Interested in buying the Grado SR60i next month, and have a few questions.
Oct 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 21
 The SR-60s have been called THE BEST headphones in their price range. They are the most common headphones to introduce people to the word of audiophilia. I have to say that I haven't tried the 60, but I've tried the 80, 125, 225, 325 and RS2i, and for most, if not all of those genres, they will perform fantastically.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 21
I could recommend checking out the AKG K240's. I personally like mine for metal, and the sound signature is slightly dark. The bass is average. Nothing insane, but good for Bass guitar IMO.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Chill out on the basshead bashing. Who are you to judge what they should and should not enjoy?
What headphones would one suggest for power metal and progressive metal?

And you, who are you to tell people not to judge?

For someone claiming to have no social life I think you get quite easily offended/irritated by the same things than the ones with an actual social life.

Doing straight judgement and telling raw opinions in public usually result in the kind of reaction you had.

Instead of considering the essence of what Chris_himself meant you only reacted by reflex and shun him for using the words crap and icky. You addressed his speech instead of the meaning of what he said.

I will reformulate what he told you but in a more gentle manner : Sony XB500 is an headphone destined for the bass lovers. It has good bass, relatively to other headphones, but that's pretty much it already. Grado SR-any number, in contrast, wins over the XB500 in terms of sheer sound quality and detail retrieval.

And that's it. After saying "crap" and "icky" he moved on. More so, he never "judge[d] what they[others] should and should not enjoy".

He also went on because we all know how much he likes Grados, but I like them too and I agree that they work well with many more genres than just rock, metal, and strings. I listen to some hectic and frenzied Super Nintendo RPG synthesized music all the time with my Grados and I love it. It sounds lively, fun and "augmented", instead of being just textureless like a more neutral headphone would reveal such music to be.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

And you, who are you to tell people not to judge?

For someone claiming to have no social life I think you get quite easily offended/irritated by the same things than the ones with an actual social life.

Doing straight judgement and telling raw opinions in public usually result in the kind of reaction you had.

Instead of considering the essence of what Chris_himself meant you only reacted by reflex and shun him for using the words crap and icky. You addressed his speech instead of the meaning of what he said.

I will reformulate what he told you but in a more gentle manner : Sony XB500 is an headphone destined for the bass lovers. It has good bass, relatively to other headphones, but that's pretty it already. Grado SR-any model, in contrast, wins over the XB500 in terms of sheer sound quality and detail retrieval.

And that's it. After saying "crap" and "icky" he moved on. More so, he never "judge[d] what they[others] should and should not enjoy".

He also went on because we all know how much he likes Grados, but I like them too and I agree that they work well with many more genres than just rock, metal, and strings. I listen to some hectic and frenzied Super Nintendo RPG synthesized music all the time with my Grados and I love it. It sounds lively, fun and "augmented", instead of being just texture less like a more neutral headphone would reveal such music to be.

Thank you for backing me up, but I'll be grown up and I'll say that I did take it a bit too far in that post, I just really wanted to get my point across, but I did it at the expense of potentially compromising someone else's tastes in music. That wasn't cool and I'm gonna go ahead and say "my bad" on that one.

I play video games with my Grados, practice guitar, etc. A lot of XB500 fans eventually went on to other headphones, and I was really just trying to put it across that where basshead cans are a one-trick horse, soon enough you may outgrow them and seek something else.

Thanks though for backing me up, we're all friends here :)

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 21

Quote:

Thank you for backing me up, but I'll be grown up and I'll say that I did take it a bit too far in that post, I just really wanted to get my point across, but I did it at the expense of potentially compromising someone else's tastes in music. That wasn't cool and I'm gonna go ahead and say "my bad" on that one.

I play video games with my Grados, practice guitar, etc. A lot of XB500 fans eventually went on to other headphones, and I was really just trying to put it across that where basshead cans are a one-trick horse, soon enough you may outgrow them and seek something else.

Thanks though for backing me up, we're all friends here :)

I like that liberty internet gives us to send opinion just by inputting them with a keyboard and pressing enter (i.e. "I don't like this headphone, I think it's bad. I think it's bad for X reason. It's only good at... actually it's not good at all"), without masking or changing words just to make it look more "acceptable in public" ("This headphone is not for me, it's not that it's bad, it's just different. Hey you know what? I have no opinion at all, I'm an onion, and I will respect you no matter what you do or say.").

You can do whatever you please and you don't have to be there when the others are going to reply offended, nor you have to read what replied to you. Of course there is whatever you please and there is getting banned, these are two different things. We're still a community, just slightly less governed, in the interior and on the exterior.

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #21 of 21

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Grados myself, problem is that I've listened to the line from the SR-60i right up to the RS-2I and I can't mak up my mind!
But I will say this: based on my experience (in a couple of stores) with the SR-60i I often wonder if i should get anything better in the Gado line, they sound that good!
Anyway, personally I think the SR-60i is a great headphone for guitar driven Rock.
Very energetic sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back