Intel Price Drops: Let the madness begin
Jul 24, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #106 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waiting for UT3 demo
wink.gif

+1. Seems like forever since UT2k4 came out.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #107 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you keep the temps down to reasonable levels, a proc theoretically can last indefinitely.

Well, pretty close to indefinitely but not quite due to electro-migration. But that takes forever to happen unless you REALLY crank the volts. #1 priority is to keep voltage low, then keep temps low. If you do both of those your chip will outlast it's useable lifespan.

But for those worrying about overclocking reducing lifespan, chips are more durable than you'd think. I've had chips survive the IHS popping off at -65C due to the adhesive becoming brittle due to the cold.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #109 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add to that most enthusiasts that overclock upgrade their chips more frequently than the average user, and the "shortened" lifespan issue is really a non-issue.

you win the Oreo.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #110 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, pretty close to indefinitely but not quite due to electro-migration. But that takes forever to happen unless you REALLY crank the volts. #1 priority is to keep voltage low, then keep temps low. If you do both of those your chip will outlast it's useable lifespan.

But for those worrying about overclocking reducing lifespan, chips are more durable than you'd think. I've had chips survive the IHS popping off at -65C due to the adhesive becoming brittle due to the cold.

Plus a proc will throttle down if it reaches it's Tj. I remeber when the earlier Athlons could not do that and they would burn up once the HSF was removed.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #112 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZipZoomFly has the Q6600 at a cheaper price than Newegg. Under $300 right now.

are they the newer stepping. I heard peoples are getting the old more powering stepping when they ordered from the egg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard that overclocking actually decrease the lifespan of the processor overtime i wonder if that is true?

high voltages are probably the biggest killer of processors.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #113 of 136
Quote:

i heard that overclocking actually decrease the lifespan of the processor overtime i wonder if that is true?

Yes, but people who overclock, upgrade their equipment so fast that it isn't even an issue.
wink.gif
The slow Intel Core 2 Duos haven't even been out for a year and people are already upgrading to quad core
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #114 of 136
I am starting to think my move to buy the E6600 and later upgrade to 45nm Quad may be a mistake....I mean i can get Q6600 now for only $300! ..

did I make a mistake? should I return the E6600 and just get the quad NOW?

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #115 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am starting to think my move to buy the E6600 and later upgrade to 45nm Quad may be a mistake....I mean i can get Q6600 now for only $300! ..

did I make a mistake? should I return the E6600 and just get the quad NOW?

Do you have the E6600 installed yet? If so, is it doing the job for your particular requirements?
If it is then I would suggest holding on to it and saving towards a Penryn if your motherboard will support it.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #116 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they the newer stepping. I heard peoples are getting the old more powering stepping when they ordered from the egg.

It does not say the stepping version at ZZF. Might want to check out the [H] to see what people will be getting.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #117 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you keep the temps down to reasonable levels, a proc theoretically can last indefinitely.

no high volts kills and it doesn't matter the temp because high Vcore or Vgate is responsible for the switching capability of the silicon. But at high Vc the electric field around the gate oxide is increased IIRC by the same ratio. at 65nm process, the gate oxide is very very thin (although it think Intel did something to the gate oxide that made it more resistant to breaking down) and with a super strong electric field caused by the Vg, the gate oxide will break down, and the rate of the breakdown IIRC is linear in the log scale to the Vg (i.e. exponential).

Once your gate oxide breaks down that switch is toast. But what can 1 bad transistor do to you? maybe not much but maybe all that crashing you experience in windows, which you thought was bad MS/or whatever program's fault is actually caused by bad transistors inside the CPU
wink.gif

It's been a long time since I last touched these things. I use to work for a certain big chip maker doing VLSI work on gate design for die shrinks. In case you are thinking I am just pulling this crap out of my ....

I never go above the maximum Vcore set by Intel and I don't think you should either.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #118 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have the E6600 installed yet? If so, is it doing the job for your particular requirements?
If it is then I would suggest holding on to it and saving towards a Penryn if your motherboard will support it.

heh..I only encode from ape/wav to flac these days..and pretty much anything I can buy will do that just fine. But its the urge to have MORE...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #119 of 136
yesterday the Q6600 was $299 at newegg...this morning its $375... what happened?

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #120 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh..I only encode from ape/wav to flac these days..and pretty much anything I can buy will do that just fine. But its the urge to have MORE...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know that urge well. Wait though, Penryn should be killer IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back