Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #151 of 351
This is also my concern - so interested to see the reviews.

Wondering whether a move to Shure SE846s (from 535s) are a better spend for my listening tastes.
I have been a long-time user of Shure SE846 and have owned an AK70MKII since the beginning of the year. This has been a great combo that, with a SanDisk 400GB microSD inserted, sounds great and is loaded with music for days and days. Though a big fan of A&K (previously have owned an AK240 and an AK300), my enjoyment of my current simple set-up of ‘phones and DAP, has dampened my interest in their new players (certainly until I take some reviews into account).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #152 of 351
The first impression from a trusted audio reviewer @Sasaki

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/459701054.html

I was hoping SE100 would take the calyx M tunning, however it appears ESS can be tune in two way, the brighter more detailed sound vs warmer, dynamic and better layered sound which both seem to be linked to power supply requirement for the chip.

Extract from link above translated using google translation.

"After all, the sound has coldness like ESS when compared with AK380, the high sense of SN feeling and the sense of transparency are more expensive is also ESS-like point. The sound is crisp and the sense of clarity is high and it is rather flat. Unbalanced is also one level higher performance than AK 380, but in balancing there is a feeling that SE 100 will be in turbo mode as if some switch had entered."

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #153 of 351
The first impression from a trusted audio reviewer @Sasaki

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/459701054.html

I was hoping SE100 would take the calyx M tunning, however it appears ESS can be tune in two way, the brighter more detailed sound vs warmer, dynamic and better layered sound which both seem to be linked to power supply requirement for the chip.

Extract from link above translated using google translation.

"After all, the sound has coldness like ESS when compared with AK380, the high sense of SN feeling and the sense of transparency are more expensive is also ESS-like point. The sound is crisp and the sense of clarity is high and it is rather flat. Unbalanced is also one level higher performance than AK 380, but in balancing there is a feeling that SE 100 will be in turbo mode as if some switch had entered."
Thanks.
Good to see something out, but I'd say even after translation that these are preliminary observations.
Will look forward to hear more detailed reviews.

Happy weekend,

Mike

Jun 8, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #154 of 351
Doesn't make much sense so far...
If it's flat and analytical, comparing it to AK380 is completely pointless because this kind of tuning adresses a different crowd than the smooth and detailed AK380.
Being flat and transparent is not a measurement of quality, just how it's tuned. If it's the case, then comparison should be with more similar DAPs.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #157 of 351
SE100 > DHC Silver (unbalanced) > Westone W80

First impressions...

Best balanced portable DAP I've ever heard. Been listening to iBasso DX200 for a year or so now. And while it sounds good... it sounds a bit hyped and over bearing in the high and low end...compared to the SE100. And yet... the SE100 is so detailed and layered in it's presentation... it's not boring in any sense... unless maybe you like sizzly highs. While there's great extension in the highs, it's never pronounced, as if it's not trying to add anything to the presentation... just play it back as is. And there's plenty of warmth and low end. I was afraid it might be a little too sterile for my tastes, as I'm a bit of a basshead. But no issues to me whatsoever. And the midrange is exquisite, pretty much everywhere.

And then there's the UI and screen, which is leagues better than the DX200. The screen and user interface are flawless in function... unlike the DX200. The only thing I'd wish for in terms of the UI is a few more sorting options (like being able to sort artist/albums by date rather than alaphabetical), and then when at artist/album, be able to hide the tracks for each album so that I only see the individual albums, with the songs listed for each album if I select an album.

Other than that, very happy with the SE100 so far. Really impressed that they got the 9038, which is perceived as a very clinical DAC, to be so warm, impactful, layered and detailed, but not harsh in the high end in the least, and with plenty of low end and lower midrange warmth for my tastes.

May be back for more impressions later... or I might be too busy listening. :ksc75smile:

I also might have a DX200 for sale...

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #158 of 351

First impressions...

Best balanced portable DAP I've ever heard. Been listening to iBasso DX200 for a year or so now. And while it sounds good... it sounds a bit hyped and over bearing in the high and low end...compared to the SE100. And yet... the SE100 is so detailed and layered in it's presentation... it's not boring in any sense... unless maybe you like sizzly highs. While there's great extension in the highs, it's never pronounced, as if it's not trying to add anything to the presentation... just play it back as is. And there's plenty of warmth and low end. I was afraid it might be a little too sterile for my tastes, as I'm a bit of a basshead. But no issues to me whatsoever. And the midrange is exquisite, pretty much everywhere.

