Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,696 of 3,158
Yep, sorry thought they were different types.

Here’s a thing though and it shows how different we all hear things.

I’ve spent the last couple of hours trying the KZ Startips (M & L) and the different sizes of the Tennmak.
To my ears they don’t sound very good, the KZ’s seem to lose all sense of bass response, sound becomes thin and narrow with no presence to the music.
The Tennmak tips don’t fare much better, a little fuller on the sound but still lacking bass compared to other tips, also loses detail in the mids and highs.

The SpinFit CP240 seem to be the tip for me. They really bring out a fullness and depth to the music, bass seems a little fuller and the highs don’t lose detail but don’t seem quite so bright on my ‘problem’ tracks.
That is funny, because those are the spinfits I always try, and they're by far the worst I've tried and are almost always the worst tip I try. They just do not work for me at all.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,697 of 3,158
Yup.

We're you saying that bill Evans was eerily beautiful music?
Voces8 winter. Its great on the CL2
Still downloading the Bill Evan's DSD
Edit: Listening to voces and staring out into the ocean. Doesn't get any better than this.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,698 of 3,158
That is funny, because those are the spinfits I always try, and they're by far the worst I've tried and are almost always the worst tip I try. They just do not work for me at all.

That’s what I mean about the differences we hear. For me they fit my ear perfect, and give a perfect seal. By far the best tip I’ve tried, however on another pair of iem’s in the past, the SpinFit cp100 were the worst things I’d heard.

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,699 of 3,158

I’ve spent the last couple of hours trying the KZ Startips (M & L) and the different sizes of the Tennmak.
The SpinFit CP240 seem to be the tip for me.

Yeah, plus we all have different ears... I have all 3 of those, and I can't get a seal with any of them (in L), lol - not even with the CP240 (unless I insert them so deep they become rather uncomfortable).

We really all are quite different, which makes appreciating/weighing other people's opinions very much not an easy task :) .

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,700 of 3,158

To my ears they don’t sound very good, the KZ’s seem to lose all sense of bass response, sound becomes thin and narrow with no presence to the music.
The Tennmak tips don’t fare much better, a little fuller on the sound but still lacking bass compared to other tips, also loses detail in the mids and highs.

The SpinFit CP240 seem to be the tip for me. They really bring out a fullness and depth to the music, bass seems a little fuller and the highs don’t lose detail but don’t seem quite so bright on my ‘problem’ tracks.[/QUOTE

The SpinFit CP240 seem to be the tip for me. They really bring out a fullness and depth to the music, bass seems a little fuller and the highs don’t lose detail but don’t seem quite so bright on my ‘problem’ tracks.
+1 on the CP240. My ears are also happy with them.

Dec 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,701 of 3,158
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,702 of 3,158
For me the star tips were not so good until I put foam inside them - that is another fun filled element :wink:

They’ve definitely replaced my Spiral Dots...

At the end of the day though - we all have different ear shapes etc which, as has been mentioned - adds another element of randomness as to how we enjoy our IEMs...

I am still at a point where I would rather listen to the CL2 than any full sized headphone, so they are definitely doing something right for me.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,703 of 3,158
For me the star tips were not so good until I put foam inside them - that is another fun filled element :wink:

They’ve definitely replaced my Spiral Dots...

At the end of the day though - we all have different ear shapes etc which, as has been mentioned - adds another element of randomness as to how we enjoy our IEMs...

I am still at a point where I would rather listen to the CL2 than any full sized headphone, so they are definitely doing something right for me.
You still need a copper cable :)
The tonality is so lifelike, I can't imagine listening to music any other way again.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,704 of 3,158
By this point I've just come to accept the CL2 are divisive headphones, and that's okay.

So, I actually had to send my test unit back to RHA, so I hadn't listened to the CL2 for a couple weeks, after which I've been testing a number of other headphones, including the vaunted KSE1200 AKA KSE1500 minus DAC. Was wondering if I'd still like the CL2 after listening to so many different headphones with very different tuning. After getting them back: Yep.

