Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #196 of 351
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #197 of 351
I don't recall seeing this link posted yet...

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bleeding-edge-dap-technology-has-fresh-cuts
The bleeding edge of DAP technology has fresh cuts.
Stephen F. Murdoch | Jun 19, 2018

Many thanks for posting this link. Mike! The Inner Fidelity discussion includes a couple of paragraphs that, let's say, were not crystal clear:

"Posturing differences in a DAP is fairly different from evaluating headphones, in this scenario many of the physical hurdles and pesky variables have been removed. Right off the bat it wasn’t hard to tell that the frequency response is pretty much even from unit to unit. What you get as you creep up the line is more meat on the bone, so-to-speak.

Less papery textures and more life. Heightened detail retrieval over any Apple phone is standard (for even the least expensive models) and the delta of this “meaty smoothness” appeared less from the SR15 to the SE100 than it did from the SE100 to the flagship Ultima SP1000 featured at the event."

I think he meant assessing rather than posturing in the first paragraph. In the second paragraph he talks about the delta of this "meaty smoothness." I think that misuses the word delta. Delta can mean the difference between two things. But he seems to suggest no so much a difference as an increase in a particular quality, i.e. meaty smoothness, whatever that is. Anyone understand what is meant here? Is there a bigger quality jump from the SE 100 to the SP1000 than from the SR15 to the SE 100?

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #198 of 351
Many thanks for posting this link. Mike! The Inner Fidelity discussion includes a couple of paragraphs that, let's say, were not crystal clear:

"Posturing differences in a DAP is fairly different from evaluating headphones, in this scenario many of the physical hurdles and pesky variables have been removed. Right off the bat it wasn’t hard to tell that the frequency response is pretty much even from unit to unit. What you get as you creep up the line is more meat on the bone, so-to-speak.

Less papery textures and more life. Heightened detail retrieval over any Apple phone is standard (for even the least expensive models) and the delta of this “meaty smoothness” appeared less from the SR15 to the SE100 than it did from the SE100 to the flagship Ultima SP1000 featured at the event."

I think he meant assessing rather than posturing in the first paragraph. In the second paragraph he talks about the delta of this "meaty smoothness." I think that misuses the word delta. Delta can mean the difference between two things. But he seems to suggest no so much a difference as an increase in a particular quality, i.e. meaty smoothness, whatever that is. Anyone understand what is meant here? Is there a bigger quality jump from the SE 100 to the SP1000 than from the SR15 to the SE 100?
I haven't read a full professional review. Just scattered impressions.
However nothing that is a "radically different" sound.
My impression from this impression was that SR15 -> SE100 was a smaller difference than SE100 -> SP1000.

Mike

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #199 of 351
I can't get the PDF for the SE100 manual (English) to download.
SE100 User Manual - Jun 08, 2018
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...rd=&cg=&goods=SC32050&idx=1000087&page=1&no=1

Anyone else?

EDIT:
Strangely, I can download the German version. However, meine Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

EDIT#2:
After several attempts the English manual downloaded. Must have either been a local (or user) issue or some server hangup. Sorry.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #201 of 351
I can't get the PDF for the SE100 manual (English) to download.
SE100 User Manual - Jun 08, 2018
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...rd=&cg=&goods=SC32050&idx=1000087&page=1&no=1

Anyone else?

EDIT:
Strangely, I can download the German version. However, meine Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

EDIT#2:
After several attempts the English manual downloaded. Must have either been a local (or user) issue or some server hangup. Sorry.

That would be mein Deutsch (d.h. das Deutsch). (d.h. stands for das heist, or, idiomatically i.e.).:smile_phones:

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #205 of 351
What is the average (or mean, median, mode...) for a DAP review compared with release date?
Either in general for for A&K products.
I would think (?) that it is around day 0 or even before.
Don't suppliers usual send out DAPs to reviewers before release?
Reviewers may be under a CDA until release day, but it seems like there are reviews for many DAPs out there, but none except very superficial impression for the SE 100.

Mike

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #206 of 351
(sorry if already posted...)

From "John" at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-...1&refRID=D8KZ66W98W6XG305D6Y0#customerReviews
"Simply put - AMAZING! This is wicked close to a SP1000, yet weights 1/3 less and less bulky! 3.5mm drives my AKG N5005( a pretty power demanding piece) very well already, will test balance output very soon which has a even slight greater output level than SP1000! This would drive most of the portable audio devices to their full potential for sure!
P.S. Buy a 400 GB TF card and put tons of MSQ and DSD in there, 112 GB usable internal memory is just not enough."

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #207 of 351
I'm pretty hopeful for the SE100 at this point, 90% sure I'm going to order one in the next week. Spec wise, it look awesome. I wish it had 5ghz A/C wireless, but 2.4Ghz b/g/n still works fine. Maybe there's a good reason they didn't choose a 5Ghz wireless chip.

Nice to see there's at least one person out there that's happy with it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #210 of 351
There's a better video of the SE100 here

Although not in English, it does show the UI actually in use (looks nicely fluid and responsive to me)

Good find, the UI looks awesome. Definitely let us know what you think when you get yours. I hope to order one next week when they're back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back