...in which clarity, isolation (read: closed), durability and comfort are all very important.
Sep 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Marximus

Headphoneus Supremus
I will soon have a job where I will be doing some critical listening for potentially long periods of time.  As stated above, those four characteristics are going to be very important to me.  I'm looking at the Shure SRH 940s, the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s, and the Fischer FA-003s.  Can anybody comment on these with regard to the previously mentioned characteristics or provide alternative suggestions?  Thanks.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 25
MDR-7509HD

I know people are going to be arguing, so I'll tell you what. For monitoring it's best to go neutral.

Most people that know only the Flavor-of-the-month headphones will say Beyer and Denon. based on fancy charts and all that junk

If I had to rely on a headphone for a job, Custom IEM's would be my first grabs. Other then that a neutral can would be best.

Neutral cans provide the sound that can handle anything without coloring the entire sound of what you're listening to. Denon and Beyer are more "balanced" meaning that the highs and bass are boosted to sound balanced. But that's altering to get their sound. A Neutral can IS balanced without needing to be "balanced" as also what you would find in cable and amping of "balance"-ing.

The 7509HD has the comfort, isolation and clarity that is amazing. People can wonder about the durability of the plastic, but it's strong and as strong as the MDR-V6

For me, if I needed a fullsized monitor, I would go 7509HD. I use my MDR-V6 for the moment. But soon I really need to upgrade.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 25
Does the 7509HD have the same style/comfort as the V6s?  My first foray into higher end audio was the V6s, and I promptly returned them due to high discomfort.  My ears stick out a bit, and there was far too much pressure on my ears.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Does the 7509HD have the same style/comfort as the V6s?  My first foray into higher end audio was the V6s, and I promptly returned them due to high discomfort.  My ears stick out a bit, and there was far too much pressure on my ears.

You add some foam on the inner part of the pads. Underneath the pads like this...

I have the same type of problem too. My ears are sensitive to laying on something. So I add the padding to increase the distance. Your ears sill touch the driver, but not hard and just enough to use the padding.

btw: Downfall to the V6/7506/7509HD is that pads. they fall apart on the inside. Yet some people never experience this. I sewed mine as you see and that kept them together. Not a big deal but the only downfall to a great can.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 25
Seriously, just get the KRK KNS-6400 with some of the 8400's memory foam pads and be done with it.
If you like the AKG K601 like I did, I'm sure you'd love these!

The 6400 with memory foam pads is one of the most comfortable closed headphones ever made. Even better than the old Bose AE1 with it's memory foam pads.

They're $99 and the memory foam pads are $30, but totally worth the upgrade.

Sound clarity is pretty impressive for such a cheap headphone. Lots of detail, but still very musical and not boring in any way IMO.

Here's a picture of the 8400 with the memory foam pads (they work on the 6400):

BTW the 8400 comes with the pads, but I prefer the 6400 by far.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
I'd prefer to avoid modification of any kind.

Then K701's

But they need a great of a system to run. Your receiver might work.

And why no mods? It's just a pad mod.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 25
Also AD700

(I can already hear the Gamer's claws at my back)

The Ad700 isn't too balanced but more neutral. It would be good and comfy. But the large pads still lay on your ears.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 25
The Thunderpants should be considered as well.  They have clarity in the way of speed and accuracy rather than the usual bright and basslight colorations that mimic clarity. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 25
I don't anticipate open headphones being ideal, so that rules out K701s and AD700s.  I'd stick with my K601s (and still plan to for non-critical listening), but they're also open.
The KRKs look pretty shallow.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
I don't anticipate open headphones being ideal, so that rules out K701s and AD700s.  I'd stick with my K601s (and still plan to for non-critical listening), but they're also open.
The KRKs look pretty shallow.

They're really not. Nothing like the V6/7506. They fully surround my ears and they don't touch the drivers.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
They're really not. Nothing like the V6/7506. They fully surround my ears and they don't touch the drivers.

Well I have pretty low ears, but finicky at times and found my ears to contact the driver. Just to scrub at it. Not bad.

Now, why not Open? Closed cans have to be altered to sound good, you know that right? The drivers have to be balanced by force. Neutral headphone usually stay open for a reason.

Yeah your AKG will work OP. Might be a little colored. but as long as you're not making alterations, they should be fine.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 25
Closed is important because I will most likely be working with other employees in the same room, and it is important that there is neither sound leakage to or from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back