In-Ear Monitors for iPhone/Mac & Computer
Aug 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

n1ck0

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum and it sounds like there are some good discussions on here so I hope you can help me out. I am looking to buy a set of in-ear monitors, mainly for use on my iPhone but also my MacBook Pro and sometimes at home on my PC. In the past I have been the owner of some Sony EX71's (which sounded pretty good to me at the time) and most recently I bought some Apple In-ear earphones because of the mic and control features for my iPhone that were the only set available at the time. The Apple ones have just broken and I know there are better sounding earphones on the market now so I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the ones I have looked at tell me which would be the best sounding. Here are the ones I have read about and some questions I have:

1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 ($250-$300, with a 10vi cable for iPhone. Do they sound THAT awesome for their price?)
2. Etymotic Hf3 ($180. Apparently their bass response isn't fantastic due to their 'true' sound?)
3. Bowers & Wilkins C5 ($180. These are new on the market and look very interesting, I'm worried the secure loop could bother me, but I'm unsure on their sound also)
4. Klipsch S5i ($120. Appear to be well built, thoughts?)
5. Jays a-jays four ($80, much cheaper than the others and I'm thinking the quality is too)
6. Monster Turbine w/ Control Talk ($190? I don't know much about these).

Ideally, I would not like to spend any more than $200, however if the Ultimate Ears really are that good I would consider it. If there is any others please let me know. I mainly listen to Rock/Metal music, but do have a wide range of genre's.

Cheers

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 17
What are you looking in the headphones bass,mids,highs?

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I would like a good mix of all, but they need to have good bass.

monster turbines seem the best for you on your list

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 ($250-$300, with a 10vi cable for iPhone. Do they sound THAT awesome for their price?) 2. Etymotic Hf3 ($180. Apparently their bass response isn't fantastic due to their 'true' sound?)
3. Bowers & Wilkins C5 ($180. These are new on the market and look very interesting, I'm worried the secure loop could bother me, but I'm unsure on their sound also)
4. Klipsch S5i ($120. Appear to be well built, thoughts?)
5. Jays a-jays four ($80, much cheaper than the others and I'm thinking the quality is too)
6. Monster Turbine w/ Control Talk ($190? I don't know much about these).

I have not heard all of these personally, so I'll try my best.

UE TripleFi (Haven't heard): I've read it has a nice V-shaped signature (stressed highs and lows; recessed mids).  ~300 USD since the vi model is no longer produced.

Etymotic HF3: Best bang for the buck in this area.  Slightly recessed bass with decent impact.  Lacks a bass body though (which is what you were referring to).  If you want beefy bass, stay away.  Otherwise, the bass is actually really great.  Mids are extremely detailed, have a slight peak in the mid-high region.  Highs are beautifully crafted.  ~110 dollars Amazon direct (authorized retailer).

B&W C5: A classic V-shap again.  TripleFis are most likely much better quality.  Overall good quality, but you can find the same quality (actually better quality) in something like the ThinkSound TS02.  Comparable to the Hephaes in sound quality.  The bass is beefy and powerful and digs deep (requires ~20 hours burn in before the bass flab/mud goes away).  The bass is thumpy with lots of texture (overdone at times).  The mids are recessed, but still clear.  You lose details though.  The highs are exaggerated to create a V-shape in the signature and can sound smeared at times.  ~180 USD MSRP (Will be that way for a while)

Klipsch Image S5/S4/Promedia (Haven't heard these): They are all the same, I'd recommend getting the S4/Promedia to save cash.  The lows are supposed to be extremely powerful and beefy.  The highs are said to be sibilant and harsh, it is also said that it goes away with burn in (~200 hours).  No word on mids. ~90-100 USD (authorized dealers)

A-Jays 4 (Haven't heard): I haven't read much on them either, sorry, they aren't too popular on Head-Fi :frowning2: ~60 USD

Monster Turbine (Haven't heard): Prices range depending on model.  All models sound different.  Copper being the most balanced with more accuracy in the highs, lows, and mids.  The golds are said to be bass monsters with rolled off highs.  Miles Davis is said to be smoother in the lows.  Stock ones are bass heavy.  I haven't read up too much on these, sorry.  Prices range from 160 (stock) to 250 (Miles Davis).  All with control talk.

