IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,531 of 3,340
I will have to disagree about being fickle. The rah lack treble energy and sparkle of any kind. The bass and mods and soundstage are all fantastic. The zenith had hot treble, the aten was slightly rolled off, and the rah has better mids than the aten but no treble love

I am with you in that I haven't found the sweet spot for treble yet. But this could be due to hearing (I am in my 50s) or it could be due to what other IEMs have made me accustomed to, or simply my sound preference.

Having said that, the Rah is staying with me, joining its Aten and Zenith brethren, and waits on me to decide which of Bob's next wild flights of fancy will join the club!

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,532 of 3,340
Hey Guys, and any Gals out there, Just to be clear, when I was talking about fickle, i wasnt talking about the treble.... I'll just leave it there and wont revisit that particular subject.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,533 of 3,340
The one thing I don't like about these headphones is that there is so many different tuning options it's hard to tell what Bob actually had in vision when he created them and what exactly his signature is. AKA too much work on my part lol

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,534 of 3,340
So with all the discussion about treble/no treble I'm trying to figure out if the Rah is worth the asking price (and by extension the PB One)? This is assuming of course that one can get a good fit.

I'm very much on the well worth it side for the Rah, even more so if you were able to get it for the discounted price.
I was able to get a very suitable filter combo for myself relatively quickly, although well worth trying other combos after listening to other people's experiences here.
I still don't have a favourite filter for the Zenith yet. I also found that the tips that you use can change the whole character with which ever filters you use so that's another factor one needs to consider.
The Rah is probably the first IEM where I haven't considered tweaking it with EQ. The big soundstage I'm getting in comparison to my other headphones/earphones has been quite addictive.
I quite like the colour scheme on the PBOne. I'm thinking that slightly larger planar can only be a positive addition. Tossing about the idea of finding a new owner for Rah to finance a PBOne ….. This audio journey I'm having has no sense to it :)

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,535 of 3,340
The one thing I don't like about these headphones is that there is so many different tuning options it's hard to tell what Bob actually had in vision when he created them and what exactly his signature is. AKA too much work on my part lol

Well, as far as I can recall, his favourite filters have always been the one without mesh inside and with the least bass attenuation (Pretty much resulting in no filter at all... Exception might be the Aten, not sure).

So to experience his vision of the product, that's how you should tune them. Interestingly enough, for the RAH, the Black/Blue filter (or no filter) combination is preferred by lots of people in this thread.

Jan 7, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1,536 of 3,340
IMR iems, ever since the R1, have always done great with shallow insertion for me. Expresses their speaker-like nature.
On zeniths single filter system was shallow fit for me and i agree it did open up soundstage a bit. But at the same time while moving it sometimes loosened up with spiral dots.
2 filter system is deeper insertion and are perfect fit for me on the go. And with rah soundstage is better regardless. I dont have aten.

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,537 of 3,340
Pictures of the PB One are online now - it looks like a slightly darker RAH

IMR_PB_1_2_600x600.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,541 of 3,340
Who's actually considering R3 Phase? I am really interested in it. But have no idea where it will stand among other IMR iems.

Im tempted as the Rah is my first IMR and it should give a different approach. Do we know if it is closed back?
I’m tempted by the Halcyon because it can be used closed, which I’m assuming will be better for use with other people around, so not to annoy them.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,542 of 3,340
Im tempted as the Rah is my first IMR and it should give a different approach. Do we know if it is closed back?
I’m tempted by the Halcyon because it can be used closed, which I’m assuming will be better for use with other people around, so not to annoy them.
The PB One won’t be closed back, that’s for sure, I can see the vent whereby all the noise leaks on the Rah.

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #1,543 of 3,340
The PB One won’t be closed back, that’s for sure, I can see the vent whereby all the noise leaks on the Rah.

I hate to be a stickler for the details here but you are correct the PBOne isn’t closed back and is infact a Rah essentially which has 2 vents where the sound emanates from so graciously.

However, he was tempted by the Halcyon as that can be used closed and also the different approach is for the R3 Phase to have something different to his Rah approach.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,544 of 3,340
I really like the idea of being able control if the iems are open or closed. Like it was on zeniths. While they stayed open most of the time, on very windy days it was a life saver.
I just think the mechanism should be a bit more refined and smaller than Zs or R1. I like how halcyons port looks. Could be a step in a right direction.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,545 of 3,340
I really like the idea of being able control if the iems are open or closed. Like it was on zeniths. While they stayed open most of the time, on very windy days it was a life saver.
I just think the mechanism should be a bit more refined and smaller than Zs or R1. I like how halcyons port looks. Could be a step in a right direction.

It looks fantastic but you can’t change it on the fly quickly on windy days.

Imagine how crazy a Semper will be with all those drivers and maybe the tuning port like halcyon. I mean like physically

Users who are viewing this thread

Back