Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #1,546 of 3,158
They're the tips that come with KZ IEMs, no idea if they're sold separately.

sku_463637_7.jpg

Seeing how cheap KZ IEMs are, I'd hint that it might be worth picking up a pair of ZSTs from Amazon, just to try the tips out :wink:
Wait, that's their name? I thought you were talking about the symbio mandarins which I ordered.... I have about 10 full sets of kz starlines.... Always add a couple sets into orders from nicehck. Usually run about $1 for a set of 3 pairs....

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,547 of 3,158
Wait, that's their name? I thought you were talking about the symbio mandarins which I ordered.... I have about 10 full sets of kz starlines.... Always add a couple sets into orders from nicehck. Usually run about $1 for a set of 3 pairs....
Haha I got confused too. These are on aliexpress for 79 cents for a triple pack.
See if you can cancel your order :)

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,548 of 3,158
Well that’s me ordered some KZ starlines, spinfits and the tennmark.
See how we got on with that lot!

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,549 of 3,158
Haha I got confused too. These are on aliexpress for 79 cents for a triple pack.
See if you can cancel your order :)
Nah, good to have them on hand.

I was listening fully with the tennmaks this morning and forgot about it. I wasn't liking it this morning and was sort of getting a bit upset. Switched back to the kz starlines and I'm happy again. Can't quite pinpoint it, but they just sound more euphoric with them.

Are you saying you put foam in the stars @Duncan?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,550 of 3,158
It is BOTH...

The core of the Symbio inserted into the Star tips

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,551 of 3,158
I've simultaneously owned wm1a with premium plus k-mod (by Music Sanctuary) and a wm1z with k-mod (by Music Sanctuary).

Wm1z is definitely better and the difference can be noticed fairly easily.

The modded wm1a improves upon the unmodded wm1a. Good extension at both the ends and punches well in the lows.
How much of a difference do you think there is between a WM1A and WM1Z?
Do you think upgrade is worth the 2000 dollars?

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,552 of 3,158
It is BOTH...

The core of the Symbio inserted into the Star tips
Ahhh, I see. I'm going to try it with some of my new bee foams. There is definitely a smoothness with the Stars I was missing this morning...

I need to get some better source files for their music, but the band Tahiti 80 is a good example of the smoothness, even with VBR mp3s I have. Can't wait to try your suggestion later....

Edit: It works, I peeled a pair of small newbees and put them in the large stars. Good fit, might try to cram a medium new bee in there as I think that'd be even better. Sound the same to me, but isolation is better so it seems louder, whichw is never a bad thing for my ears.

Also, upon seeing me do this, I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I've really lost it. I had almost all my tips out on my desk and it was... Let's just say I have no shortage of tips. We should have a contest of who has the collection of tips that weighs the most. I bet id barely hit the top quartile.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,553 of 3,158
For those interested, a pair of large stars with a pair of medium new bee peeled foam looks like this....

1543528116869.jpg

I have no idea why more brands aren't making these hybrid tips. They have obvious benefits. Basically the same sound as the original silicone tip but with increased isolation.... With the increased isolation I'm pulling even more detail out of them.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,554 of 3,158

Practically speaking, not worth $2000 more. Only feature that is different is that WM1z has 128 GB more built in storage which is worth about $50 as long as you are not limited by the current largest micro SD card which is 512 GB. The other $1950 is purely subjective audio quality and personal satisfaction of exclusivity.

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #1,555 of 3,158
Even at the launch price difference of $2000, there's enough difference in sound quality to upgrade. To my ears, WM1A sounds a little lean. Lacks some body. WM1Z has the body and the sound carries certain weight. Most who listen to both will prefer WM1Z if not both.

Now, Brand New In Box WM1Z is available for $2000 (even in classifieds here). And that brings down the difference a lot.

The storage space isn't the only difference. Even the internal wiring and the capacitors and the gold plated copper body are the other differences.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #1,556 of 3,158
Even at the launch price difference of $2000, there's enough difference in sound quality to upgrade. To my ears, WM1A sounds a little lean. Lacks some body. WM1Z has the body and the sound carries certain weight. Most who listen to both will prefer WM1Z if not both.

Now, Brand New In Box WM1Z is available for $2000 (even in classifieds here). And that brings down the difference a lot.

The storage space isn't the only difference. Even the internal wiring and the capacitors and the gold plated copper body are the other differences.
I am looking to buy a quality player, and basically am gonna be done for as long as it lasts. So I am gonna go with the WM1Z.
Thank you for your input.
At $2000, its a no brainer for me.
And provided how long I am going to use it, that money is going to last for a long long time.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #1,557 of 3,158
I am looking to buy a quality player, and basically am gonna be done for as long as it lasts. So I am gonna go with the WM1Z.
Thank you for your input.
At $2000, its a no brainer for me.
And provided how long I am going to use it, that money is going to last for a long long time.

Good luck. And try the different firmwares. 1.2, 2.0 and the latest 3.0. Also, please remember that WM1A and WM1Z under go lots of changes in sound until it hits 400 hrs. At 200 hrs, at 400 hrs and at 500 hrs. After that it is non-stop fun. No other DAP has had that much of a change in sound signature with burn-in. So let it play for 200 hours and check it. Then play it for another 200 hrs and hear the sound again.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,558 of 3,158
For those interested, a pair of large stars with a pair of medium new bee peeled foam looks like this....

I have no idea why more brands aren't making these hybrid tips. They have obvious benefits. Basically the same sound as the original silicone tip but with increased isolation.... With the increased isolation I'm pulling even more detail out of
I know, crazy huh!

Glad that you seem to agree with me. Funny that it is pretty much my cheapest tips that have jumped into first place for SQ

Deliberately ignoring the WM1Z posts, nothing I can do about owning one lol

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #1,559 of 3,158
Just went back to the SPC 4.4mm Alo balanced cable as a quick experiment, immediately noticed the timbre of the drums and guitars.
Drums with the copper cable have a very satisfying snap, and sound like drums in real life. With the SPC cable they sounded muddied, like an approximation of a drum.
Guitars were off in the same way, and did not sound real.

Also ordered the star tips :)
$1.50 shipping included.
Let's see if they beat out the current tennmak champs.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #1,560 of 3,158
Whilst on my way to work, it dawned on me - both literally and metaphorically...

C8-F8-E773-B671-40-FF-A2-D2-6-EFF80776179.jpg

I can sum up the past 100+ pages in a simple sentence...

So long as you have the tenacity to play around to find the right cables and tips, the CL2 pretty much tear up the rule book as to what music on the move should sound like at any price level.

Case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back