InEarZ (Fisher Hearing) Custom Remold Owner's Thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #3,095 of 3,191
Has anyone remolded W40 IEMs? Looking to do so. Wanting to hear some thoughts.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,096 of 3,191

I think it was Twister6 who did a remold of a westone pro 50 if that's any help?  Do a search for his reviews, does a comparison between universal and custom.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3,099 of 3,191
  Hi! What i need do with my order in inearz? Inearz can't ship me my completed order to Russia two months...

Fedex returned your package and refuses to send to Russia. So I ended up sending it USPS. Overall total cost for shipping this package was $254 on our end as Fedex charged us for the return shipment. And USPS priority was over $60. 

I'm so sorry about the delay with shipping but you will have your iems soon. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #3,100 of 3,191

I just had some reshells done- TripleFi10 and Westone 4. I'll start with the W4.

From my personal experience and from what I've read, sonically the W4 is very much like the W40 if not the same. Whatever your thoughts are on that, the effects of the reshell should be applicable to either. Cosmetically, Inearz did a good job. There are maybe a few small bubbles or specks in the shells, but nothing that would remotely affect the durability or sound. The outside of the shells are gem-like smooth. I have similar if not worse 'artifacts' on my UERMs- it's just a fact of life. I'm actually impressed by the craftsmanship of the Inearz. With regards to fit, as a side note I had the W4s made within about a month of the TripleFis from the same impressions- you get them back each time. Both reshells fit wonderfully with no refits necessary.

Westone 4

As for the sound, let me first say that except for the W60 and W80, I find the universal Westones almost unlistenable with the stock silicon tips- both the older opaque gray ones and the newer 'Star Tips'.  For me they sound way too muffled and rolled-off with these tips; and this is on top of their already warm house sound. So on both of my Westones (W4 and Pro30) I only use Shure Olives. With these I get a good amount of sparkle and reasonable amount of upper midrange/ lower treble. With that said, I find the reshell of the W4 to be tonally somewhere between the silicon tips and the Olives. I'm only relying on my own auditory memory which I have little faith in. But if I had to rank the sound quantity above ~2khz, with the silicon tips at '0' and the Olives at '10', I'd say the reshells are at about '7'. So if you use the silicon tips, I would guess that the reshells will be a bit brighter. But even being brighter they will never be sibilant or harsh- ever. The low frequencies, comparing to the Olive-tipped universal, are very similar with the reshell being a bit cleaner and maybe extending a bit further down. It's a difference in refinement; so if you think the W4/40 is bass light and were hoping this would change that, look elsewhere.

In summary, the sound is a bit warmer (vs. w/Shure Olive tips) but definitely still a W4. Despite already having a good fit in universal form, the convenience of not having to deal with tips and the ability to customize your reshells made this an easy choice for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the TripleFi, this was always something I've wanted to do. And having a few pairs of these, I had no hesitation in doing this to at least one of them. As with the W4, the craftsmanship on this reshell is first-rate. The dual-bores are clean and symmetrical. (Note that the W4s are single-bore like all Westone universals; and thus the custom reshells are also single-bore as they should be.) Although notorious for their poor fit in universal form, I manage to get a decent fit on the UEs with the stock silicon 'M' tips; and a slightly better fit when worn reverse style, swapping the L and R ear pieces. Of course with the reshells as mentioned earlier, fit with these is great.

UE TripleFi10

With regards to sound, as with the W4 (w/Shure Olive tips), the highs take a bit of a hit on the reshells here. Some who think the UEs have a bit too much of a vee sound might enjoy this. For me, the change takes away a bit of the fun sound that the universals have. But in exchange the reshells give you something a bit more 'mature' sounding and better for long-term (2-3 hours) listening. As with the W4 reshell, the TripleFi's bass seems to be a tiny bit cleaner here.

The other thing that the TripleFi is known for is sensitivity to high output impedances. The highs usually get muffled the further away from 0Ω you go. I can easily hear this by comparing the sound out of my Leckerton UHA-6Sii (<0.5Ω) to that out of my Samsung S7 (~5.6Ω). So to illustrate the difference between the universal and reshell, I would say that the sound of the reshelled TripleFi out of the Leckerton is similar to that of the universal TF out of the S7. It's not insignificant. In fact if you like the sound of the TripleFi as it is (and you use the silicon tips), I would be hesitant to recommend reshelling them. But if you think the TFs sound a bit hot at times and/or you use foam tips and like the sound of that, then I would guess you'll probably like the sound of the reshell. To be clear, I am merely using the OI comparison to illustrate the difference in sound between the universal and reshell- something you might be able to do or relate to. I suspect the actual difference in sound comes from the length, curvature, and perhaps positioning of the tubes. As far as I know, these reshells simply carry everything over from the universals unchanged including their filters.

