Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Sep 28, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #227 of 3,158
Looks like I can only enjoy CL2 with balanced out when using portable DAPs. SE simply cannot drive CL2 properly, the lows/mids are very muddy, veiled. KANN can drive CL2 with balanced out but not to its potential. Either CL2 is very hard to drive or I am spoiled by WA8! You can get loud enough volume but dynamics are lacking. Sigh....I thought I found a good on the go IEM. I think I still need to get a U18.
Looks like I can only enjoy CL2 with balanced out when using portable DAPs. SE simply cannot drive CL2 properly, the lows/mids are very muddy, veiled. KANN can drive CL2 with balanced out but not to its potential. Either CL2 is very hard to drive or I am spoiled by WA8! You can get loud enough volume but dynamics are lacking. Sigh....I thought I found a good on the go IEM. I think I still need to get a U18.
lmao. You are definitely spoiled by the WA8. (Makes me wanna try them) :)
The AK Kann should be able to drive it easily. I'll let others chime in with the players they are using.
But these are amazing with the ZX300.

Sep 28, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #230 of 3,158
Maybe I missed something but the CL2's are only 15 ohms. Seems pretty easy to drive to me.

Low impedance but also low sensitivity (89db/mW), so it could present a challenge. Plugging some numbers into headphone calculator websites says they would actually be about as hard to drive as a Fostex T50RP, and there are people who insist you need to plug those into somethinng like the Emotiva Bas-X 100 with the jumpers in.

That being said, there's not a shortage of portable amps putting out more power than the WA8 at 15 ohms. If they sound good with the WA8, then one could make a portable stack with, e.g., an iFi xDSD, Fiio Q5, or Vorzuge Duo that would provide more power than the WA8 at that impedance while probably being no more or cumbersome than an AK Kann on its own. (Although the Kann, also, should have no problem driving the CL2s based on power requirements.)

Probably it's not the WA8's power output that's giving it the edge here. More likely it's sound coloration (yay tubes) or, I dunno, something about being class A.

Note: I haven't heard literally any of the things I just mentioned, apart from T50RPs : )

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #231 of 3,158
That being said, there's not a shortage of portable amps putting out more power than the WA8 at 15 ohms. If they sound good with the WA8, then one could make a portable stack with, e.g., an iFi xDSD, Fiio Q5, or Vorzuge Duo that would provide more power than the WA8 at that impedance while probably being no more or cumbersome than an AK Kann on its own. (Although the Kann, also, should have no problem driving the CL2s based on power requirements.)

Probably it's not the WA8's power output that's giving it the edge here. More likely it's sound coloration (yay tubes) or, I dunno, something about being class A.

Note: I haven't heard literally any of the things I just mentioned, apart from T50RPs : )
I tried Fiio Q5, you should not try it, it makes the sound even worse!!
I just tested iFi iDSD BL and Mojo, both sound great with CL2! Seems like CL2 needs an amp to drive to its potential. From my limited listening session, the driving power is WA8> iFi iDSD BL > Mojo > Kann >> DP-X1 but I guess everyone know that.

In my opinion, even Mojo cannot drive CL2 well enough. Low/mid are still veiled, highs are not as as resolving as WA8 and iDSD. CL2 is officially the most difficult to drive IEM of my collection!

I think saying WA8 sound is colored offended many people.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #232 of 3,158
Maybe I missed something but the CL2's are only 15 ohms. Seems pretty easy to drive to me.
These still sound really good with my cowon plenue d 3.5mm end.
It's just that they scale up incredibly well, when you hear them out of a good amp, it's hard to go back down.
I lose some separation, and lot of the soundstage with the cowon, but I would still classify the sound as really good.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #233 of 3,158
Yeah I just went back to the cowon d to test. The volume level is high, and sounds really good. Soundstage is not the same.
Resolution is still good, separation is on par. Volume is no problem, playing it at 65 level, plenty loud. Goes up to 120.
The 3d hologram effect is reduced quite a bit. (Has to do with soundstage)
But overall a very pleasant high quality sound.
Other people can chime in.
The cl2 burn in was over 80 hours.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #234 of 3,158
In short, if you pair these with a good player, itll give you oompa loompas for Christmas.
:)
Really wanna see what other people have to say.
RHA demoed them at the show in Germany on iPhones if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #235 of 3,158
CL2 with WA8 at low volume is losing dynamic until 2/10. Man, this IEM is hard to drive! When above 2/10, the bass becomes strong, thick, quick and powerful. Very satisfying. Still not as good as Andromeda but it is very close. I am thinking of buying a DX200 with AM8 so I can drive it when out. This thing is demanding...

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #236 of 3,158
I might be crazy. I ordered the CL2 and I'd joined the drop for MxEE Zeus. I can't wait to see how it compare to m1060 and HE 400i. I also joined the drop earlier for xDuoo X3 II for $90. I hope it's good. Good music just make me happy.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #237 of 3,158
I might be crazy. I ordered the CL2 and I'd joined the drop for MxEE Zeus. I can't wait to see how it compare to m1060 and HE 400i. I also joined the drop earlier for xDuoo X3 II for $90. I hope it's good. Good music just make me happy.
Might be crazy...or just broke, lol. Give yourself some time to appreciate the equipment before buying more. Trust me, I've been down the path too many times myself.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #238 of 3,158
I won’t get the MxEE Zeus until Feb 2019, so I have time. I have the MxMEE Planamic ordered as well that I am giving away to my sister. I curious how they all sound. Right now I am still playing with the Andromeda S and comparing it to SE846.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #239 of 3,158
CL2 with WA8 at low volume is losing dynamic until 2/10. Man, this IEM is hard to drive! When above 2/10, the bass becomes strong, thick, quick and powerful. Very satisfying. Still not as good as Andromeda but it is very close. I am thinking of buying a DX200 with AM8 so I can drive it when out. This thing is demanding...
A lot of people say that the SQ on dx150 is better than the DX200. And 4.4mm zx300 is considered better than both. The SE on ZX300 is worse than the DX150. ( ZX300 and DX150 are really close overall )
For whatever it's worth :)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #240 of 3,158
It's a tricky subject I feel when discussing the best DAP's/Amps and DAC's to use with the CL2 as there are so many variables which could makes one person's winner another's loser.

An example being the Q5, I've been using the CL2 with it the last week and think they are a really good pairing, open sound with plenty of detail. The ZX300 I've had for a couple of days and from the 4.4mm output there is a definite improvement over the Q5, not by a massive amount but an improvement.

I sold my DX200 recently as I wanted more of a basic player with no apps or streaming etc etc. I can use my Iphone/Q5 forthat and it is more fluid than any DAP that I've owned over the last couple of years that try to support Android.
However from a SQ point of view, the ZX300 is probably not quite as good to my ears than the DX200, not by a huge margin though and I'm happy with the small sacrifice to have the more straightforward functions of the ZX300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back