INEARCUSTOM - Cheapest re-shell ever?
Jul 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #421 of 484
He's right back to his old ways, not answering email.I just want to know if he actually shipped my replacement IEMs as promised.

Has anybody ever tried to call the phone # listed on the invoice ?

I'm in the same boat as you... Emailed him asking for a tracking number for my replacement TF10's and no reply for over a week. You mentioned he sent you an email recently...do you mind elaborating here or thru PM of what the current situation is? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #423 of 484
Quote:

Now that I have experience with both companies, Inearz have more options (custom faceplates, more colours, artwork option, and ability to add recessed sockets). However if your iems do not have removable cables, Inearz will charge you an additional $35. Inearcustom's price includes the removable cable. I can tell you I spent more money getting Inearz to remold my FS1 than with Inearcustom. The fit, quality and turn-around time is better with InEarz. 

Others have already replied, but no, that pricing does NOT include removable cables.

I finally said screw it and tossed mine in the trash.  Grabbed a nice set of Etys and I'm a lot happier.  To hell with CIEMs.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #427 of 484
So they came in yesterday and I have tested them throughout the day today. Issues with bad connections ( in the left and a dead shell in the right) seem to be fixed. They do sound great, same crystal clarity on the highs and mids I remember from the UE700s and I do feel the bass has improved slightly from the above mod I mentioned. It's definitely not drastic, in the end I still wish I had a little more bass but I didn't want to risk throwing a random bass driver in there and totally messing with the signature. All in all I am very happy with the sound and will rock these all day most days. This is the most important part of the whole thing, why I started with this.

Fit/seals are good in both ears. Damn near perfect in the left and the right may need a bit of plastic sanded down on the upper ear piece. Right now it can get painful after a few hours and that upper price has a pretty squared off shape to it, I believe that is the culprit. Seals are good though so sound isn't affected. Due to the experiences of others and myself I am afraid to send back to them to fix so am going to attempt to fix myself with a dremel, been waiting for an excuse to buy one for a while.

Finish. I'd rate them a 6 for finish. What I am happy with on the finish is the color (light blue) really nice translucent blue and the clarity of the plastic is clear where polished correctly and bubles are there but very few and certainly not noticeable. What I don't like is the polishing on these are very inconsistent and frankly not complete. You may not see in the pics but there are still sanding swirls on the face (part you see when in your ear) from not polishing completely and then the canal pieces are foggy because of the same lack of polishing but more so (see pics, that's not lack of lighting that's the canals dull appearance from bad polishing). Also the plastic directly surounding the female connection in each looks bad or overworked, very cloudy here. Finally I was supposed to get my original wires back (came back to me the first to round) which I sent them back with and they shipped them back with some other low grade UE cable (L connector and memory wires.) that looked used. The memory wires where mangled in crazy zig zag right angles, very odd. Ultimately not an issue because I immediately plugged in my cables from Plussound (very happy with them and customer service is stellar). Just another example of not desirable customer service and quality/attention to detail.

What's the verdict? Sounds great, fits well, fit and finish is lacking (will try to fix myself), customer service is a 5, would not use them again because of the lack of attention to detail (customer service wise and then finish).

So I wanted to give the group an update after spending a few quality weeks with my IEMs.

Within an hour of use it became aparantly the fit of my right shel would be intolerable, sharp pain in my upper ear and then in my outer lower ear. After inspection the shape of my IEM wasn't very close to my impressions in these two spots. If you look at the IEM (side you see when in your ear) you should see an upside down tear drop shape. The right shell was missing the taper that points at the ear lob. After a few hours with a dremel, taking my time only taking a little bit off at a time I got it perfect. Should I have had to do this, no. Was I gona chance sending them back to Rob, No Way! Result, fits like a glove now.

Sound seems to have improved as time progressed, base is a little deeper and warmer, not much but noticeable. Not an expert so not sure if drivers or cables had to burn or break in, but I am happy with the result. Base is better than a regular UE700 setup. See above for mod made.