And then there's the UI and screen, which is leagues better than the DX200. The screen and user interface are flawless in function... unlike the DX200. The only thing I'd wish for in terms of the UI is a few more sorting options (like being able to sort artist/albums by date rather than alaphabetical), and then when at artist/album, be able to hide the tracks for each album so that I only see the individual albums, with the songs listed for each album if I select an album.

Other than that, very happy with the SE100 so far. Really impressed that they got the 9038, which is perceived as a very clinical DAC, to be so warm, impactful, layered and detailed, but not harsh in the high end in the least, and with plenty of low end and lower midrange warmth for my tastes.

May be back for more impressions later... or I might be too busy listening. :ksc75smile:

That sounds very positive.
Can you discuss more about the user interface (UI)?
(This sounds great: "The screen and user interface are flawless in function... ")
Any screenshots?

Mike

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #159 of 351
I played around with an SE100 today, the interface is very nice. Super quick response too.

I would say though it’s just a skin, there’s not much in the way of new features in the UI from what I can tell. But you could certainly get the sense of the quad core processor. With that said I never found the older AK interface slow for a dap.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #160 of 351

First impressions...

Great write up, but can you report back on it’s networking/ streaming capabalilities. Have you tried tidal? I know streaming’s not everyone’s priority but it’s a fairly disappointing experience in other AK models. Thanks :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #161 of 351
Jun 12, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #162 of 351
Best balanced portable DAP I've ever heard.....

Did you switch the AK signature sound off by creating a real flat EQ?

Jun 12, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #163 of 351
Listened to the Astell&Kern SR15 and SE100 at the AK store in Taipei, initial impressions are pretty positive.
I also posted this in another thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...in-munich-germany.879392/page-8#post-14298539
Not knowing which one is the main thread for them.

SaIEFYMm.jpg

First I listened to Sony’s XBA-A3 via unbalanced ports. The SR15 and SE100 shares the same characteristics: both are flat in tonality, have a very vivid imaging and have sharp transients. The SE100 might be a bit more natural sounding but from the XBA-A3, I couldn’t say there’s much of a difference. I also compared both to my iPhone+Mojo, while Mojo has a warmer & sweeter sound, I felt that the resolution is higher in both SR15 and SE100.

[Side note: I found out awhile ago that Mojo’s capability are largely being limited when being used as a portable DAC/AMP paired with smartphones. Mojo sounds dramatically worse when connected directly to the iPhone X, compared to connecting with a Mac or PC through Schiit Eitr.]

Next up I tried HD650 with their balanced ports. I tested HD650 balanced before with a lot of different DAPs: including Fiio X5iii, AK KANN, and Sony WM1A/Z balanced. None of them drive HD650 well enough. Sony’s WM1A/Z isn’t powerful enough to drive HD650 to play classical music, not even in balanced high gain mode. The X5iii and KANN while having enough power, sounds grainy and a bit distorted in high gain mode.

To my surprise, SR15 balanced out to HD650 sounds quite listenable. It’s powerful enough for quiet passages in classical music (never needed to exceed volume 140 out of 150) The sound is clean and distortion-free, nothing is missing from low to high. I feel that SR15 has more detail than iPhone+Mojo, but still lacks the easiness of Mojo.

G0s5Kjam.jpg

Then I switched to SE100 balanced out and found out that this is where SE100 really shines. The SE100 drives the HD650 effortlessly. I admit I was hoping for it but never really thought it would work with HD650s. The sound became full and detailed, depth is more pronounced and there’s more liveliness in the music. This might be the first DAP I tried which actually brought out good macro-dynamics from my HD650.

Near the end of my long listening session (About 1.5 hrs), switching back and forth between SE100 and SR15, the difference between the two became evident: SR15 had become a little fatiguing over the long listening session, but with the SE100, I’d still want to run through playlists and wanted to discover more about its character. I think the great clarity and enjoyable musicality in SE100 is almost on par with Eitr+Mojo, which is my current Office rig. They both work well with long listening sessions through HD650.

The only downside I find about SE100 is that the edges of its body is sharp, making it uncomfortable to grip. The SR15 is much better in this regard. And of course the price tag... I'd have to listen to it more to see if it justifies the cost, but unlike their previous offerings, which often attracted me first by their appearance yet soon made me disappointed by their lack-luster sound (Maybe excluding SP1000, for me it's too expensive to put into consideration), this one really does sound as good as it looks.

pXxFNsAm.jpg

Another thing is, the SE100 sample here doesn't seem to have SPDIF output, the option is not shown in the menu (SP1000 has a SPDIF option in the menu)
I'm seeing contradicting specs everywhere either with optical or without it, maybe this one's different from their final-production units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back