Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Mar 2, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #2,266 of 3,158
I tell the guy to look into the CL2 (especially as it's on sale) or Xelentos because, IMHO, a $2,500 iem isn't automatically better and he goes off and buys a Jomo Trinity for $2,800...doesn't even acknowledge the CL2s as he's clearly looking for >$2k iems.

I love America...
I don't think they understand the meaning of the word "Coherancy".
Every non "Audiophile" that has had a chance to listen to my CL2, has been simply blown away by it.
And the mids spike was not even an issue in over a 100 pages of impressions till the graph priests got a hold of it.
If iems like the trinity are the gold standard going forward, we are all in for a rough ride.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2,267 of 3,158
I don't think they understand the meaning of the word "Coherancy".
Every non "Audiophile" that has had a chance to listen to my CL2, has been simply blown away by it.
And the mids spike was not even an issue in over a 100 pages of impressions till the graph priests got a hold of it.
If iems like the trinity are the gold standard going forward, we are all in for a rough ride.

“graph priests”, that’s good.

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #2,269 of 3,158
So wich are better,these or the Xelento?

In all honesty this will be a difficult question to answer as it depends on firstly being able to hear them side by side and secondly a lot will depend on whether you like a planar sound or not.

I’ve not heard the Xelento however I can safely say that the CL2 is probably the best IEM I’ve heard, but that doesn’t really help you!

Mar 3, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #2,270 of 3,158
In all honesty this will be a difficult question to answer as it depends on firstly being able to hear them side by side and secondly a lot will depend on whether you like a planar sound or not.

I’ve not heard the Xelento however I can safely say that the CL2 is probably the best IEM I’ve heard, but that doesn’t really help you!

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to use them on my daily commute to work from my smartphone(wireless) and at home from my WM1A. I like the planar sound but I got curious with the Xelento almost in the same price bracket.

Mar 3, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #2,271 of 3,158
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to use them on my daily commute to work from my smartphone(wireless) and at home from my WM1A. I like the planar sound but I got curious with the Xelento almost in the same price bracket.

I use them wireless from my smartphone and although not as good as wired they do a reasonable job.
I use the WM1a at home and this is where the CL2 are simply stunning, it’s a combo made for each other, lovely smooth mids with accurate pacy highs and a wonderful detailed textured bass response, best combo I’ve experienced in almost 20 years of this hobby.

Mar 3, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,272 of 3,158
So I finally broke down and bought a cable for my CL2's : https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...up-occ-cryo-silver-copper-headphone-iem-cable
Mainly to use with the 4.4mm jack on my new Hiby R6 Pro.
Completely impressed with the new Hiby btw.
It just totally smokes the old R6 in every way.
I also have the Shozy Pola's coming from Null Audio (eventually/pre-order) since I can't just leave well enough alone.
I used to blow MAD money on watches and finally shook that habit only to fall into all this.....
I'm retiring in a few years and moving to God forsaken Mississippi (wife's family) and I intend to stake claim to a room in the new house for a proper hi-fi set-up.
I may well end up eating canned cat food in my Golden years but I'll be set for music!

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #2,273 of 3,158
So wich are better,these or the Xelento?
I have the AK T8ie mkII (better tuning than the Xelento), and the CL2s are warmer, and have a smoother (less brittle) treble than the AKs - the bass texturing on the CL2 is on a completely different level - they might be in the same price bracket, however - the CL2 walk all over the AKs.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,274 of 3,158
Everyday I wake up, I listen to the CL2 for a good 30 minutes, just gets my day started with a bang. Just an absolute treat.
Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" SACD is just an absolute joy to listen to on this setup.

Bob Marley 24/96 "Exodus" is so satisfying, and hits hard. Sounds like a personal performance from Marley.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,276 of 3,158
CL2 + Hugo 2 + Freya Ridings - it does not get much better than this. As close to being there live in front of her on stage as you will get. Awesome combination.
If you can find "The STOCKFISH DMM" SACD, give it a listen, it sounds incredible on the CL2. Made me almost cry the first time I heard it, music at it's best.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #2,277 of 3,158
CL2 + Hugo 2 + Freya Ridings - it does not get much better than this. As close to being there live in front of her on stage as you will get. Awesome combination.
You owe it to yourself to listen to the same track via the Sony WM1A (balanced) - not saying that it will sound better than the Hugo2, however - it is a damned magical combination nonetheless! :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #2,278 of 3,158
I liked the w1a except that it didnt stream Tidal; I would have kept it otherwise-the battery life was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back