IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #1,006 of 3,340
Im following your experiments @EWASS with interest. I'm still on black/ black and will complete full burn in before I try this and other filters out.

I feel the same as you that during burn in they have lost some of their magic whilst tightening up and becoming more coherent. I think they are better now than out of the box but miss that holographic sound they had. So blue filters will be the first I try.

All I can say is for me going to the blue gave back 50% of the holographic sound and going to just the lower nozzle gave me back the other 50% plus another 25% for good measure but in what can only be described by your words about stax having a fizz lively energy that adds to the music. I’ve never heard electrostats but your words for my experience now.

Like I said previously I never set out to change the sound, only increase comfort. The most comfortable will always sound the best because it’s just then you and the music with the equipment getting out of the way. So I’m not oblivious to the fact that the changes in sound I’m experiencing could purely be fitment rather than the mesh removal.

Even now I’m still having problems with comfort but and still swap tips around, I found spin fits stay on the nozzle too. To be clear when I say o have strange ears, I have some ear moulds and I have problems with those too so this is certainly a things in my ears issue rather than a specific IEM or tip issue.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #1,011 of 3,340
I think grey bass and black top filter is pretty much the choice for me.

Much to my wife's annoyance I've had this Rah stuck in my head all holidays.
It was a real toss up between grey and red bass filters, but I seem to get a slightly more layered sound with the greys.

Likewise I seem to only get a nice 3D layered sound with the black tops. The others I tried seem to flatten the overall sound stage for me.

The Rah sounds best for me snuggled deep into the ear canal. Soft silicon tips worked best for me. I tried wider tips that placed the Rah further out of canal and while it actually seemed give full bass, it seemed to make the vocals slightly out of phase with the rest of the music.

While on the go my Rah is used on the iBasso Dx160 or the iBasso DC-01 with the Note10+. At home I'll also connect it to the XDP-30R and E1DA.

Am having a fantastic time with this Rah. Other headset sound a little anaemic if I switch over to them. I need a little time to adjust back to them.

I've been adding to a playlist that I created about 2 months ago in anticipation of the Rah. Mostly vocal stuff. I used the P1 most of the time with a little help from the Shuoer Tape and recently with the Rah. Linked here for anyone interested:

https://tidal.com/playlist/67d1c24d-b903-43c5-939e-f1f4b70bbdc8

Happy Holidays everyone
20191226_094341.jpg 20191226_095132.jpg

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #1,015 of 3,340
They sound exactly like the atens, speaking of which anyone want to buy my atens? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue:

kidding... these don't sound like the atens and more importantly are more comfortable then the atens!...

I modded my cable a bit to make the fit perfect alot like I did on the zeneths (profile pic) I'll upload a picture a little later to show you all. I highly rec the mod esp if you're having fit/comfort issues.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,016 of 3,340
How do you like the tape?

I like the Tape for the clarity and sparkle for instruments and percussion. I think it's a pretty good bang buck IEM. It gave me a really good first try impression compared to the others I tried before it.
I still prefer the overall tone for vocals with the planar sets I have though.

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,017 of 3,340
Doesn’t seem like the rah is all that different from the aten
I've not had a chance to try the Aten. Is it a very open IEM in terms is sound leakage?

Dec 29, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,018 of 3,340
I like the Tape for the clarity and sparkle for instruments and percussion. I think it's a pretty good bang buck IEM. It gave me a really good first try impression compared to the others I tried before it.
I still prefer the overall tone for vocals with the planar sets I have though.

This mimics my experience. The Tape's 4k sparkle is nice. But it is too recessed in things before 4k, if only it dropped a little less steep. Still it is not anything serious for those that want to get it.

The Rah has less 4Khz than the Tape, but it sounds to me it transitions into it that 4k nice and slowly. It is not a sudden increase from 2kHz to 4Khz if it was graphed (I imagine), but a more gradual increase from 1kHz to 4kHz. (Rah has more sound stage more importantly)

Of course this is subjective to my hearing. I don't got the equipment to confirm this. For all I know it could be a slow zigzagging increase from 1Khz in the Rah, and not gradually.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,019 of 3,340
Okay here we go:
upload_2019-12-29_13-40-20.png

For me this puts the IEM in the perfect position in my ear and I'm pretty sure I could go bungee jumping without them falling out.

If you want a list of what was used please let me know! The toughest part was finding a decent cable with the angled plugs, but thanks to the community hear I got a source for those too!

Dec 29, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,020 of 3,340
Okay here we go:

For me this puts the IEM in the perfect position in my ear and I'm pretty sure I could go bungee jumping without them falling out.

If you want a list of what was used please let me know! The toughest part was finding a decent cable with the angled plugs, but thanks to the community hear I got a source for those too!

I for one would like to see the validation which has been laid to this claim of Fort Knox style security that not even a bungee can penetrate :p

Your implementation is as weird as mine for fitting though but yours does look like my idea of hell as it’s really stiff and intrusive appearing. I usually cut off the ear guides which come with cables when they are heat shrinked onto the cable, this is mainly on braided cables. On the supplied IMR cable I don’t mind the form as the cable over each ear is singular. I’m super happy you find your own comfort though, nothing worse than uncomfortable music sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back