---Other suggestions---

ThinkSound TS02+Mic: As stated above, V-shaped signature with really delicately textured lows (not the best texture though) that rarely is ever overdone.  The impact is really powerful on these.  Highs are slightly exaggerated to create the V-shape, but aren't as smeared.  Mids are recessed, you get beautiful clarity, but lack a little in the detail (not as much lost as the C5). ~90 USD

UE 500vi: Bass emphasized signature.  Thumpy, powerful bass that has amazing texture (IDK if I got a perfect signature with them or not; however, I've only burned mine in for about 75 hours).  These are bass emphasized.  You will lose some detail in both the highs and mids (more in the highs than mids).  The highs are in a way hidden though, but really light on their feet and delicately presented.  They are there, but you have to listen for them. 

Apple IEMs: Get the Etys if you have the extra 20-30 dollars, otherwise, these are actually really great.  You get an additional bass body (still might be lacking for you though) and less bright sound out of them.  The highs don't extend as deeply as the Etys though.  Mids are detailed and clear (Etys beat them out in clarity and detail by a margin). ~70-80 to get from reputable dealer, avoid fakes.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 17
Well, these are some great suggestions, thankyou. To give you a little more information, I own the Apple IEM's and thought the bass was probably enough for me. I would like a set that had the same lows with perhaps bass that was a bit more punchier. Would the Ety's be good?

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Well, these are some great suggestions, thankyou. To give you a little more information, I own the Apple IEM's and thought the bass was probably enough for me. I would like a set that had the same lows with perhaps bass that was a bit more punchier. Would the Ety's be good?

Etys have a tad bit less body, but slightly more punch (impact) if you can get a great seal with them (to test the seal, you get punchy bass that is impactful, but small; the highs will extend a mile though...  In a good way).  They are a good upgrade to the ADDIEMs.  If you are looking for bass similrr to the ADDIEMs, I'd give the Etys a try for sure (bass is definitely punchier) and have a smaller mid-bass hump. If the RE0s had a remote on them, I'd point you that way, but these are the next closest thing (better actually :)).  The Ety MC3 is also not a bad idea, but HF3s are much better overall (MC3 might beat the HF3 in bass though; wouldn't know for sure since I haven't heard them, I'd expect them to have more impact though).

EDIT: went back to AB the Etys with the ADDIEMs and the ADDIEMs have a much bigger bass body than the Etys, but the impact was about the same (slight win to the Etys though).  The Etys were punchier and went deeper though while the ADDIEMs have more of a mid-bass emphasis. The impact on the Etys are much better with a good seal. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 17
If you are looking to keep your budget tight, Get the Sennheiser CX485's from Best Buy, they are around $70 (were on sale for $50 last week) Def better than the S4i for less. I think they are better than the Bose IE2.

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 17
Ok then, yes I have read that you can get more bass from them with a better seal. Etymotic also has the option of getting the custom fit plugs which looks like a good option. Perhaps the bass would be the best with those? I really liked the look of these from the start but wasn't sure if the bass was going to be enough for me. If only I could test them :S. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Ok then, yes I have read that you can get more bass from them with a better seal. Etymotic also has the option of getting the custom fit plugs which looks like a good option. Perhaps the bass would be the best with those? I really liked the look of these from the start but wasn't sure if the bass was going to be enough for me. If only I could test them :S. 

Etymotics have much more bass punch and impact than the ADDIEMs for sure, after ABing them for a while.  The ADDIEMs have the bass body (how bass can mingle around for a little while after the initial strike). If you purchase from Amazon, they normally have an amazing return policy, IDK if not liking them is valid for a return though.  I wish I could afford the custom tips right now :p 

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 17
^ The jump from headphones to higher end IEM's is a big one, I just took the leap myself, I cannot tell you if it is worth it (My $280 EX1000's didn't fit with any of the tips so I'm having customs done, and I had to send my UM3X RC's in for exchange, the cord was damaged on arrival, I already got the custom tips for them) but fit is vital...

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #13 of 17
Atrio MG7 is also another choice.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
If you are looking to keep your budget tight, Get the Sennheiser CX485's from Best Buy, they are around $70 (were on sale for $50 last week) Def better than the S4i for less. I think they are better than the Bose IE2.

Ive heard the Sennheiser's have muddy bass though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back