In need of cable for HE-400.
Apr 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

opteamist

New Head-Fier
My HifiMan cans just came in recently and the cable is just long and annoying. So I'm trying to find a replacement cable and need to know which one gives the most bang for my buck. I never purchased aftermarket cables so I'm pretty clueless. I have heard great things about toxic cables, except they are a bit too long for me (3-5ft is perfect). I don't mind picking one up but if there are cheaper alternative and comparable yet shorter, why not? 

Thank you.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm not entirely sure, but most aftermarket cables can be had in any length and most termination. you might have to wait like three months to get a Toxic's cable.

as a cheaper alternative, maybe Headphonelounge or Forza AudioWorks. are they comparable? probably not.

the best bang for your buck cable is probably the one you make yourself. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Apr 8, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 10
  I'm not entirely sure, but most aftermarket cables can be had in any length and most termination. you might have to wait like three months to get a Toxic's cable.

as a cheaper alternative, maybe Headphonelounge or Forza AudioWorks. are they comparable? probably not.

the best bang for your buck cable is probably the one you make yourself. 

I'd be curious to hear why you think they're not comparable. Which model of cables did you try to compare? I think each of the makers have different lines of products (each with different construction properties) - knowing which ones you've tried will help to understand if we're comparing apples to apples.

@opteamist,  in my 2 yen worth, I think sadly there's no quick answer for this and encourage you to search and read up as much as you can. The main players are as already mentioned, Headphone Lounge, ForzaWorks, Toxic Cables, Double Helix Cables, HPL, Whiplash Audio, Moon Audio, ALO, and probably more that I've forgotten.

It'll probably help if you set a budget too and what your expectations are (or mention what other cable experiences you've had so at least so that there's some kind of baseline).

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 10
I have not compared any of those cables. the reason I said probably is mostly based on Toxic’s popularity, reviews, cable properties, and some personal experience with hi-end cables. in fact, I have never owned an aftermarket hp cable. I rather not expand on that, as it's likely to cause controversy and upset.

for example, I would not compare Siltech's cables to BJC's

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 10
  I have not compared any of those cables. the reason I said probably is mostly based on Toxic’s popularity, reviews, cable properties, and some personal experience with hi-end cables. in fact, I have never owned an aftermarket hp cable. I rather not expand on that, as it's likely to cause controversy and upset.

for example, I would not compare Siltech's cables to BJC's

Lenni, if you asked for advice about buying a car, would you take it from people who'd never driven?

Before you answer that, you can probably see the point I'm going to get at: Please don't provide advice without sound knowledge and experience. 
smile.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 10
I know what you mean, and I totally agree. I think perhaps my post was unclear about who I was referring to. what I meant was that probably Toxic's cables are better than either HPL's and FAW's. otherwise, it's indeed like comparing apple to apple.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 10
After repairing my cable for the 10th time and realizing that the left channel could no longer be saved I settled for this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFIMAN-HE-5-HE-6-HE-300-HE-400-HE-500-Hand-made-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-/111160922481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19e1b51171
The cable seems laminated together and quite sturdy, I don't really want to make any statements about the SQ changes based on my memory, but it's quite a suitable cable.  The adapter is a screw-on type so not universal with IEMs.  Build quality is surprisingly durable as well.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #9 of 10
...from Head-Fi.org's Posting Guidelines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Please don't recommend equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. You wouldn't recommend someone a car you've never driven or suggest someone live in a country you haven't been to, so recommending headphones and equipment you haven't owned or used is unhelpful. Even if you've seen the same comments about something from a dozen members, save discussion of that if you're intending to buy it yourself.

Likewise, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." So remember that you can derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music.

That's all I've got to add.  Also...

...because it's a happy pic - kinda. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back