Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
Jun 24, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #211 of 351
I guess I've had my SE100 for almost 4 weeks. I've spent many, many hours listening, and my overwhelming impression is more details and clarity. I'm not greatly gifted with the use of superfluous superlatives - just know that this is the most I've ever spent for gear besides my Noble Kaiser's, which I replaced with my A&K T8iEmkii's. So far, I'm very happy.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #212 of 351
I guess I've had my SE100 for almost 4 weeks. I've spent many, many hours listening, and my overwhelming impression is more details and clarity. I'm not greatly gifted with the use of superfluous superlatives - just know that this is the most I've ever spent for gear besides my Noble Kaiser's, which I replaced with my A&K T8iEmkii's. So far, I'm very happy.

Curious how you got it so early before general release? Glad you like it :)

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #213 of 351
Oops. Seems like longer. When I pre-ordered, Iriver shipped Thurs evening, May 31st. I received it June 2nd. So for 23 days, I've loved the A&K combo.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #214 of 351
My SE100 has landed on my desk. I'll unpack and get it set up after lunch (work permitting).

Is it appropriate to set up a new thread for the SE100 (now that people actually own it), or do we simply carry on in this 15 page long thread?

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #215 of 351
Excuse the dust and somewhat hastily applied screen protector....

20180625_125433764_iOS.jpg

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #217 of 351
My SE100 has landed on my desk. I'll unpack and get it set up after lunch (work permitting).

Is it appropriate to set up a new thread for the SE100 (now that people actually own it), or do we simply carry on in this 15 page long thread?
Questions;
1. How is the user interface (UI) / user experience (UX)?
2. Is the sound really "Radically different sound" ?
(by ES9038 Pro 8-channel DAC)
3. Global PRO / CON ?
4. Any reason (besides cost, and maybe 2.5 mm balanced vs 4.4 balanced) not to buy it?

Mike

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #218 of 351
Bear in mind that I've only had a short time to play so far - and I'm at work. And I'm on the first version of the firmware (I can't connect to work WiFi with this device)

1) The UI is pretty snappy. It's different to the old AK Jr, but in a good way. You've seen the YouTube I linked earlier in the thread. Scrolling is good, and you can drag the slider bar up and down for even snappier scrolling. Search button works well for searching for album/artist etc. (but you have to go back to the main screen to use it each time).
2) Yes. Sounds different to my previous AR M20 - cooler, more transparent, more honest I'd say, but I'm not an expert listener by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't have balanced headphones.
3) Pros - lots. Snappy UI, sounds great. Cons - The design makes it difficult to pick up from the desk. The side buttons are a bit too small. If you have an artist with many albums, you have to scroll past all of the songs in each album to get to the lower albums. There's no sorting options. You can't stop the screen from blanking out and you're forced to press the power button on top to wake the screen back up (there's no tap-to-wake).
4) It's a subjective choice. I don't want to buy another DAP for a long time to come, so I reasoned that over time I'd save money on chasing the rainbow. As much as I liked my old AR M20, I hated it crashing every few days (and it having no pause button). I figured that the SP1000 has stood the test of time, so the SE100 should do the same.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #219 of 351
I wound up ordering the SE100 over the weekend, it should be here later this week. I ordered the Miter case and that's been delivered already. I think the A&K case looks a bit better, but at $59 you can't beat it. There's a review up on Amazon with a real picture of the A&K case and it looks really well made. I might wind up ordering the red one. http://a.co/iFuYjOR

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #222 of 351
In the future, will AK make the SE100 in SS version or copper version?

I'm guessing that they would keep those exclusive to the SP1000 as a way to differentiate it from the SE100. Even it's predecessor, the AK320 was only available in one colour.

I do wish would AK was as adventurous with colours in some of their higher end players like they are with the AK70 (especially Japan). The SE100 in red or twilight rose would be interesting.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #223 of 351
I have tried both devices. I would say I am impressed with SE100. I think they tune it refined and smooth with great detail and soundstage with adequate amount of impact and bass to enjoy variety of genre.

While I do not quite impresed with SR15. I think it is too boring sounding compared to 70ii at same price range, I still find 70ii is a best price : performance for all AK products.
Thoughts vs the DX200?

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #224 of 351
Thoughts vs the DX200?
As an audio player... the se100 is better than the DX200... in every way. Sound is more balanced... not bloated in the low end, highs not as exaggerated. Not to say the se100 is boring or dull... it's not at all. Better dynamics, more clear and balanced throughout the frequency range. UI and software works without a hiccup. No strange noises, pops, or clicks when switching sample rates or track lists. Just gorgeous, clear, balanced sound quality, from top to bottom. SE100 > DHC silver (se) > Westone W80... no EQ... if there's better, I haven't heard it yet.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #225 of 351
As an audio player... the se100 is better than the DX200... in every way. Sound is more balanced... not bloated in the low end, highs not as exaggerated. Not to say the se100 is boring or dull... it's not at all. Better dynamics, more clear and balanced throughout the frequency range. UI and software works without a hiccup. No strange noises, pops, or clicks when switching sample rates or track lists. Just gorgeous, clear, balanced sound quality, from top to bottom. SE100 > DHC silver (se) > Westone W80... no EQ... if there's better, I haven't heard it yet.
Thanks! Which amp module were you using with the DX200? There is a world of difference between the stock module, amp 1, and amp 4 module, for instance. Wasn't fond of the stock amp but love the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back