Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #1,516 of 3,158
Since we have been talking about players.
On the ZX300 with direct sound option turned off, and all the sound options also turned off, the Sony house sound is activated, and I think it opens up the soundstage a bit on the player.
Might wanna try it out on the upper models, to see if it is your cup of tea.
A nice option to have to fiddle with the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #1,517 of 3,158
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #1,518 of 3,158
Since we have been talking about players.
On the ZX300 with direct sound option turned off, and all the sound options also turned off, the Sony house sound is activated, and I think it opens up the soundstage a bit on the player.
Might wanna try it out on the upper models, to see if it is your cup of tea.
A nice option to have to fiddle with the sound.

So with direct sound unchecked and all sound options off, the sound is different than having direct sound set to on?

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,521 of 3,158
Okay, not sure if I hate everyone or am filled with admiration for making me tweak...

So, I moved from Symbio Dots to Star MandarinES - two points, the foam fits much better than on the Dots, also, like a veil has been lifted - much more treble (not just psychological, I changed one at a time, and the Dot was muted whilst both were in my ears) - a very different experience.

Amazing what a bit of foam can do (considering Star Tips on their own sounded more mid centric)!

Please, no more tip recommendations lol

As an edit, and I probably don't recommend anyone else doing this - with the Star MandarinES tips, on the WM1A, at volume 100, high gain - these jump straight to the top of my charts for EDM / D'n'B (don't judge me!) - off the scale, take me straight back to the rave scene from the early 90s, so much energy and so much fun!

This should NOT be allowed!!

As extra edit - forgot I had a relevant album or two on board - glorious (but again, probably not recommended!)

E7-AC1408-5928-4471-80-D3-01-B16-EC09-BE4.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,522 of 3,158
Okay, not sure if I hate everyone or am filled with admiration for making me tweak...

So, I moved from Symbio Dots to Star MandarinES - two points, the foam fits much better than on the Dots, also, like a veil has been lifted - much more treble (not just psychological, I changed one at a time, and the Dot was muted whilst both were in my ears) - a very different experience.

Amazing what a bit of foam can do (considering Star Tips on their own sounded more mid centric)!

Please, no more tip recommendations lol

As an edit, and I probably don't recommend anyone else doing this - with the Star MandarinES tips, on the WM1A, at volume 100, high gain - these jump straight to the top of my charts for EDM / D'n'B (don't judge me!) - off the scale, take me straight back to the rave scene from the early 90s, so much energy and so much fun!

This should NOT be allowed!!

As extra edit - forgot I had a relevant album or two on board - glorious (but again, probably not recommended!)

E7-AC1408-5928-4471-80-D3-01-B16-EC09-BE4.jpg
Ehhh, may as well round out our tip collections just to have on hand... Even though I feel like tips don't matter much at all for me, and probably already have a couple of kilos worth.... Star Mandarins on the way....

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,523 of 3,158
Maybe some would tell you that on a technical level you are correct, however what you get (if you don't have a Poly) is less cabling, less RFI off of your cellphone (if you connect to that), and most importantly - much better synergy with the CL2 via the Sony gear - something very special about it!

I have a Mojo and a Hugo mkI - so, I'm not being unduly biased.

I would love to do a comparison with the Sony DAP'S to the Mojo. Which one in particular is considered on the same level? I had the origial Questyle DAP when launched which was highly rated, but when that was bypassed & the Mojo plugged in to the same track it was the next level.
I also have the Hugo 2 & that is pretty damn good.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,524 of 3,158
I get my shanling m5s next week. Can't wait to see how that compares to my hiby r6. If I'm not satisfied I may have to sell both for a DX200 or nw-wm1a....

I still just can't wrap my head around owning Sony gear...

Anyone try these with the dx200 and can compare?

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,526 of 3,158
I am reading this thread with some interest as I may be looking to upgrade from my CA LYRA 2 . Would there be a huge step up in sound quality . I can’t audition and have to buy blind. The CL2 appeal as they are planar and I love my full size planar cans.

Anyone made the jump from lyra 2 to the CL2?

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,527 of 3,158
This is better than the Vega, Atlas, Andromeda, don't know about Solaris, I am not a big fan of hybrids and BA's in general ( coherancy) so yes, I think itll be a huge leap.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,528 of 3,158
This is better than the Vega, Atlas, Andromeda, don't know about Solaris, I am not a big fan of hybrids and BA's in general ( coherancy) so yes, I think itll be a huge leap.

Yes I am also considering the vega , andromeda and possibly even the Solaris, but the CL2 appeals as it is at a more reasonable price level . I dont use my IEMs a great deal so I need to justify my expenditure

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #1,529 of 3,158
Yes I am also considering the vega , andromeda and possibly even the Solaris, but the CL2 appeals as it is at a more reasonable price level . I dont use my IEMs a great deal so I need to justify my expenditure

Just as important as sound, I don't think a single CL2 owner has had problems with the very small CL2 shells not fitting comfortable. Can't say the same for the CFA IEMs.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #1,530 of 3,158
I personally think, these are the highest performance for price of all the iems out there. So fits your parameters well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back