Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #182 of 351
Here https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43198/
The CS43198 has DSD256, 384kHz, 32bit

If i pay full price out of my pocket for 2 CS43198 DAC's,
why is A&norma SR15 limited with 24bit, 192kHz and DSD64?

Either the chip manufacturer gave Astell & Kern price reduction with limited functionality or the customer pays full price but gets cheated.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #183 of 351
Your link doesn’t work, the most likely answer with regards to your remark is.
AK markets their products with features at X price points with X feature sets.

Their pricing tier at that 700 price before the 70MK II was a single DAC, then they added the second DAC. Now they’ve added a quad core processor and other feature as an evolution to this price point the 700 dollar DAP. Even the top line SP 1000 doesn’t provide full functionality of that DAC.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #185 of 351
Your link doesn’t work, the most likely answer with regards to your remark is.
AK markets their products with features at X price points with X feature sets.

Their pricing tier at that 700 price before the 70MK II was a single DAC, then they added the second DAC. Now they’ve added a quad core processor and other feature as an evolution to this price point the 700 dollar DAP. Even the top line SP 1000 doesn’t provide full functionality of that DAC.

Newbie question. Is there a technical reason for this? How does AK save money by reducing functionality?

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #186 of 351
Newbie question. Is there a technical reason for this? How does AK save money by reducing functionality?
No, it's just called crapty market segmentation, which becomes fairly ridiculous now that competition has released DAPs with full functionality for much less.
As much as I love good SQ, hard specs DO also matter!

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #187 of 351
Especially considering now many smartphones offer 192kHz 24bit, which was int audio in PC's at least 20 years ago.
The smartphones also have superior screen, no less than 3k pix OLED.

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #188 of 351
Does the SE100 have a screen protector pre-installed on the device or just included in the packaging?

Jun 19, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #191 of 351
Does the SE100 have a screen protector pre-installed on the device or just included in the packaging?
Screen protector not installed, but included in the packaging (2 sets). There's 2 for the front and 2 for the back. I f'd mine up, thinking there were 4 included and trying to get a good clean install. Too late, I discovered the last 2 I had were for the back (A&K noob). I ordered a couple of SP1000 screen protectors (can't find SE100 yet), hoping they'll fit. Still waiting on them. Doesn't really matter, though, as I already have a case, and the way I use mine, there's little to zero chance of the screen getting dinged.

While I'm here... the SE100 is everything I had hoped the DX200 would be (and isn't), only better. The sound quality to me is significantly better. The UI is super smooth and quick. And no nasty clicks, pops, or artifacts between track plays or switching sample rates at all... all totally silent.

The ONLY things I like better about the DX200 are 1) the volume knob is a little easier to turn on the DX200 when the device is laying flat on a desk (no problems when holding the SE100, or tilting it slightly... the SE100 volume knob seems to work a little easier with your hand behind the device), and 2) I like the DX200 placement of the headphone jack on bottom and the USB cable on top, as when I'm at my desk, it's more natural for the headphone cable to come out from the bottom of the unit, and the charger to come from an outlet at my cubicle from far side of my desk. I can see how the SE100 jack placement might really be better for carrying the device in a pocket, though.

I don't find the sound lacking in dynamics at all (as another poster said not as dynamic as the SP1000). Could be because of the great Westone W80s I'm using. I can see how maybe, with lesser headphones, it might be lacking in low and top end emphasis because the frequency range seems so flat, which might make some lesser headphones sound less dynamic or more "dull" due to lack of range in those areas. Also great to be able to hear all the detail and space between the notes so effortlessly. Reverb and room tones easy to pick out and hear. To me, the SE100 sounds killer/awesome... every bit as detailed and rich as the Benchmark DAC2 DX I use in the studio, with plenty of low end... but the low end is not intrusive at all to other frequencies (to me, anyway). Just sounds "right". Totally worth the price for me.

Anyone want a great deal on a DX200? PM me.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #192 of 351
Screen protector not installed, but included in the packaging (2 sets). There's 2 for the front and 2 for the back. I f'd mine up, thinking there were 4 included and trying to get a good clean install. Too late, I discovered the last 2 I had were for the back (A&K noob). I ordered a couple of SP1000 screen protectors (can't find SE100 yet), hoping they'll fit. Still waiting on them. Doesn't really matter, though, as I already have a case, and the way I use mine, there's little to zero chance of the screen getting dinged.

While I'm here... the SE100 is everything I had hoped the DX200 would be (and isn't), only better. The sound quality to me is significantly better. The UI is super smooth and quick. And no nasty clicks, pops, or artifacts between track plays or switching sample rates at all... all totally silent.

The ONLY things I like better about the DX200 are 1) the volume knob is a little easier to turn on the DX200 when the device is laying flat on a desk (no problems when holding the SE100, or tilting it slightly... the SE100 volume knob seems to work a little easier with your hand behind the device), and 2) I like the DX200 placement of the headphone jack on bottom and the USB cable on top, as when I'm at my desk, it's more natural for the headphone cable to come out from the bottom of the unit, and the charger to come from an outlet at my cubicle from far side of my desk. I can see how the SE100 jack placement might really be better for carrying the device in a pocket, though.

I don't find the sound lacking in dynamics at all (as another poster said not as dynamic as the SP1000). Could be because of the great Westone W80s I'm using. I can see how maybe, with lesser headphones, it might be lacking in low and top end emphasis because the frequency range seems so flat, which might make some lesser headphones sound less dynamic or more "dull" due to lack of range in those areas. Also great to be able to hear all the detail and space between the notes so effortlessly. Reverb and room tones easy to pick out and hear. To me, the SE100 sounds killer/awesome... every bit as detailed and rich as the Benchmark DAC2 DX I use in the studio, with plenty of low end... but the low end is not intrusive at all to other frequencies (to me, anyway). Just sounds "right". Totally worth the price for me.

And are you going to start an "Official" SE100 owner's thread? (I hope)

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #193 of 351

Thanks. Great comments to hear.

Mike

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #194 of 351
Mm...was able to audition the SE 100 and compared it with the SP 1000 in HK recently. It is still SP 1000 for me. More live feel to the music. Is it worth the premium`? I leave that to your wallet to decide. If you have extra cheddar and just want the very best, go for the SP 1000 copper. But the SE 100 is the better value.

Chain: Empire Ears Zeus XIV R - PW Audio 4-wire 1960s 2.5 mm bal. - AK players. Tracks: familiar ones.

AK UI on both is just FUNtastic. Holding it and using it just reinforces my long-time belief that A&K does make premium DAPs. No question about it. I saw the Kann for the first time. I did not audition it. It was just too ugly to even touch. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back