So like the W4 reshell, when you do this there is a good chance that the sound will change depending on the tips you currently use. Also like the W4, despite that change, it still sounds like a TripleFi- just a bit more relaxed and perhaps disciplined. If you're okay with that, the rest (fit, craftsmanship, personalization, $value, etc.) makes this an easy decision as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the overall Inearz experience, I thought it was fantastic. I submitted my order via email and sent in my impressions. Kaysen was always responsive to my questions. The wait time was what I was told and therefore expected- about 4-5 weeks. For the level of quality, service, options, and pricing, I can easily recommend Inearz for reshells. I'm probably going to order some of their in-house customs since they really seem to have my fit nailed, and they somehow manage to keep their pricing down to earth-levels despite what many of the other custom IEM manufacturers are doing.

Also, if you live in the SF bay area and are looking for a place that does impressions, I can recommend California Hearing Center in San Mateo. Lais Ama was the person who did my impressions and she really seemed like she knew what she was doing. They currently charge $75, which isn't cheap. But it's probably better to get it done right the first time, as sending in poor impressions to any CIEM manufacturer can make this whole affair a painful one in more ways than one.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #3,101 of 3,191

...universal Westones almost unlistenable with the stock silicon tips- both the older opaque gray ones and the newer 'Star Tips'.  For me they sound way too muffled and rolled-off with these tips; and this is on top of their already warm house sound. So on both of my Westones (W4 and Pro30) I only use Shure Olives. With these I get a good amount of sparkle and reasonable amount of upper midrange/ lower treble. With that said, I find the reshell of the W4 to be tonally somewhere between the silicon tips and the Olives. I'm only relying on my own auditory memory which I have little faith in. But if I had to rank the sound quantity above ~2khz, with the silicon tips at '0' and the Olives at '10', I'd say the reshells are at about '7'.

So I have recently gotten the chance to listen to the Shure Olives. These, right?

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-pa910-5-pair-olive-eartips-for-shure-westone-klipsch-and-etymotic.html

I tried removing the ear wax guard and without. Out of an iPhone 6S, I NEED to enable the treble booster EQ setting to get any sparkle out of them. But that tends to put a bit much high end and also messes with the sound.

My last attempt with these things was going to be a reshell, or possibly the JVC spiral dots or spin fits.

But I'm thinking maybe I should just give up.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #3,102 of 3,191
Quote:
So I have recently gotten the chance to listen to the Shure Olives. These, right?

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-pa910-5-pair-olive-eartips-for-shure-westone-klipsch-and-etymotic.html

These are the Olives I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PN3W6  They look similar with the exception of the wax guard. So I would imagine they would have the same effect (minus the wax guard), assuming all other things being equal. What might not be equal is what the tips do once they’re inserted into your ears. Perhaps in your case despite the wider opening of the Shure tips they are still being pinched and muffling the sound. Do your Shure Olive tips make any difference at all when compared to the Westone tips?

I also have the SpinFits. Oddly I don’t really remember trying them on the W4s. But I went back to see how they affect the Pro30s and they do give you quite a bit more lower treble versus the stock silicons. For me they sound very close to the Olives- maybe even better. Do note again that the gains in treble from the reshell are not as drastic. So even if you got the SpinFits and liked them, don’t count on getting the same results with the reshell. The treble booster EQ (preset) on the iPhone is way more boost (and across a greater area) than what I’m experiencing here with these tips.

One interesting thing to note is the drivers on the reshell have a straight shot to the nozzle instead of the ~70 degree bend that the stock Westones have. The bore on the reshell looks to be about the same diameter as the stock nozzle.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #3,103 of 3,191
I currently have the shure425 of two drivers I like their media and high but lack a lot of low definition, I'm thinking of upgrading to ciems and eh thought of two brands, Clear Tune Monitors (the ct-300 in particular) and the brand Inearz (The p450) they both promise clear and definited bass and walk in the same price range. If someone could give me their opinion would serve me a lot

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #3,104 of 3,191
I'm feeling a bit silly for having to ask this but, how do I order a replacement cable from the website? There doesn't appear to be any way to add it to the cart. I created a login thinking that must be why but it didn't work. I can look at the details but that's it. Am I missing something obvious?

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #3,105 of 3,191
Do your Shure Olive tips make any difference at all when compared to the Westone tips?

I also have the SpinFits. Oddly I don’t really remember trying them on the W4s. But I went back to see how they affect the Pro30s and they do give you quite a bit more lower treble versus the stock silicons. For me they sound very close to the Olives- maybe even better. Do note again that the gains in treble from the reshell are not as drastic. So even if you got the SpinFits and liked them, don’t count on getting the same results with the reshell. The treble booster EQ (preset) on the iPhone is way more boost (and across a greater area) than what I’m experiencing here with these tips..

I would say vey little difference between any of the tips. TRUE fit vs STAR vs Shure olive with and without the ear wax guard all have far too much bass and far too little treble.

Instead of more tips or a reshell, I think it's time to give up on these and just send them off to someone who can appreciate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back