In today's date and age, what's a good profession to pursue?
Aug 3, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #91 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, he quit to go back to school and get an MBA. Where did he go? Kellogg @ Northwestern...
wink_face.gif

MBA is the route I took. Jack of all trades and master of none.
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #92 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, conversely, the American dream of unencumbered movement of goods and talent has become international.

That's what I do, and business is booming.

You smuggle drugs, guns and prostitutes? Wow...
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #93 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You smuggle drugs, guns and prostitutes? Wow...
tongue.gif

I believe you're referring to the Trandniestrian Dream.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #94 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MBA is the route I took. Jack of all trades and master of none.
wink_face.gif

Yup - me too - but I went to a no-name local univ. My proudest day was when they issued me my pointy-hair...

pointy-hairedBoss_dilbert.jpg

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #96 of 109
Yeah, talk about an outdated question. If I had $1 million, I'd go get a job. The hell else am I going to do in 15 years when I've burned through that million? Maybe I make some smart investments up front and live on a portion of the interest, but that train's pulling into the station before you know it, too.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #98 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think its also important to realize that unless you go into specific majors-professions, you can pretty much do anything you want with your degrees/college education. The exceptions are of course:
Engineering
Architecture
Pre-Med/vet/law (just do something else as well as a back up)

I'll agree with that to a certain extent. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Architecture and definitely branced out of the profession. I recently got a Master's in Higher Education and now work professionally in a small university.

As a person who works in the field, this is where I strongly urge students to use all available resources and becoming involved on campus, such as student clubs and organizations, student government association (SGA), leadership opportunities (becoming a Resident Assistant, Orientation Leader, Peer Mentor), etc. College is about strong academics, but it is also about gaining the soft skills that are not taught in the classrooms that are required later in life, as well as meeting people outside of your particular major, which may lead to networking opportunities after graduation. 80% of a college student's time is spent outside the classrooms, so one might as well use that time wisely.

It is true that most students who study in specialized fields like Architecture, Engineering, Pre-Med/Law, already know what they want to be. However, it doesn't hurt to branch out to different opportunities when it is so readily available on any college campus. I thought I wanted to become an Architect when I was an undergrad student, but after I graduated that was not the case. If I wasn't involved on my college campus, I would be stuck in a rut and would have never been able to change careers. I know a few friends who are miserable right now because the major they graduated with did not work out professionally, but it's the only thing they know how to do because they never took opportunities elsewhere when they were college students.

That said, most people tend to change careers once or twice in their lifetime... something to think about.

One more advice, for college applicants who are undecided on what major to pursue, apply to Liberal Arts colleges and be open to any interests or opportunities that may arise. It is not uncommon for students to declare their majors in their Sophomore or Junior years, and even transfer to more specialized colleges once they find out.

Good luck!

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #99 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when asked, I do not recommend engineering or computers anymore.

it will all be (is now) done in india, eastern europe, china; ALL places but the US. take my word, as someone who has seen outsourcing and offshoring kill a very good engineering base of talent here in the US.

go for a trade school! college is a waste of time for MANY people. the assumption of the american dream and college died about 10 yrs ago when outsourcing became 'the way' for corporations to increase profits and enjoy abusing their workers.

what is safe? physical things that can't be outsourced. fix cars, unplug drains, run wires on phone poles, build cabinets out of wood. physical things are safe. intellectual arts are going the way of the dodo bird, for the western world ;(

4 years in engineering school is a waste of money and time if you're a young american. you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE with world wages. don't even try ;( ;(

sorry. life is not a disney movie. the american dream is sold out.

Theres some genres of engineering that are plenty safe in the US from outsourcing. The most obvious being defense contractors. I got a job from one of them. Then theres power systems engineering, thats entirely local as well, and probably going to become more local even as the government realizes how risky a threat to the infrastructure is. There will always be smaller local engineering firms that have <50 employees. Those sorts of companies simply cant outsource. In Lake Tahoe theres one such company that designs microchip testbeds.

Also, engineering grads arent limited to just the engineering field either. I read an article recently that pointed out (this was written prior to the recession) that some engineering firms were having trouble finding and keeping engineers to wall street. The article pointed out that engineering is one of the most arduous majors to take and shows the grads intelligence and fortitude over many other majors. The article talked about how many engineers were being given high positions in businesses because engineering focuses on how to teach thinking, solving problems with solutions, instead of memorizing and regurgitating.

I hope no one takes offense to this, Im merely reiterating what the article had said.

Other things to consider about an engineering degree. I had read additional articles (I research for fun, what can I say) that talked about how engineers are coveted for medical doctor positions in grad schools. Medical grad schools will favor the engineer over many other degrees. Another article I had read talked about how a distinctly vast majority of the Fortune 500 CEOs were engineering graduates. If I remember correctly, the top 10 positions of Fortune 500 CEOs, 8 of them were engineering graduates.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two chicks at the same time.

If that costs you a million bucks, you aren't shopping in the right catalog...

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #104 of 109
Wow, gone for the weekend, and this is how it turns out? Outsourcing drugs and 2 chicks at a time?

Anyway, Although I do like Biology, I don't really want to pursue it because of how easily it will remind me of Heath/diseases. Learning a trade seems interesting, but the thought of that makes me think about getting tired everyday and zapping the whole day away. But then again, you'd get to set your own hours. Perhaps architecture? I mean, that can't be outsourced(can it?).

One thing is for sure, I don't want to work for the government(politics related) or the army. Also, not doing the same repetitive tasks over and over again(as in proofreading/copy editing/assemblylinetypework.

Aug 4, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #105 of 109
Judging from the way our, and the world's economies are heading, learn Chinese or Hindi and then start your own company to export products from China or India. If you can combine inexpensive labor with very high quality control you'll make money almost no matter what you do.

BTW - why work for someone else making them money? Entrepreneurship is the way to go. Stay flexible and respond quickly to market demands with your own goals and ideas being implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back