In-ear earphones to last more than 3 months
Aug 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Mastaan

New Head-Fier
Dear friends,

I am looking for earphones that will last more than 3 months. I am fed up of breaking my earphones and spending so much on them over and over again. Warranty helps but mailing it in is a big pain in the butt, then have to wait for it to arrive, not to mention when courier loses your item. I plug in my earphones on the computer and with my iPhone. I have bought sub 100 earphones to last me only 1 month at max. I put my iPhone in my pocket and the head of the plug is being tugged and bent a lot. I want earphones that will last more than one year. I want the wires to be really strong, so I can use it as a rope in case of emergency. The wire connection at the speaker and the plug should be super strong, and the speaker housing should be unbreakable with really good sound. If a car drives over it, the car should break. 
angry_face.gif

If its too much I am asking for in earphones, then let me know of ear-phones that are close to this.

Thank you,
Mastaan

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 28
headphones last as forever as long as you take care of them. I have 2 sets of ibuds, 1 of them is almost 6 years old and I do use them once in awhile (they are my who gives a f buds) I have only broken a few and that was because the cord would get stuck on something and i walk away, leaving my ears in pain with new cordless IEMs. That being said shure makes thick wired heavier duty (still very light duty) IEMs. HJE900 have a very strong casing but the wire is easy to mess up as my friend has within about 2 months, but then again he takes care of them prob as well as you. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 28
Absolutely not true alv44.
most of sub 100$ IEMS are not made to last. This are made to break for makers can sell you another one and another and so for and so on...
If you want a good pair that will last, you must invest some cash. I recommend Ortofon eQ5 or e-Q7 or even Ck10.
point is if you want well made thing, you got to pay more then 100$  Prepare to spend 250US and up and that is if you order from abroad (import them)
I got mine eQ5 from Dimitri
his prices are well below market price. Good customer service. Highly recommended

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 28

Quote:
Absolutely not true alv44.
most of sub 100$ IEMS are not made to last. This are made to break for makers can sell you another one and another and so for and so on...
If you want a good pair that will last, you must invest some cash. I recommend Ortofon eQ5 or e-Q7 or even Ck10.
point is if you want well made thing, you got to pay more then 100$  Prepare to spend 250US and up and that is if you order from abroad (import them)
I got mine eQ5 from Dimitri
his prices are well below market price. Good customer service. Highly recommended

I highly doubt the manufacturer deliberately created their IEM's to purposely malfunction on the user.
blink.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 28
Is this some kind of viral for ironbuds? Nearly any over-$10 IEMs can last years if treated nicely.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 28
Sennheiser IE8, CK100, JVC FX700, FX500, HJE900 and Westone 4/3.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
Dear friends,

I am looking for earphones that will last more than 3 months. I am fed up of breaking my earphones and spending so much on them over and over again. Warranty helps but mailing it in is a big pain in the butt, then have to wait for it to arrive, not to mention when courier loses your item. I plug in my earphones on the computer and with my iPhone. I have bought sub 100 earphones to last me only 1 month at max. I put my iPhone in my pocket and the head of the plug is being tugged and bent a lot. I want earphones that will last more than one year. I want the wires to be really strong, so I can use it as a rope in case of emergency. The wire connection at the speaker and the plug should be super strong, and the speaker housing should be unbreakable with really good sound. If a car drives over it, the car should break. 
angry_face.gif

If its too much I am asking for in earphones, then let me know of ear-phones that are close to this.

Thank you,
Mastaan

There is actually nothing like that, even if you spend a lot of money.

Some earphones are made more sturdy than others, but the advice to buy an ortofon is terrible. You Will Break It. The new cable is only okay and the stress relief is questionable.

As usual, it's time for Kunlun to give The Correct Answer. People will agree or disagree according to their wisdom (agreement) or lack of wisdom (disagreement), but I will now speak. You might want to sit down for this:

Your problem is that you don't take care of your audio gear. That needs to change, period. Act like a child and your toys will break. Rather than suggest this or that iem, such as the Klipsch S5 (which is build ruggedly and will last longer than some of the expensive iems named in other posts), I am going to suggest that once you learn to take care of your things, you by-pass the notion of a cabled iem entirely and go wireless.

Sleek Audio does high-quality wireless iems and you should look into them. http://sleek-audio.com/products/sleek-wireless 
The SA7 is coming out soon and the CT7 custom should be excellent.
You can still break these, if you mistreat them (particularly if you throw them around or are careless in storage), but no cable means no broken cable.

This is excellent advice.

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 28
Future Sonics Atrio are a really rugged IEM. I have had mine for ~4 years now and it's still going strong. No problems with it at all and it has been tugged out of my ears quite a number of times!

Plus, you will not find better customer service either!

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Your problem is that you don't take care of your audio gear. That needs to change, period. Act like a child and your toys will break. Rather than suggest this or that iem, such as the Klipsch S5 (which is build ruggedly and will last longer than some of the expensive iems named in other posts), I am going to suggest that once you learn to take care of your things, you by-pass the notion of a cabled iem entirely and go wireless.

+1 to Kunlun

Taking proper care of the IEM will make all the difference. Get some earbuds with a longer cord and clips... or just be careful when using them and put them in a case when not using it. The case on the Klipsch S5 is pretty sweet.

Personally, i use the Monster Lil' Jamz (http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5544) when im at the gym and they are great. Yes, they are overpriced for the SQ... but they are pretty durable. Dropped them, stepped on them, Hit them with weights, etc... and they are still playing fine.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 28
Thanks for all the suggestion, the person telling me to invest over 250 dollars on headphones is crazy. I am going through all the websites and using scientific approaches to test their durability from pictures and reviews. I also think wireless is a good solution but will it fit in my pocket? Let me tell you guys a story, I bought a pair of ear phones 2 months ago from Skull Candy for 40 bucks, my friend told me to get it, because they have life time warranty. One month after then BAM it goes, sounds like someone added high pass and low pass filters all over the mother ******. Then I shipped it one month ago for 5 bucks, got a code today for 30 bucks. The same product on their website is 44 bucks. Does it make any sense. Evil people at work at Skull Candy, no wonder they have that skull as their logo. Anyway, so I got something for my warranty for the first time in my life, pretty excited. Going to wait one month till I buy a pair of headphones. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestion, the person telling me to invest over 250 dollars on headphones is crazy

I think you found the wrong hobby by coming to headfi.
Invest some money in a carrying case for your IEMs or something cause seriously $40 on crappy head phones every month adds up to >$250 pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back