Incoming Astell & Kern New: A&futura and A&norma
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #226 of 351
As an audio player... the se100 is better than the DX200... in every way. Sound is more balanced... not bloated in the low end, highs not as exaggerated. Not to say the se100 is boring or dull... it's not at all. Better dynamics, more clear and balanced throughout the frequency range. UI and software works without a hiccup. No strange noises, pops, or clicks when switching sample rates or track lists. Just gorgeous, clear, balanced sound quality, from top to bottom. SE100 > DHC silver (se) > Westone W80... no EQ... if there's better, I haven't heard it yet.
Great to hear. My SE100 arrives tomorrow.

(EDIT: And I was asking the same questions about various DAP comparisons including DX200...)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #228 of 351
I only use unbalanced w/ IEMs. Have stock amp 1, amp 2, amp 5. I like the se100 unbalanced better than any of the various unbalanced dx200 amps.
Thanks again!

Any further impressions of anyone that might've heard the SE100 balanced vs DX200 w/amp 3 or 4 is appreciated :ksc75smile:

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #230 of 351
As I know AK DAPs have only balanced 2.5 output which could beat the DX200+ amp4s easily? I would not think so!
I don't understand what you are saying.

I included Amp 3 because I owned it and is a fully balanced 2.5mm module.

Amp 4 is fully balanced 4.4mm.

All the comparisons I'm asking for are balanced, the form factor in this case taken only as a physical difference, not a sonic one. All comparisons being balanced should make it easier to... compare.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #231 of 351
Just only one “stupid” question, can I use Qobuz streaming app in the SE100?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #232 of 351
Do we know if there will be a case available for the SR15 yet?

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #236 of 351
Bear in mind that I've only had a short time to play so far - and I'm at work. And I'm on the first version of the firmware (I can't connect to work WiFi with this device)

1) The UI is pretty snappy. It's different to the old AK Jr, but in a good way. You've seen the YouTube I linked earlier in the thread. Scrolling is good, and you can drag the slider bar up and down for even snappier scrolling. Search button works well for searching for album/artist etc. (but you have to go back to the main screen to use it each time).
2) Yes. Sounds different to my previous AR M20 - cooler, more transparent, more honest I'd say, but I'm not an expert listener by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't have balanced headphones.
3) Pros - lots. Snappy UI, sounds great. Cons - The design makes it difficult to pick up from the desk. The side buttons are a bit too small. If you have an artist with many albums, you have to scroll past all of the songs in each album to get to the lower albums. There's no sorting options. You can't stop the screen from blanking out and you're forced to press the power button on top to wake the screen back up (there's no tap-to-wake).
4) It's a subjective choice. I don't want to buy another DAP for a long time to come, so I reasoned that over time I'd save money on chasing the rainbow. As much as I liked my old AR M20, I hated it crashing every few days (and it having no pause button). I figured that the SP1000 has stood the test of time, so the SE100 should do the same.
Have you noticed a big difference after a burn-in period? If so, do you have any recommendations for the amount of time to set aside for burn-in?

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #237 of 351
I just bought my SE100 and am picking up later today. Time to say goodbye to my trusty AK70mii and AK240.
I'm keeping an eye out for cases too, so far I haven't seen great options.
If you could be so kind as to compare all three DAPs once you've broken in the SE100 I'm sure many of us would really appreciate it!

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #239 of 351
Thoughts vs the DX200?

Maybe a bit controversial in this thread since I love reference kind of sound. I think main difference is SE100 focuses on Mid with smooth treble while DX200 AMP4 has much more reference sound, less mid centric and more transparent and better detail retrieval. The bass and impact is similar. They both have tight bass. They both feel energetic. They both have similar 3D experience. However, DX200 may be ear-fatiguing than SE100. That depends on your IEM. Still, I feel a lot of magic in DX200 AMP4 more than SE100. Maybe my bias from just owning DX200, but DX200 (AMP4) has more intriguing sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back