll stop talking about WA8 from now on.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #250 of 3,158
Anyone use the bluetooth neckband? Does it have voice prompts? I have been trying to turn it on, check battery, pair, nothing works. Charged it for 6 hrs, still nothing working.

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #251 of 3,158
Anyone use the bluetooth neckband? Does it have voice prompts? I have been trying to turn it on, check battery, pair, nothing works. Charged it for 6 hrs, still nothing working.
Power button is on the neck part, not the middle of those three bottons.

Sep 30, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #252 of 3,158
Is anyone in a position to make a comparison to the SE846? I have no problems with them but every so often I switch back to the T20 to enjoy a dynamic bass presentation. At the CL2's price point it might be the ideal switch before looking up the (price) chain at a hybrid.

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #253 of 3,158
Power button is on the neck part, not the middle of those three bottons.

Thanks for your response, but I believe I was trying that button. The button its below the charge port, and above the little led light for the charge level, on the round section on the neckband? It does nothing.

Thats why I wanted know if it did voice prompts, at least I could tell if it was on, or mine is broken. As it is I get no prompts, no light, and no indication of anything working.

I have the manual in front of me, have read it 4 or 5 times now, I know I'm dense, but hopefully not that dense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back