In today's date and age, what's a good profession to pursue?
Jul 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 109

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I'll be going to college in 3 years, yet I have no clue what I want to pursue. I'll have to make a decision within the next two years, so I want some good advice about whats good to pursue today. I don't really care about the money, as long as I have a decent dwelling, the least amount of stress, and the most time for other/personal pursuits. What professions do you regret pursuing, and which ones do you recommend? Hopefully, this may help me make a personal decision.

I do have to admit, I happen to like designing things(although a horrible artist), fixing things, and helping people in some way. I'd have to say, I'm inclined toward technology, and I will not rest until a problem is solved.

Anyway,(sorry about the rude attitude, but its just that I assumed that many people would post something rude and unhelpful, that I actually became rude and unhelpful myself)
I tend to like Science and Math, and hate anything history related. I simply don't like remembering dates and events in history, and I get kind of scared about them, if you know what I mean. That's why I can't watch any war or Holocaust related movies. English is pretty boring, but like one of my favorite teachers said, "You don't have to like a teacher or subject to learn from it), so I do ok(85+) in the class. Needless to say, I don't like reading. I took biology this year, and I actually really liked it, but I just don't like anything health related, as I get scared from that as well. The actual concepts are pretty interesting, so any headers on biology related topics that are not health-related?

I (sadly) spend (too much) time on the internet on video game related/technology related websites/forums(lifehacker,vgchartz,engadget,joystiq,etc), but the fact is, I just seem to like those subjects. I've been trying to limit my time to 1-2 hours maximum per day, which is easier when I make myself check the sites at the end of the day, where I can just look at all the headlines instead of waiting for all of them. I really need to install that time tracker extension again.

Needless to say, I like gaming. Mostly Platformers(SM64, Banjoie, de Blob, etc), Racing games, and Shoot em ups. I cannot stand what is popular today, including sports games(I don't have the time or the interest), shooting games(mostly rehashes). I don't really care about the shiniest graphics, and put all emphasis on gameplay and interactivity(although both are not mutually exclusive). I'd have to say, Miyamoto has a great effect on me in this matter. I may have some interest here, but I simply do not want to sit in front of a computer all day.

Speaking of, I've been volunteering at my local library this summer(I mean, I have to rack up my volunteer hours somehow
smily_headphones1.gif
), and due to the recent rain showers in NYC, and the idiot at Verizon who thought it was a good idea to install the internet wire over a line on the roof, we absolutely have nothing to do. We cannot help people find books(dependent on the internet), checking in/out(also dependent on the internet), and I cannot help people solve technical problems, simply because there is nothing to solve. Since its been raining on and off for the past 2 weeks, we have had no internet for 2 weeks, so there has simply been nothing to do. I have learned to absolutely dread anything that is so connected with computers/technology. I mean, certainly, it is more convenient, but because everything is so dependent on the internet, nothing works when it goes down. So all the interlibrary holds just sit there, piling up, waiting until the internet comes back up.

I also like cooking and doing miscellaneous home improvement things, such as hanging up pictures that I recently took(hmm, photography, that's another favorite) or building cheap solar lights. I like drumming, but I cannot practice at home because I don't have the money/space(Living in Manhattan, mostly about space). Maybe I should pursue playing a drumlike instrument that I can actually play at home.

I like spending time with my family, and instead of im'ing or emailing, I like calling them instead(unlike many of today's youth). I feel that people simply do not spend enough time with their family, so I make the best effort to make sure I don't regret it when they leave permanently.

Hopefully that is enough for now. :/

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Warning: DO NOT POST ANYTHING STUPID, OR YOU WILL GET REPORTED.

Way to start a thread....

Lessee, social worker?

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 109
DON'T be a teacher. Long hours, no pay, and everyone wants to blame you for everything.

There's always a demand for morticians and physicians. Unless all of society collapses, we need a transportation infrastructure, so civil engineering's a reasonably safe bet.

But, really, no amount of money or stability can buy happiness in your job. What do you like to do? I enjoy programming, so I went into Computer Science. I don't regret it one bit.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 109
Wow - I think you are approaching this problem the wrong way. Nowhere in your post did you say anything about *you* - what subjects in school do you like/dislike? What do you do in your spare time? When you think of yourself in 10 years, what do you see? Where would you prefer to live? What are some jobs you could *never* see yourself doing? What do you think is the absolutely best job in the world?

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - I think you are approaching this problem the wrong way. Nowhere in your post did you say anything about *you* - what subjects in school do you like/dislike? What do you do in your spare time? When you think of yourself in 10 years, what do you see? Where would you prefer to live? What are some jobs you could *never* see yourself doing? What do you think is the absolutely best job in the world?

Hmm, good point. I'll update the original after dinner.
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 109
Social work, criminal justice, or psychology?

I'm a business major at a no-name college with no work experience, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up killing people for a living. I didn't have really have any direction at first, so I didn't take the initiative to get internships etc. Whatever you choose, go at it full force.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 109
Quote:

Hmm, good point. I'll update the original after dinner.
tongue.gif

Try losing the warning - that would help.

Unless you really do want to come across as some head-up-your-arse.

After all, we're here to help. And cajole. And mock.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 109
If you had $1 million, what would you do all day?

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try losing the warning - that would help.

Unless you really do want to come across as some head-up-your-arse.

After all, we're here to help. And cajole. And mock.
smily_headphones1.gif

+ 1 on the warning, around here something like that just doesn't make people want to help

I'm also in school, majoring in biomedical sciences with the intention of going on to medical school, I've also been toying with the idea of doing medical or microbiology research and just getting a PhD (that would be cheaper). Either way, I chose biology because I've been a bio nerd since I took my first class in bio. Even when I was little I was always "how does this work" "why does that work" "what's this", I feel like there was no other path for me. My point is, this economic situation sucks but you're going to be working for what? 40-50 years? do what you love, screw everything else.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 109
I'm going into my senior year this fall and then to college after that. I was planning to try engineering, but I don't know what school I want to go to. I enjoy technology, DIY, and figuring things out so it seems like it might be a good fit for me. I also have taken some drafting classes and I kind of like it so who knows.

From what I've gathered, the key is definitely to find something you like to do and not to settle for much less than that.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 109
Quote:

Warning: DO NOTPOST ANYTHING STUPID, OR YOU WILL GET REPORTED.

What? Nice attitude. Do you really expect to get valuable information from other members of this community with an OP like that? I have a graduate degree and a very good job in the same industry for the past 18 years and I'll be damned if I share any of the specifics with you.

REPORT THAT!!!

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 109
Most schools that have an engineering program will have and Introduction to Engineering class which is offered. Give that a shot, and if you like it, perhaps engineering is the answer you're looking for.

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? Nice attitude. Do you really expect to get valuable information from other members of this community with an OP like that? I have a graduate degree and a very good job in the same industry for the past 18 years and I'll be damned if I share any of the specifics with you.

REPORT THAT!!!

Nice
beerchug.gif

I fear he actually may be up his own arse. Sad. Enough time to reconsider, but dinner calls....

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

REPORT THAT!!!

I'm sorry, I just thought that some people would actually post something stupid like dealing drugs or prostitution, but I didn't really mean it like that. I removed it promptly.
redface.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 109
^ Drugs and prostitution are still very lucrative professions, but they're also incredibly dangerous. Strangely, I've known former street dealers turned bankers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back