TBH I've been rather disappointed with the Shure's. They're obviously great if I hadn't heard anything premium before, but nothing about their presentation is particularly impressive compared to the CL2 or RE2000. I've heard that they're subtle giants though, so i'll see howhow ears adjust... So far though its been a few days and right now I'd gladly take the CL2's over them, before even considering the practical side of things. Maybe it's the way my ears are tuned and I need brain burn in, but I still find it easier to pick out details with the CL2, even though I can't think of any technical reason why that'd be the case.

And I *do* very much like graphs myself - just got myself some MiniDSP Ears for the purpose.

Conclusion: hearing stuff is weird.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,705 of 3,158
By this point I've just come to accept the CL2 are divisive headphones, and that's okay.

So, I actually had to send my test unit back to RHA, so I hadn't listened to the CL2 for a couple weeks, after which I've been testing a number of other headphones, including the vaunted KSE1200 AKA KSE1500 minus DAC. Was wondering if I'd still like the CL2 after listening to so many different headphones with very different tuning. After getting them back: Yep.

TBH I've been rather disappointed with the Shure's. They're obviously great if I hadn't heard anything premium before, but nothing about their presentation is particularly impressive compared to the CL2 or RE2000. I've heard that they're subtle giants though, so i'll see howhow ears adjust... So far though its been a few days and right now I'd gladly take the CL2's over them, before even considering the practical side of things. Maybe it's the way my ears are tuned and I need brain burn in, but I still find it easier to pick out details with the CL2, even though I can't think of any technical reason why that'd be the case.

And I *do* very much like graphs myself - just got myself some MiniDSP Ears for the purpose.

Conclusion: hearing stuff is weird.
The CL2 are never going to satisfy people that measure it on a graph before sitting down to give it a listen.
According to RHA, they are tuned for clarity and separation, the very same tuning that when reviewers see on a graph, they lose their minds.
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the Shure electrostats. I will maybe give them a listen in the future, but based on how you are hearing them compared to the CL2, I am not in any hurry.
Much appreciated :)

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #1,707 of 3,158
Yeah. I'm not sure why, but it seems like such a foreign concept to some people that our sense of hearing and our listening preferences are as different as our sense of taste, or our sexual preferences, etc.

There are really good scientific reasons for this too. Our sensitivity to different frequencies actually varies quite a bit more than most people would think.

The CL2 is like pumpkin spice. You either love it or hate it.

Dec 7, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,708 of 3,158
The CL2 is like pumpkin spice. You either love it or hate it.

The 1st few hours that I had the CL2, I didn't know what to make of it. I had never heard anything like it, I wanted to return it.
I remember you having a similar reaction, and I think these reviewers are going through something similar.
We powered through those first few hours, or more in some cases.
The rest is history, as they say.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,709 of 3,158
The 1st few hours that I had the CL2, I didn't know what to make of it. I had never heard anything like it, I wanted to return it.
I remember you having a similar reaction, and I think these reviewers are going through something similar.
We powered through those first few hours, or more in some cases.
The rest is history, as they say.
Yeah, but that was just horrid distortion, muddiness, and blech. They seriously sounded like the free earbuds you get with a cheap phone for at least 40 hours.

There is an upper mid spike that apparently some people (who don't know that EQ exists) really hate. It smoothed over for me for a while, but it is still there. These are not the phones I'll ever WANT to listen to empire of the sun on. They burn my ears with these in and I actually have a second EQ setting just for them.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,710 of 3,158
Yeah, but that was just horrid distortion, muddiness, and blech. They seriously sounded like the free earbuds you get with a cheap phone for at least 40 hours.

There is an upper mid spike that apparently some people (who don't know that EQ exists) really hate. It smoothed over for me for a while, but it is still there. These are not the phones I'll ever WANT to listen to empire of the sun on. They burn my ears with these in and I actually have a second EQ setting just for them.
These were never distorted for me. I had no bass out of the box, and they sounded worse than skullcandy earbuds.
That only lasted for a couple of hours.
I was unsure about keeping these up to the 80 hour mark. And these turned into all time greats at the 400 hour point.
That album you mentioned sounds really really bad, can't believe you managed to salvage it with EQ. .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back