Intel Price Drops: Let the madness begin
Jul 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Q66 on order, it should arrive sometime on Tues
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm using it with a 640 MB 8800 GTS OC to 580, I'm hoping to hit around 3 gig with the quad
biggrin.gif

I don't know about the quad but i know the dual core 6600 can hit over 3ghz on stock cooling.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #33 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the quad but i know the dual core 6600 can hit over 3ghz on stock cooling.

Nearly all Core 2 Duo's hit 3GHz on stock cooling.

My E6320 (stock 1.86GHz) is running at 3.1GHz with stock volts and cooling. Really good processors they are.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #34 of 136
Quadcore is useless if you only have one hard drive and are doing multiple tasks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 16.7 MP digital camera and process RAW files constantly, so Dual core rocks for me. I also shoot HD video (though not as much), and rendering HD video is a PC crusher without at least dual core.

With quad-core I could do both AND continue to do other stuff. Seriously - each process can take hours, even on my Dual Athlon 64 X2 4200+ w/2G RAM. When I'm writing, I need to be able to do other stuff in the background. The more the better too.

GAD

GAD

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #35 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkestred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quadcore is useless if you only have one hard drive and are doing multiple tasks.

I have 8 HDs in my machine. Core, Data, Video, Audio, Photos etc. I have a drive just for photoshop swap space. I have over 1TB (some of it mirrored), and I need more. I have a 12x250G SATA-SCSI storage array in my garage (in addition to the PC).

I'm one of those rare people that actually not only uses my PC, but pushes it without playing games. I have, on occasion, played games such as half-life, but it's a rarity.

GAD

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #37 of 136
I have powered HD coolers for two of the drives that report the temp on the front. I use Antec cases and power supplies, but this case has a Thermaltake 750W PS.

I also have a 19" telecom rack in my garage with 9 routers, 5 switches and a few Sun servers in it if you'd like to talk overkill.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #39 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have powered HD coolers for two of the drives that report the temp on the front. I use Antec cases and power supplies, but this case has a Thermaltake 750W PS.

I also have a 19" telecom rack in my garage with 9 routers, 5 switches and a few Sun servers in it if you'd like to talk overkill.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

GAD, I've seen computer rooms with less kit than you have. Overkill indeed ... but who wouldn't if they could (somehow) justify it.

"9 routers, 5 switches and a few Sun servers"
They must be for playing with, or do you run an ISP from home?

Jul 22, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #40 of 136
The rack is for:

CCIE Study
Book research
Work (It's my lab)

I used to work at an ISP as the Manager of Engineering which is where I got started with serious networking.

GAD

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #41 of 136
My 3 year old pc is still serving me well as a ... artistic movie player/downloader. Upgrade will give me the power to run those at HD.
tongue.gif

But, GAD, what do you do with your super mega ultra monster PC?
Running homebased data backup service or.... are you hosting the sort of data that I had in my HDD?

Jul 22, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #42 of 136
I have an HD camcorder. Rendering HD video is very taxing. Developing 16.7 MP RAW photos is taxing too. Ripping CDs is no slouch either.

Writing doesn't need horsepower, but it consumes some disk space after revisions, illustrations and such. This is my main machine though, and when I'm writing, I need the machine to be able to multitask well or it impacts my writing, which is unacceptable.

The #1 consumer of disk space for me is photography. These days I burn about 300G/year on photography alone. I have archives going back many years. I also have scans/videos/music. I used to shoot slides. I have a slide scanner, and those scans are not small.

I'm anal about backups (been burned). I have a drive with nothing but acronis images on it. Some of my drives are mirrored.

GAD

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #43 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am photoshopping just fine with c2duo. I'm not that industrious I need a quad to process my PS.

Coming from an A64 3200+, my current E6420@3.2GHz is just mindblowingly fast, and I certainly don't need any more speed for Photoshop right now. Considering that my current cam's RAW files are 18MB, I don't see much need for more speed any time soon, either. Dual-core in general is such a godsend, i.e. being able to encode WAV to FLAC and to MP3 simultaneously!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #44 of 136
Is there something special about the new Intel C2D chips that allow them to be overclocked with such ease? I haven't followed hardware and computers for a while now, but I can't remember about people overclocking so easily and so prevelantly.

Anyways, I'll be building a top notch system before Christmas. Something that can do Photoshop, HD video, high end gaming, a little of everything. I am in no hurry, so I'll be waiting for prices to drop even more, but all this overclocking certainly has grabbed my attention. If I can get a $200 chip to perform better than a $1000 chip with little effort and no risk, I would be very happy with that.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #45 of 136
I picked up a p35 mobo and a q6600. Just need a 3ghz oc and I will be happy. With the mobo I will be able to upgrade when the new 45 nm appear and when ddr3 is no bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nearly all Core 2 Duo's hit 3GHz on stock cooling.

My E6320 (stock 1.86GHz) is running at 3.1GHz with stock volts and cooling. Really good processors they are.

the q6600 are supposed to be a pita to oc because they get so hot.

edit: oh snap...new egg is still selling the old b3 steppings, I wonder if it is too late to cancel my order. I want g0

edit2: hmm I think I may just get the e6850 and oc to 4ghz and wait for the 45nm's

edit3: but the quad will be better for folding. Bah.

edit4: looks like I am going to wait. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8074 . gg intel amd is getting stomped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back