In today's date and age, what's a good profession to pursue?
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #76 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand the strong feelings regarding the subject, but you really cannot compare voluntary cremation to the Holocaust. It would be like if I were say that I saw a mass grave in Iraq, and the thought of burial made me sick. Finding a proper process for dealing with the deceased is a very touchy subject, and I believe there are good reasons to do either.

I agree with you (cremation is cheaper, which works well for many people), but on a personal level, I could not imagine burning any of my family members. I don't think any Jews (secular or otherwise) can separate cremation from the Holocaust, but I would say it is often the only reasonable method for many other people. Can you imagine all of those people who get saddled with $10k of funeral costs for a relative?

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #77 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you (cremation is cheaper, which works well for many people), but on a personal level, I could not imagine burning any of my family members. I don't think any Jews (secular or otherwise) can separate cremation from the Holocaust, but I would say it is often the only reasonable method for many other people. Can you imagine all of those people who get saddled with $10k of funeral costs for a relative?

Now I see where you are coming from, and I can definitely understand the aversion to that route.

I personally believe that it is very cruel to stick the children or relatives with the bill if the deceased wished to be buried. Obviously things occur unexpectedly, but it should be a given (at least to me) that the service costs should be taken into account before death.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #78 of 109
When I was much younger, I wanted my ashes to be shot into the Sun. I figured such a service would be cheap and easy by the time I needed it. I am no longer this optimistic...

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #79 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3. *With a question of my own*, Does it really matter whether you go to a "Brand Name" college or not? I mean, is an employer more likely to hire someone who graduated from engineering from Harvard, than from Polytechnic, for example?

ahhahahahahahahhahaha harvard engineering hahahahahahahahhaha

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #80 of 109
I once worked with a newly minted engineering grad from Princeton, one from UCLA and one from Caltech. It wasn't even close which one was the brightest (Caltech!). I had the guy from Princeton plotting data while the rest of us actually did the work. He was a really nice guy, and it's not that he wasn't bright - but he was completely unprepared for our real world engineering tasks. He wanted to turn everything into a research project with a large flowery report, and he had a hard time with the idea that we just wanted the answers from his subtask so we could move on to the bigger problem - we didn't care about his theory on why the answer came out to be what it was.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #82 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once worked with a newly minted engineering grad from Princeton, one from UCLA and one from Caltech. It wasn't even close which one was the brightest (Caltech!). I had the guy from Princeton plotting data while the rest of us actually did the work. He was a really nice guy, and it's not that he wasn't bright - but he was completely unprepared for our real world engineering tasks. He wanted to turn everything into a research project with a large flowery report, and he had a hard time with the idea that we just wanted the answers from his subtask so we could move on to the bigger problem - we didn't care about his theory on why the answer came out to be what it was.

Princeton engineering...haha
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Seriously, why isn't the person doing economics? Isn't a Princeton economics degree an automatic shoe-in for IB (back in pre "economic meltdown")?

I say between Columbia engineering and Princeton engineering, I would pick neither! The thousands of MIT/Stanford/Caltech/Michigan/Berkley engineering students/laid-off alums are more than enough to pick from in this economy
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #83 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Princeton engineering...haha
darthsmile.gif
darthsmile.gif

Seriously, why isn't the person doing economics? Isn't a Princeton economics degree an automatic shoe-in for IB (back in pre "economic meltdown")?

I say between Columbia engineering and Princeton engineering, I would pick neither! The thousands of MIT/Stanford/Caltech/Michigan/Berkley engineering students/laid-off alums are more than enough to pick from in this economy
biggrin.gif

Actually, he quit to go back to school and get an MBA. Where did he go? Kellogg @ Northwestern...
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #84 of 109
when asked, I do not recommend engineering or computers anymore.

it will all be (is now) done in india, eastern europe, china; ALL places but the US. take my word, as someone who has seen outsourcing and offshoring kill a very good engineering base of talent here in the US.

go for a trade school! college is a waste of time for MANY people. the assumption of the american dream and college died about 10 yrs ago when outsourcing became 'the way' for corporations to increase profits and enjoy abusing their workers.

what is safe? physical things that can't be outsourced. fix cars, unplug drains, run wires on phone poles, build cabinets out of wood. physical things are safe. intellectual arts are going the way of the dodo bird, for the western world ;(

4 years in engineering school is a waste of money and time if you're a young american. you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COMPETE with world wages. don't even try ;( ;(

sorry. life is not a disney movie. the american dream is sold out.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #85 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There can be a difference between what it takes to *get* a job versus what it takes to do well in a job.

<joe vs volcano movie>
"I know he can get the job, but can he do the job? I'm not arguing that with you. (...) I'm not arguing that with you! I know he can get the job but can he do the job?"
</movie>

one of the funniest scenes in that movie
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #86 of 109
princeton engineering. For what its worth, they atleast have small class sizes. But I guess that doesn't help much. I'm still a horrible engineer. I don't write down anything, I do my design work and calculations on bathroom sheets (not toilet paper, you know that long continuous roll of paper that they have for washing hands -I normally ask the janitor if I can have the remaining rolls and every once in a while he's nice and does an "early" replacement on a roll). But yeah I'm no where near the grads from higher end schools who use their computers all day.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #87 of 109
Lobbiest.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #90 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the american dream is sold out.

Or, conversely, the American dream of unencumbered movement of goods and talent has become international.

That's what I do, and business is booming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back