In today's date and age, what's a good profession to pursue?
Aug 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to UB because it is the top SUNY research school, has a medical school and is also the biggest SUNY school.

I just read this and thought it was funny that Stony Brook also tout themselves as the top research school in SUNY. The school also frequently refers to itself as the SUNY flagship. I wonder how the rest of the schools feel about that.

Anyway, I don't have much to add to the conversation except to say that four years before college is WAY too soon to be this concerned about lacking direction. You think you are developed and on your way. But believe me when I say that you don't even know what your good at yet. You probably have some talent in a few areas, but talent doesn't make a career. Give yourself time. Drive too hard in one direction too early, and you'll find four years from now that you've made a mistake. Good luck, work hard, have fun and relax.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #64 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read this and thought it was funny that Stony Brook also tout themselves as the top research school in SUNY. The school also frequently refers to itself as the SUNY flagship. I wonder how the rest of the schools feel about that.

Yup, UB and Stonybrook kind of fight for that top research spot

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #65 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...don't get it.

Everyone will eventually need one and the industry is 100% recession proof.

Plus, it really impresses the chicks...

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #68 of 109
Quote:

wow I didn't know everyone would need a mortician. That's amazing!

Well, I guess I should say everyone that isn't tied to a sack full of rocks and thrown off the back of the Stugots by Tony, Paulie & Sylvio...
ph34r.gif

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

wow I didn't know everyone would need a mortician. That's amazing!

Not everyone does. You've got your Vikings, cannibals, Kool-Aid drinking cult members, villagers in the way of a driver ant migration, and spontaneous combustors to name a few. Luckily for morticians, those people are the minority.

EDIT: Then you have many people who do not want to be buried but cremated instead. I fully respect that decision. Ever wonder what will happen in a few hundred thousand years if the majority are buried? Think of all the cemeteries...

Aug 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #70 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone will eventually need one and the industry is 100% recession proof.

Plus, it really impresses the chicks...

Try reading "The American Way of Death," by Jessica Mitford. It's as good an explanation of the industry as I've seen. Lots of people want to avoid the funeral industry - including myself. I have a dim view of the industry.

Also, for fun, read "The Loved One," by Evelyn Waugh. Terrible and hilarious.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #71 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Then you have many people who do not want to be buried but cremated instead. I fully respect that decision. Every wonder what will happen in a few hundred thousand years if the majority are buried? Think of all the cemeteries...

...zombies? =X

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't a cremation still need to be done by a licensed facility? It's not like you can just toss ol' Uncle Jake on the BBQ...

Most certainly, but I am sure that it is a much more simple process with regards to "options" such as casket type, open vs. closed casket funeral, wake location, burial location, kind of tombstone, ad nauseum. My wife swore me to be buried together, even though I think it is a waste of space. I will honor her wishes and think there is a great feeling knowing I will be beside her after death, but I definitely see the side of those who want to avoid the whole thing altogether and wish to be cremated.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #75 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After touching a genuine Auschwitz oven door, the subject of cremation makes me want to vomit.

I can understand the strong feelings regarding the subject, but you really cannot compare voluntary cremation to the Holocaust. It would be like if I were say that I saw a mass grave in Iraq, and the thought of burial made me sick. Finding a proper process for dealing with the deceased is a very touchy subject, and I believe there are good reasons to do either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back