Intel Price Drops: Let the madness begin
Jul 23, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #91 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason most would recommend the Corsair isn't because we're full of "chit", it's because Enermax have a known higher failure rate.

See: http://www.behardware.com/news/8550/...lure-rate.html

Oh, and the fact that the Corsair's are just rebranded Seasonic's is a good thing...

I will take an Enermax over most Antecs and other brands.

EDIT: Did anyone order a new cpu yet???

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #92 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer threads here always get so heated.

They always do. Everyone has their own opinion and brand loyalty. Blah Blah Blah...

I dare someone to start a Western Digital vs Maxtor vs Seagate thread. The server will melt...
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #93 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They always do. Everyone has their own opinion and brand loyalty. Blah Blah Blah...

I dare someone to start a Western Digital vs Maxtor vs Seagate thread. The server will melt...
tongue.gif

I like the Samsungs personally.
icon10.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #94 of 136
ZipZoomFly has the Q6600 at a cheaper price than Newegg. Under $300 right now.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #95 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

banghead.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #96 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why that is? Maybe b/c there are too many here that think they know something about electronics, but actually don't know their asses from their elbows and instead, rely on reading 2-cent internet "reviews" for all of their decisions?

sheep_tv.jg

Careful, they might know more than you and are just sick of explaining in detail a hundred times over which brand to pick and why.

FWIW I use a modified Zippy/Emacs unit.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #97 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZipZoomFly has the Q6600 at a cheaper price than Newegg. Under $300 right now.

That is seriously good, the UK price of the same CPU have settled at around £170, about $340 US.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #98 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful, they might know more than you and are just sick of explaining in detail a hundred times over which brand to pick and why.

That's entirely possible, but in Scotyyy's case, I doubt it.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
FWIW I use a modified Zippy/Emacs unit.

That was another one I tried (the Emacs GSM-6600P) for my 'big rig' before deciding to keep the I-720. Electrically/spec-wise, the 6600 tested out as well as the Infiniti but was far too noisy with that 8cm. fan than I could bear for a home install. It's def a leaf-blower IMO.

If Zippy could get out of the "server PSU" mindset, they might be able to put out something more amenable to many more PC builders. By that I mean they should leave the smaller, high-speed fans behind and start speccing larger, quieter units. OTOH, from what I've heard, Zippy isn't all that interested in breaking into the enthusiast market in a big way.

What was the mod you did to yours? I'll bet it was the fan...

*EDIT: The one other PSU I tried for this rig, (besides those already mentioned) was the Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850 - another excellent unit electrically like the I-720, Zippy 6600, and Corsair, but with an enormous, non-modular cable bundle attached. The RPP 850 is a better design IMO than its brother the RPP 750 - it has better parts and better real-world benches. Which just goes to show what I've been saying all along: you can't judge a PSU by its cover...by the brand or series alone.

Anyway, the RPP 850 I had (one of the earlier units) had a "cold boot" problem on the 3V rail with sometimes dropping to around 2V and not starting the PC. However, once I got it powered on the bench it measured very well. This was a known glitch and was subsequently remedied by CM.

I didn't have time to wait for an RMA trade-in, so I refunded it as defective. Also, even though I have a roomy CM Stacker 810 case, the long & abundant cabling was more than I wanted to deal with when there are other excellent units such as the modular Infiniti 720. Otherwise, I think the RPP 850 would be an excellent choice for power-hog systems.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #99 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's entirely possible, but in Scotyyy's case, I doubt it.
wink.gif

That was another one I tried (the Emacs GSM-6600P) for my 'big rig' before deciding to keep the I-720. Electrically/spec-wise, the 6600 tested out as well as the Infiniti but was far too noisy with that 8cm. fan than I could bear for a home install. It's def a leaf-blower IMO.

If Zippy could get out of the "server PSU" mindset, they might be able to put out something more amenable to many more PC builders. By that I mean they should leave the smaller, high-speed fans behind and start speccing larger, quieter units. OTOH, from what I've heard, Zippy isn't all that interested in breaking into the enthusiast market in a big way.

What was the mod you did to yours? I'll bet it was the fan...

Bingo. I swapped out the leafblower for 2x 80mm nexxus fans that are inaudible. I also sleeved it and soldered on 2 more pci-e lines while it was open. Nice and easy with a single rail design.

Zippy does have their gaming series which is a start in the right direction, but good luck getting one stateside. They could learn something from Etasis on that front.

Jul 23, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #100 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bingo. I swapped out the leafblower for 2x 80mm nexxus fans that are inaudible. I also sleeved it and soldered on 2 more pci-e lines while it was open. Nice and easy with a single rail design.

Noice!
cool.gif
Smoke 'em if you got 'em, I always say!

I made a similar mod to my TrippLite SU1000XLa UPS. They OEM'ed a high-speed Delta 8cm. in it - man was that thing a howler! So I soldered in a 8cm. Panaflo HydroWave med. RPM and voila! Moves plenty wind and you can barely hear it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro
Zippy does have their gaming series which is a start in the right direction, but good luck getting one stateside. They could learn something from Etasis on that front.

Exactly. Well I had a helluva time finding that 6600, and it turned out there was only one place I found in N. America that sold them. Don't ask me who b/c I didn't bookmark it, but they were just a small, obscure outfit and the price was not discounted.

I wanted to get my grubby paws on an Etasis for a test thrashing, but alas there's only so much ya can do.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #102 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see the multicore as faster yet, but the ability to do more at once. could be good if you do a lot of video editing.

Well, that's not quite accurate. A lot of the multicore processors use more advanced architectures. A Core 2 Duo isn't faster than a Pentium 4 because of the second core, it's because its Conroe architecture is just so darn efficient that it does a lot more work per clock cycle.

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #103 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats all well and good, but creating a monopoly in the consumer processor market will only hurt us. Look what competition did to Intels R&D devision. They woke up, and started kicking AMDs ass after a few years on the back burner. I really hope AMD can remain competitive so Intel doesn't end up controlling a huge portion of the market. Seeing AMD disappear kinda like VIA did isn't a good thing whatsoever.

Oh, I agree, but money will go to the best product. If it is a tie, or negligible, I'll go with AMD. But right now, it is Intel, hands down for the stuff I like.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #104 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Intels scale really well. Seems like the E6750 is a pretty good overclocker too: http://www.hothardware.com/articles/...review/?page=2

Basically went from 2.6Ghz up to 3.92Ghz. Not bad for a $183 processor.

i heard that overclocking actually decrease the lifespan of the processor overtime i wonder if that is true?

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #105 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard that overclocking actually decrease the lifespan of the processor overtime i wonder if that is true?

If you keep the temps down to reasonable levels, a proc theoretically can last indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back