Set up is usually iPhone 4S, Digizoid ZO2, on a PlusSound Copper cable. Copper Audiominor line out interconnect.

So can Inearcustom produce something that you will be happy with? For me yes. Would I use them again, no way.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #428 of 484
I decided to send an old set of Shure e5c phones to Rob for reshelling.  I was a bit skeptical based in some of the posts here, but the final verdict was actually a pleasant surprise.  I sent them in on July 10 and received them back on August 8th. I maintained contact with Rob throughout the process.  He responded to my inquires, albeit not always immediately.  I told him at the outset that I was going to be away for a couple of weeks but I would need them back shortly after return, and he agreed.  When I returned I emailed him asking when i could expect the phones.  He said he was behind but would get them to me in another week.  A week later I emailed him and he said he had completed the phones and would send them USPS next day at his expense since i had waited.  I decided i'd prefer to use FedEx because of some of the problems I've read about here and some problems I've had in the past with USPS.  I arranged pickup by FedEx.

Ok, so it wasn't perfect but I got the phones in less than 4 weeks......and I am VERY impressed with the workmanship and end product.  The fit is perfect in both ears.  The finish is superb.  There are no air bubbles.  The seal is excellent.  The are much better than the original fit from the earplug superstore.  

Here are some pics:

So the bottom line is this.  Rob is not the most organized guy in the world.  He may need to be "managed" a bit.  Some of the post suggest that he me get behind on his work and there may be some significant waits.

But frankly, for the amount I spent ($120 or so), I'm VERY happy with the end product and the outcome.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #429 of 484
My business with this company is concluded. I may publish the e-mail transcript someday.If I do I will update this thread.

I cannot recommend this company to anyone based on my experiences alone.

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #430 of 484
Quote:
My business with this company is concluded. I may publish the e-mail transcript someday.If I do I will update this thread.

I cannot recommend this company to anyone based on my experiences alone.

Can you elaborate upon your experience to help those who might be deciding between various companies that reshell?  Seems there is lots of variability in people's experiences with Rob.  

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #431 of 484
I will publish the entire e-mail transcript, so whomever may be interested can draw their own conclusions. It may take a while for me to get this done, but if you are used to doing business with Rob, you are used to waiting.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #433 of 484
Just got my Shure E2's back (from inearcustom.com) that were standard issue with my in-ear monitor system.  I had a low driver added to them with Shure removable cables.  Wow!   They fit perfectly, and sound much better.  I'm super happy.  I had custom molds that "fit over" the E2's, and there is no comparison.  Couldn't be happier.

I wish I got them faster, but I had a spare pair to get me by.  The price and the end product made it worth the wait!  BTW... Those spares are on the way to get molded next.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #434 of 484
I also got my CIEMs from Rob today, triplefi.10s, and they are amazing! Fit comfortably, sound as great as they always have, but with better seal. I couldn't believe it could be done for less than I paid for them new, and with all of the options, but it's true!

For those with doubts, Rob has gotten much better on the communication on the IEC Facebook page, and I had no issue with the timing since I always have a pair of headphones when one goes down. Remember, you can only pick two of cheap, fast, and good, but he picked the right two! He even sent my impressions back so I can use them for a future set if I want.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #435 of 484
Quote:
I also got my CIEMs from Rob today, triplefi.10s, and they are amazing! Fit comfortably, sound as great as they always have, but with better seal. I couldn't believe it could be done for less than I paid for them new, and with all of the options, but it's true!

For those with doubts, Rob has gotten much better on the communication on the IEC Facebook page, and I had no issue with the timing since I always have a pair of headphones when one goes down. Remember, you can only pick two of cheap, fast, and good, but he picked the right two! He even sent my impressions back so I can use them for a future set if I want.

That reminds me of a question.   Rob sent back my original impressions and another set of clear acrylic impressions that were polished.  Does he do that so the clear acrylics can be used as molds for future headphones?  I've never seen that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back