Intel Price Drops: Let the madness begin
Jul 21, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 136
For the overclockers in here: Some people are getting the E6750s to 3.6Ghz from the stock 2.6Ghz. Pretty impressive for what will be a $183 cpu.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 4 year old computer using a 2.6 Ghz Pentiun 4 chip. Just about anything would be an upgrade!
evil_smiley.gif

Do you find that you need anything more than that though for most stuff? Don't let the big cats know about this, but I've been more than satisfied with computers for my normal, home stuff for years! They're not annoyingly slow anymore!

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #18 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a consumer, and I use photoshop
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am photoshopping just fine with c2duo. I'm not that industrious I need a quad to process my PS.

You're not going to see a lot of benefit with the extra cores in Photoshop. With Photoshop, it's all about the RAM. And RAM is butt cheap these days. My next system will be Vista 64 based with 8GB of RAM. Maybe 16GB, depending on module prices and availability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see the multicore as faster yet, but the ability to do more at once. could be good if you do a lot of video editing.

Yeah, I noticed my 1.6GHz Core Duo is slightly faster than my 2.1GHz Pentium M with rendering scenes in Sony Vegas. But add in a lot of filters and FX, and that gap is narrowed significantly.

-Ed

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find that you need anything more than that though for most stuff? Don't let the big cats know about this, but I've been more than satisfied with computers for my normal, home stuff for years! They're not annoyingly slow anymore!

The only time I can see that it would make a difference is when I am transfering and modifying photos out of my 7.1 mp camera. Also when manipulating music files from lossless to MP3 format.

But to be honest I do not need anything else for 90% of my use. Now, if I was still using AutoCad then that would be a different story.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #20 of 136
just ordered e6600 a week ago. saving grace I am at 3.5Ghz only 1.37v. I mainly encode flac and PS, which quad core is no good at doing.

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the overclockers in here: Some people are getting the E6750s to 3.6Ghz from the stock 2.6Ghz. Pretty impressive for what will be a $183 cpu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just ordered e6600 a week ago. saving grace I am at 3.5Ghz only 1.37v. I mainly encode flac and PS, which quad core is no good at doing.

My roommate has his e6600 overclocked to 3.1ghz on STOCK COOLING and it is rock solid. I will have a quad core in the near future.

Should give me a nice 1700ppd in folding@home
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My roommate has his e6600 overclocked to 3.1ghz on STOCK COOLING and it is rock solid. I will have a quad core in the near future.

Should give me a nice 1700ppd in folding@home
smily_headphones1.gif

The Intels scale really well. Seems like the E6750 is a pretty good overclocker too: http://www.hothardware.com/articles/...review/?page=2

Basically went from 2.6Ghz up to 3.92Ghz. Not bad for a $183 processor.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #23 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I can see that it would make a difference is when I am transfering and modifying photos out of my 7.1 mp camera. Also when manipulating music files from lossless to MP3 format.

But to be honest I do not need anything else for 90% of my use. Now, if I was still using AutoCad then that would be a different story.
wink.gif

I did make the switch from PowerPC to Intel for a variety of reasons, but I suspect that this MacBook (home rig, if you will) will survive several years of use. Who needs anything more than 2.0 GHz C2D + 2 GB RAM? Maybe I should get AppleCare ...

Did I just type all that? And for what ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow, the processor speeds are great for encoding, etc. But I hit a point when a few minutes per album was not only acceptable, but vanished into the speedy. Then again, just 10 short years ago, I was encoding mp3s at 56 kbps using a 3x CD-ROM drive onto an old Compaq Presario (83 MHz overclocked, baby) in a mere 30 minutes per 3 minute track. Oh yeah.

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 136
I am still chugging along fine with my 3 GHz Pentium IV. I don't game or use CPU intensive programs, so I really can't really justify an upgrade. Head-Fi still loads the same
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Intels scale really well. Seems like the E6750 is a pretty good overclocker too: http://www.hothardware.com/articles/...review/?page=2

Basically went from 2.6Ghz up to 3.92Ghz. Not bad for a $183 processor.

Quote:

This time around, however, our results were nothing short of spectacular. By bumping the processor's core voltage to 1.45v and increasing the front side bus speed via our Asus P5K Deluxe motherboard's BIOS, we were able to take the Core 2 Duo E6750 up from its default clock speed of 2.6GHz to an impressive 3.92GHz (multiplier=8x / Front Side Bus Frequency=490MHz. This was done using the[size=medium] stock Intel CPU cooler[/size] on an open-air test bench. At that speed, the CPU completed a Cinebench rendering pass in just 18 seconds and it blew past the Core 2 Extreme X6800 in SANDRA's Processor Arithmetic benchmark.

just imagine these things with a water cooling or phase change system, they should be able to hit the 5ghz mark.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 136
Quote:

just imagine these things with a water cooling or phase change system, they should be able to hit the 5ghz mark.

Yeah on air that is sick. I may just go cheap and try my luck with the E6750. Then go quad when the Penryns come out. 12MB cache goodness.

Do I know you dude? your tag sounds familiar.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #28 of 136
Quote:

I also frequent amdforums.com also called PCperspective

I also play a few games online. Savage Battle For Newerth, Counter Strike Source, Last Chaos.

There are a few more places but these are the most common.

I thought I knew you from genmay. Maybe it is someone else then/

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Q66 on order, it should arrive sometime on Tues
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm using it with a 640 MB 8800 GTS OC to 580, I'm hoping to hit around 3 gig with the quad
biggrin.gif

You should reach that mark. Just make sure your cooling is up to the task. At stock speeds it runs pretty cool but ramp it up and it puts out some heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back