Jul 22, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #61 of 136
Wait for AMD Phenom.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #62 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait for AMD Phenom.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish AMD had a comparable chip out. I still feel bad giving my money to Intel but as long as they have the fastest chip I will have one.

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #63 of 136
As a long time AMDer, I was sort of pissed when they ditched socket 939. I thought I can get quite long life out of my Lan party NF4 Ultra board, but that appreantly is not the case. As they are not able to introduce a CPU that could beat intel at this point, I think I would take a side trip to intel at my next upgrade, which I think will be take place at this fall.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #64 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait for AMD Phenom.
smily_headphones1.gif

By waiting for the next gen processor, you're never going to buy/upgrade your PC. The best thing to do is to buy the best you can afford now and just use it to death.

With PC hardware, whatever you buy, you'll know it's going to be 'out of date' in a very short period of time, so there's no point waiting....

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #65 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By waiting for the next gen processor, you're never going to buy/upgrade your PC. The best thing to do is to buy the best you can afford now and just use it to death.

With PC hardware, whatever you buy, you'll know it's going to be 'out of date' in a very short period of time, so there's no point waiting....

I agree. The only time you should wait is if there is a concrete release date in the near future.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #66 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey wanderman,
I'm hoping to start buying the components around the 7-8th August and build it in time for my birthday (11th August). So, I will be sticking with the 65nm chips for just now.

What does the Consair HX 620W PSU offer over the Enermax Infiniti 650W, they both seem to get good reviews (overclockers.co.uk). Better bang for the buck?

So, would the Asus P5K Deluxe Motherboard be a better alternative to the nForce 680i Motherboard, and why?

What type of RAM would that be? The one I stated has a voltage rating between 1.9V - 2V. So, what would you recommend for a system like this?

Thank you,
Possédé

The corsair is a quieter, cheaper, and provides more then enough power for what you are running. The asus is a better board because it will support the 45nm in the future if you upgrade. They overclock alot better. They don't have any data corruption problems in sata. They don't have booting problems with 4 dimms.

For ram look at ddr2 6400 that runs at 1.8 volts. The 1.9-2.0 is usually marked up 5300 or 5400 stuff. PC28500 stuff at 1.9-2.0 is good too.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #67 of 136
I was just checking out the Scan site to see what the motherboard looks like and notice this on the motherboard page - 'Please note: When purchasing this product with a Graphics card from our 8800GTX/Ultra or HD2900XT range, you may experience difficulties during installation. Our Technical staff have advised that the total no. of Sata ports may not be accessible on the motherboard when installed with any of these graphics cards'.

So be aware if you're thinking of buying one of the above cards
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #68 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The corsair is a quieter, cheaper, and provides more then enough power for what you are running. The asus is a better board because it will support the 45nm in the future if you upgrade. They overclock alot better. They don't have any data corruption problems in sata. They don't have booting problems with 4 dimms.

For ram look at ddr2 6400 that runs at 1.8 volts. The 1.9-2.0 is usually marked up 5300 or 5400 stuff. PC28500 stuff at 1.9-2.0 is good too.

I think I'll stick with the Enermax PSU, because it just looks like an overall better PSU (looks classy), and only £30 more than the Consair. I had another look at reviews of the ASUS P5K Deluxe, and it highlighted problems concerning fitting 8800 GTX cards in and them covering SATA ports (Reference: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8764&page=4). The board doesn't support SLI, and I won't be using Crossfire's. I doubt I will be upgrading the processor within 6 months anyway, and I'm pretty sure a Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz is more than enough for web browsing and the ocassional game. Looking at the Gigabyte N680SLI-DQ6, that is review'd to be quite good. I did find some DDR2 (2x1Gb) PC2 6400 memory running at 1.9V made by Consair.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 22, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #69 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just checking out the Scan site to see what the motherboard looks like and notice this on the motherboard page - 'Please note: When purchasing this product with a Graphics card from our 8800GTX/Ultra or HD2900XT range, you may experience difficulties during installation. Our Technical staff have advised that the total no. of Sata ports may not be accessible on the motherboard when installed with any of these graphics cards'.

So be aware if you're thinking of buying one of the above cards
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the reply box window sitting whilst I looked over reviews of the components and wrote my response, and it looks like the 680i Motherboard is a better option in my case. Anyway, it's getting late and I'm beginning to become bored of all this reading reviews (Been doing so for the last 4-5 hours).

Possédé

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #70 of 136
Quote:

I had the reply box window sitting whilst I looked over reviews of the components and wrote my response, and it looks like the 680i Motherboard is a better option in my case. Anyway, it's getting late and I'm beginning to become bored of all this reading reviews (Been doing so for the last 4-5 hours).

Possédé

I've had nearly every motherboard out there including several 680i variants and the p5k deluxe. I also have a 8800gtx. TRUST ME, get the p5k. 100x more stable, overclocks better, better future compatibility, and you CAN use all of the sata ports, you just need right angle cables for two of them (which the motherboard comes with anyway). I am using all of my sata ports right now with a 8800gtx in my system.

You will be making a mistake if you don't get the p5k deluxe. Also, get the Corsair PSU. It's better than the enermax in terms of build quality and power delivery. Go to www.hardforums.com and www.xtremesystems.org/forums for good information.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #71 of 136
Quote:

I think I'll stick with the Enermax PSU, because it just looks like an overall better PSU (looks classy), and only £30 more than the Consair. I had another look at reviews of the ASUS P5K Deluxe, and it highlighted problems concerning fitting 8800 GTX cards in and them covering SATA ports (Reference: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8764&page=4). The board doesn't support SLI, and I won't be using Crossfire's. I doubt I will be upgrading the processor within 6 months anyway, and I'm pretty sure a Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz is more than enough for web browsing and the ocassional game. Looking at the Gigabyte N680SLI-DQ6, that is review'd to be quite good. I did find some DDR2 (2x1Gb) PC2 6400 memory running at 1.9V made by Consair.

Thanks for your input.

The Corsair is the more efficient, well made, quieter and cheaper PSU. Don't get the Enermax...

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #72 of 136
I currently use a Corsair HX520 and it is a very good PS. I also have a 5 year old Enermax that is still going strong. I went with the Corsair since it was very good for my application.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #74 of 136
Would a dual graphics card be a benefit to all games and photoshop? Or are there only specially programmed games and software that can even tap into the potential gains that a dual card setup has to offer?

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #75 of 136
I think some of you guys are full of chit. I have an Enermax Infiniti 720 and Corsair HX520. Corsair's are just re-branded Seasonic's with a few different parts, but they're good units. I'd recommend them. The Enermax is also doing a great job in a max o/c'ed E6600/HD2900XT rig.

Some clowns gripe about burning up PSU's, but don't have brains enough to know that they have to keep them cool over time and feed them a decent AC supply. Also, there is a big difference between a mfg's top line PSU's and their budget models. There are many other factors. DUH. So you can't simply say, "I owned a Brand ___ PSU and it blew up. Don't buy them they're junk."
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

The Infiniti 720 is an excellent PSU, but I'm not sure how it differs internally from the Infiniti 650. They may be much different from each other than just the rated power output. Do your research.

I do know the I-720 has very good parts, a good design, runs cool, is as clean and stable as anything on the market, and has lots of actually useful features. I highly recommend it if you need more power than the Corsair's can provide.

As far as [H]OCP, check out this review they gave the I-720: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?...hlbnRodXNpYXN0

What, me worry?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back